• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

KY: Pickup tries to run motorcycle off the road

This is some crazy ****, few years a go i was in similar situation with crazy soccer mom in the mini van. Only thing i had to do allow her to come up close enough so i can reach and touch her vehicle(happen in lower speeds then the video posted),at this point me and her car make contact = accident,she was arrested for several moving volition including fallowing to close, improper lane usage,failing to slow down and avoiding accident,leaving place of accident and assault with motor vehicle.

cars suck.:bikes

Its obviously a thrill to fly

Its apparent that the road is a thrill ride for bikers, before the guys even encounter the pick up they were doing around 70-80mph in my estimation. I think ALL involved are IDIOTS and the two guys on bikes could have just as easily killed somebody walking down the road, crossing the street, backing out of their driveway or simply checking their mail box. Unfortunately STUPIDITY is not a crime so the bikers are free to find another road to burn up and the red neck in the pick up can go on and try to run over more guys on bikes. Cops won't touch it because all parties are wrong. Oh and if the guy in the pick up didn't consent to the audio recording the guy doing the recording can find some hot (invasion of privacy) water rising up to very uncomfortable levels.

Wow, what a video. If I had seen this happen in front of me here is what I would have done.

1. Arrest all 3 for Reckless Driving. "Reckless" is defined as "the willful and wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property". Since all 3 demonstrated extreme disregard for the safety of others I would have arrested them for "reckless". "Reckless" is a class A Misdemeanor punishable by up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine not to exceed $2500.00.

2. Arrested the pick-up driver for an additional charge of Aggravated Assault. If you watch the end of the video you see the pick-up driver carrying what looks like a pipe or club walking aggressively toward one the riders. Aggravated Assault is defined as an act that makes another person have a reasonable apprehension of receiving a battery and is a class A Misdemeanor which carries a penalty of up to 1 year in jail and/or a fine of up to $2500.

3. Towed the 2 bikes and the pick-up. This would add another $150.00 or so onto each of their bills.

4. Confiscate (not returnable) the video camera as evidence because it was used by one the perpetrators in the comission of a crime.

In my opinion, this incident goes way beyond the writing of a few traffic tickets. Whether this was staged or not, all 3 of these people deserve some jail time and some hefty fines and lawyers fees for what they did.

+1 ! :thumb

4. Confiscate (not returnable) the video camera as evidence because it was used by one the perpetrators in the comission of a crime.

why confiscate? should they also confiscate their helmets? watches? the bikes? I don't agree with government taking anyones property that was not gotten by illegal means. (I can understand taking a drug dealer speed boat that was purchased with drug money).

why confiscate? should they also confiscate their helmets? watches? the bikes? I don't agree with government taking anyones property that was not gotten by illegal means. (I can understand taking a drug dealer speed boat that was purchased with drug money).

I think he means they used it to record their exploits like those morons who record themselves ripping off houses.

To brag and to post it on YouTube...

If you are caught poaching fish you lose your gear. Boat, Hook Line and Sinker too! :laugh

I saw some stupid acts, but only one that was malicious and tried to intentionally cause a serious accident. Just saying...........................

Easy Rider

Some motorcyclists need to go see Easy Rider. You don't mess with pickup trucks; too many are occupied by violent maniacs.

I think he means they used it to record their exploits like those morons who record themselves ripping off houses.

To brag and to post it on YouTube...

If you are caught poaching fish you lose your gear. Boat, Hook Line and Sinker too! :laugh

but a video is not a necessary part of the illegal activity with a camera. Again, one could use that reasoning to take a persons watch (what time they were riding), the cell phone (that they used to call each other before the ride and to call the police), all their gear, etc. And the same could be used on you if you ever get pulled over for speeding or running a stop sign or illegal lane change, etc.. That is way to much power for government.

If they can document that the guys on the bike were speeding and breaking laws (seems fairly obvious to me) on the bikes they should pay the price but they should pay the appropriate price. Taking personal property would be unreasonable in this instance.

Last edited:
If they can document that the guys on the bike were speeding and breaking laws (seems fairly obvious to me) on the bikes they should pay the price but the shouldn't pay the appropriate price. Taking personal property would be unreasonable in this instance.

"they should pay the price but the shouldn't pay the appropriate price."
What's that mean?

:dunno

Anyway, beats me I'm not a lawyer. Are you?

"they should pay the price but the shouldn't pay the appropriate price."
What's that mean?

:dunno

Anyway, beats me I'm not a lawyer. Are you?

Typo . They should

Not a lawyer. Thinking that is a problem with our society; having to be a lawyer when common sense should do.

Last edited:
Ok Damon, again if I had witnessed this from my patrol car and was arresting all 3subjects I would be well within my right to confiscate any property that was "used in or resulting from the commission of a crime". Being that the video camera was "used in" the documenting/recording of this crime I would be able to confiscate it.

Now, if after the trial the judge wanted to return it (I expect he would), that would be fine with me but it would not be returnable until after the trial. Maybe I should have made that more clear.

Thanks

That makes more sense. Although I would think all you would need is the memory card.

However, Comma...

As a former sport rider and now GS rider...

I have to say I have seen some rather "fast" GoPro vids here and on other motorcycle websites. In order to not get into a humongous debate on the virtues and vices of the 55mph speed limit, lets just say that pretty much everyone ignores it every now and then. If you went 55 on the freeway in Louisville, you'd be a road pizza. When I was down in Tellico, a couple GS riders passed me on the Cherohala and I was at 65 or so, sightseeing...

How many of you have rolled 80+ on the interstate, or exceeded 55mph on a nice backroad? I bet nearly all :blush Heck, a nice roll out of a corner would net you a ticket if smokey had a radar gun and was in the right place and in a bad mood.

I think "where" and "when" are more important than the act of speeding itself. The road in the video looks like its well-populated, and that means kids, vehicles pulling out of driveways, etc. For that they get the total dumba** award.

Motorcycles, even older ones, have a higher power-weight ratio than cars do, thus are faster. Motorcycling is a sport which means many want to see just how well they can ride. Pick a nice spot for it :) realize that at a certain speed you won't be able to stop, and have fun. Also, not everyone can afford a track day every weekend. I ride fairly snappily on backroads, but do not max speed on the straights and have been happily ticket-free since 1990. I also slow down when going through towns and populated areas. Changes you from an annoyance/danger to an ambassador. I bet the headers honk off the folks on that road as much as the speed does.

Also, speeding and a double yellow pass = ticket, not the death penalty (if the video is real) and I have my doubts, too. And the road didn't look that awesome, either...

Making a pass on a double yellow is the riders choice. Trying to kill someone is attempted murder.
BIG difference.

Back