• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

North American Road Atlas Preference?

mark from maine

Time to replace my 2001 AAA N.A. Road Atlas. Was wondering what others like/use for paper maps that cover North America. Yes I have a gps but still like the paper maps for seeing the "big picture".

Thanks,
Mark

Time to replace my 2001 AAA N.A. Road Atlas. Was wondering what others like/use for paper maps that cover North America. Yes I have a gps but still like the paper maps for seeing the "big picture".

Thanks,
Mark
+1 on the big picture. I'm a fan of the Rand McNally maps and generally find some of the best maps are sold at the large branded truck stops-Flying J, Truckstops of America (TA). I have found perfectly suitable RM maps at the Home Depot for real cheap prices, they just have a few HD ads to contend with. Gary

Thanks,
Mark

If I desire great detail for a region of travel, I'll acquire individual maps (in larger, easier to read print, a nod to my aging eyes). You can get them at the local Office Depot or order them on-line.

But most times, I just toss the latest year of the Rand-McNally medium-sized , spiral-bound atlas in my trunk and go.

I retain each previous year, since it's also convinient to sometimes tear out a 'state' or two, trim them down to tank bag window size, and laminate them. That way, an entire state can sit visible to me on my tank bag as I travel - often helpful. :thumb

Thanks,
Mark

+1 on the big picture. I'm a fan of the Rand McNally maps and generally find some of the best maps are sold at the large branded truck stops-Flying J, Truckstops of America (TA). I have found perfectly suitable RM maps at the Home Depot for real cheap prices, they just have a few HD ads to contend with. Gary

rand-mcnally-road-atlas-large-scale-2011-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Rand. Hands down.

Nothing beats poring over maps on "Non-Riding" Days w/ a cup of coffee at the kitchen table. You can't do that w/ a GPS.
I've planned, photocopied, hi-lited RMcN for years. (Look for wire bound. Lays flat on copier.)
Yellow for the main route... Other colors for side attractions on said route.
Nothing beats a map and the only thing that changed was my use of a magnifying glass.

For overall trip planning or location on my tank bag I prefer the US Regional Maps: Northeast, Southeast Central, Northwest, etc.

I also carry a Rand McNally atlas for more detail if I need to refer to it to find the little roads not on the regional maps.

I usually stop at any welcome center and pick up that state's DOT map. They are usually better and more up to date than any of the commercial vendor maps.

Cartography is interesting. Maps show different things for different folks. Some do a better job of showing the relative size of towns. Some do a better job of always showing the route designation number or letter(s). Some state maps rip and fall apart the first time you try to refold them.

Kansas has poor route designation. Missouri and Texas are superb. New Mexico maps disintegrate if you look at them wrong.

Even state maps don't have enough detail for me, I usually get regional maps as much as I can, and Google maps is my friend.

Large scale atlases, really are of no use to me and the roads I travel.

Even state maps don't have enough detail for me, I usually get regional maps as much as I can, and Google maps is my friend.

Large scale atlases, really are of no use to me and the roads I travel.

For really detailed stuff the Delorme State Atlas series is very good. A state is divided into somewhere between 40 and 70 pages or so, depending on the size of the state. I have a few of these, but very many are hard to bring along on a cross country trip unless you are in a minivan or something.

For even more detail ckeck out USGS maps.

The Michelin Road Atlas has some useful features. Just bought one for an up-coming coast to coast trip. Great supplement for the GPS and getting the big picture.

It's spiral bound.
It covers the U.S. & Canada.
Rather than list the maps alphabetically by state, the maps are in sequence west to east. The map from say page 80 continues to page 81, which then continues on page 82, to 83, etc.
There's a small mini-map on top of the page, showing the region the larger map is from.

I found that my local Barnes & Noble book seller is a good map source. What they don't have, they'll order for you.

I retain each previous year, since it's also convinient to sometimes tear out a 'state' or two, trim them down to tank bag window size, and laminate them. That way, an entire state can sit visible to me on my tank bag as I travel - often helpful. :thumb

Exactly what I do :)

For really detailed stuff the Delorme State Atlas series is very good.................

I have most of the states in S of NY, down the spine into GA, and VT I think. Thy are bulky, but I think next year, if I want to explore some more in the Cumberland area I am just going to rip out the 10-15 pages from my VA, KY, TH NC maps and carry those. The small laptop with Mapsource works well at night to fish around too.

Not quite as all-inclusive (U.S. -wide) as an atlas, AAA state road maps are readily available, as are city maps (and sections of cities) down to the "back alley) resolution (the degree of detail is what I like about them). And at 4"x9", they also take less space.

'Course, ya have to be a Member to get 'em "free".

Back