Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Camelbak - Yes!

you can find camelback designed for the construction industry that are made in neon colors if you want to add water and visibility at the same time.

http://www.boss-safety.com/Hydration...on-Systems.asp

Between rides if not to many days - store the bladder in a freezer - stops those ugly microbial things from developing without the annoying 3 days to dry the thing entirely. Time to go, pull the bladder out, fill with ice, then water....and we're off.

The freezer trick will work and here's another known to scuba divers who want to keep mold out of their bc's. Simply put about a tablespoon of something alcoholic into the empty container and shake around, drain. You'll want to rinse it out as part of a refill. Some use alcoholic mouthwash but you use almost anything not toxic.

Get it dry for long term storage though and leave it a bit open.

BTW, following Ted's review I bought an identical 70 oz camelback using my REI dividends and tested it on a hot ride last weekend. I think it is a better idea than the hydrapack inside a fleece bag inside my BMW tank bag. I agree with Ted's comments.

Many of the drink mixes I'm seeing sold are inane from a physiology viewpoint and will also encourage mold growth in the bladder from any residue. Many seem to have sugars (not necessary and contribute to "cottonmouth"), caffeine (a diuretic),
    worthless concoctions of herbs, excessive salts, etc. What is needed is water and, over the course of a long day, a few salts but nothing even close to what is in commercial junk like Gatorade (which will add to your thirst if you don't cut it at least 50-50 with water).

NE Arkansas - Between Goobertown and Buck Snort
    Quote Originally Posted by wuli959 View Post
    you can find camelback designed for the construction industry that are made in neon colors if you want to add water and visibility at the same time.

http://www.boss-safety.com/Hydration...on-Systems.asp
    Thanks for the tip. I bought one from Amazon.com, using my free shipping Prime account, which ended up being cheaper than the boss-safety.com price+shipping.
    It's a great match for my Hi-Viz lime green jacket and I love the added retroflective tape.
    John M. Flora
    '03 K1200GT, '94 K75S
    MOA # 23538, RA # 16295, AMA Life Member
    Secret Squadron # SQ24418