• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Initial K16 fairing removal steps - pics

mneblett

Here's some pics of the lower fairing panels removal, and some additional bits.

The two lower panels must be removed to remove the side panel.

The front lower panel has four screws, two underneath, two inside the radiator opening (there are three screws inside the opening -- remove the top and bottom -- middle stays):

CIMG2045.jpg

CIMG2043.jpg

Note that at the top rear of the front lower panel is a ~1" tall post that fits into a rubber grommet in the side panel. While relatively easy to get the right front lower down/out, with the optional fog light it is difficult to get the left front lower down/out without breaking the post -- go slow and don't apply bending forces to the post as you pull the panel down, and it will eventually come out.

CIMG2046.jpg

CIMG2047.jpg

The rear lower fairing has three screws, two under the glove box door, and one at the front:

CIMG2053.jpg

CIMG2052.jpg

Note the lower has a hook on the top, so the bottom of the lower must be pivoted outward to release the hook from the panel above:

CIMG2054.jpg

CIMG2056.jpg

The fairing side panel has seven screws around its periphery, one at the top and one at the bottom of the turn signal, one under the air deflector, two on the rear (rider) side of the panel, and two along the bottom of the panel:

CIMG2049.jpg

CIMG2059.jpg

CIMG2048.jpg

CIMG2057.jpg

CIMG2046.jpg

CIMG2050.jpg

Last edited:
Other bits:

To get to the high beam head lights, remove the single screw holding the filler panel/air intake port, and slide the panel ~1" to the rear and lift out:

CIMG2063.jpg

Remove the two screws holding the fairing speaker cover panel, one under the instrument panel and one on top (raise the windshield to get to it):

CIMG2088.jpg

CIMG2089.jpg

After removing the speaker cover, remove the three screws holding the speaker enclosure, and unplug the wiring connector at the lower right after you lift out the enclosure:

CIMG2090.jpg

That exposes the high beam cover to access the bulb. Note just to the right of the white data sticker on the left is a rubber grommet -- a tab on the back of the speaker enclosure rests in this grommet:

CIMG2092.jpg

This is likely where I will locate my garage door opener, as it it right next to a high beam wire (this is a F2P unit that uses two high beam flashes to open the garage door) [[EDIT: the high beam wires are in the right side plug -- see F2P install thread]]:

CIMG2094.jpg

Note when reinstalling the filler panel, the hook at the front which must slide behind the fairing panel:

CIMG2103.jpg

To remove the colored tank top panel, remove the two screws holding the top triangular "hump" panel, one next to the steering head, one under the filler panel, then slide the panel to the rear and lift off to disengage its tabs:

CIMG2066.jpg

CIMG2064.jpg

To remove the colored tank panel, start with the two small screws at the rear:

CIMG2065.jpg

Remove the one on the top:

CIMG2067.jpg

The one screw at the front should have been removed when the top triangle panel was removed, then slide the panel to the rear to disengage the two front tabs at the lower front portion of the panel:

CIMG2064.jpg

When reinstalling, these tabs and the tabs under the top edge of the panel must engage their respective slots, and the front tip seats on this rubber grommet:

CIMG2068.jpg

CIMG2101.jpg

CIMG2100.jpg

Enough for now -- more to come. :D

Last edited:
Nice pics Mark, I like your color choice, I see you are already doing some mods.
See you in Bloomsburg, Mike
:clap

plastic removal

mine went just the same way, just.... someone didnt put the screws in the bottom of the turn indicator.

R

Very Helpful

Thanks for the info and pics. I was looking for info on installing a tank bag and needed to take the panels off. Your thread was very helpful!

Back