• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW 50L Duffel

dukekaboom

One Man Wolfpack
So I recently got a BMW 50L waterproof duffel which came with numerous straps but I have no idea how to use them to secure the thing to the back of the bike (I have a K1300S with panniers and luggage rack). Does anyone have a photo or some instructions on how to securely duffel to the motorcycle?

Kent

Kent - I've got the same duffel and have used it for 10,500 miles of riding last Fall and this Spring. It's a great piece of equipment. I don't have it on the bike now, but will put the straps on the RT's luggage rack, take some photos and send them to you somehow. Essentially, the plastic clip part of each strap goes through the loop at the end of the strap (going around the rack as you do this). Then the plastic clip male parts mate with the female parts, one of which is on each lower corner of the duffel.

Here are some photos of the BMW 50L Duffel on my RT:

The first three photos show my placement of the four corner-securing straps around the luggage rack...

DSC_7682.jpg

DSC_7683.jpg

DSC_7684.jpg

The last photos show the duffel mounted on the rack with the male fitting (on the bike) mating with the female fitting on the duffel...

DSC_7685.jpg

DSC_7686.jpg

DSC_7687.jpg

DSC_7688.jpg

When I use the duffel, I usually have something tied under the fluorescent panel. I keep the panel facing to the rear as much as possble, and cinch it down tightly. Finally, I secure the carrying handle to the rack using the velcro straps on it.

Here's a final photo showing how it all looks secured down. This photo taken on the Lewes, DE to Cape May, NJ ferry:

DSC_6956-1.jpg

Last edited:
BMW 50L Duffel Response

When I use the duffel, I usually have something tied under the fluorescent panel. I keep the panel facing to the rear as much as possble, and cinch it down tightly. Finally, I secure the carrying handle to the rack using the velcro straps on it.

Here's a final photo showing how it all looks secured down.[/IMG]

John,

That makes perfect sense -- love the thought BMW put into the loops with clips (and gave me a few extras in case I want to use it on another bike or I lose a few). By the way, your RT looks great. I'm really surprised it didn't get tossed around on that ferry. Is it stable on just the side stand? Thanks again.

Kent

I'm really surprised it didn't get tossed around on that ferry. Is it stable on just the side stand?

Thanks for the compliments on the bike. It has really proven to be a fine machine for me...especially so after I added the Russell Day-Long saddle this year.

As for the ferry, I was prepared to tie the bike down, but once I drove onto the boat, I was ordered to put it in the bow with the bike facing 90-degrees to the direction of travel. The guy who was directing me told me exactly how to place it. I got it facing across the boat on the sidestand and with the transmission in gear. He then chocked my front wheel. I said I was prepared to tie the bike down, but he said it was not necessary, and that I could not do so. Ultimately, it turned out the boat did not pitch at all in the 1.5 hour trip, but it rolled a lot. The bike was rock-steady throughout.

A few days later I took the Orient Point, NY to New London, CT ferry, and did tie the bike down there with one of those ratcheting nylon straps (a $14 item at Lowe's). A slippery, wet deck, and lack of confidence in the weather (high winds and rain) made me want to insure the bike didn't move. Here's a photo of my second ferry ride bike location:

IMG_0462.jpg

But again, a non-eventful trip.

I hope your duffel works as well for you as mine has. I did find that the interior is a little dark, but this turned out not to be a problem.

BMW 50L Duffel Response

Thank you John. I'm sure my duffel will serve me well. I managed to pack a three-day weekend's worth of clothing and stuff in my panniers (without expanding them) so I'm sure the duffel will cover me for the trip to Bloomsburg, PA this July (or any other trip I can conceive).

Kent

Back