• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What modifications have you done?

Quigley

I assume that most of you guys/gals that purchase a new BMW motorcycle are so happy with it that you never have to make any modifications to it at all. You just hop on and ride off into the sunset like happy campers. I mean what could you modify on such an excellent brand of motorcycle? Well, I guess some of you could splash on some chrome if you have one of those R1200 jobs. But what else could you possibly spend money on?

When I first bought my R1150GS I didnÔÇÖt think I would need to buy anything else except a little premium unleaded gas and items for maintenance. This was my first BMW and also my first bike IÔÇÖve had in quite awhile (thatÔÇÖs my excuse, and IÔÇÖm sticking to it).

So as I was driving my new bike home from the dealer, I immediately noticed that 1st gear was a bit too tall. Then after a few highway miles, I noticed my head was constantly bobbing around. My butt didnÔÇÖt start getting sore till I was almost home. As I was crawling off my new pride and joy, I also noticed that there was a distinct pain in my shoulders and a very tense place in the lower part of my neck. But I was a very happy camper. Then I went across the street to show off my new bike to my Harley friends and they said the bike was too quiet! Duh! Well, thatÔÇÖs coming from Harley people.

Well, a few thousand dollars later, I now have a new lower final drive, a pope-mo-bile windscreen, heated corbin seats, ricky pro-taper handle bars, pia driving lights, two brothers exhaust system and probably a couple things I canÔÇÖt even remember. But, IÔÇÖm a very happy camper with my bike. Well, o.k., I might get a set of ohlin shocks next year.

So finally, my question. What different modifications have you guys/gals done to your bikes? And IÔÇÖm interested in all models here, not just a GS. I might buy a different model sometime in the very far future and I just want to see what I might be looking forward to. If you got a GS, then maybe thereÔÇÖs something IÔÇÖve forgot!
:idea

I'm the third owner of mine. It came with:
Ohlins shock
Corbin Seat
Tall parabellum

I've added:
Running lights F/R
Enhanced brake light (Kisan flashing light)
Front fender extender
Progressive front springs
Replaced tall parabellum for short
Replaced handlebars to late K100 style with weights and heat
Sta-in-tune muffler (used)

Wow, I have definitely spent too much money on this thing.

'99 R11S:

Ohlins Front & Rear
Sport Rear Wheel
Carbon Fiber Lower
Tinted Sport shield
BMW tank bag
System Cases
Corbin seat
Comfort bars
Suburban Machinery footpeg lowering kit
Added a centerstand
Clear rear turn signals

Before the tinted shield
124327-M.jpg

custoMYze

88 k75s:brow

hmm...

Fender Extension
Moto Lights
Gators
Progressive fork springs
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
4-Way Flashers
Speed Bleeders
Parabellum (spring & fall)
Bar-ends
k1200RS Mirrors
K&N Filter Charger
Auto-com
Corbin Rubmbel Seat
Fox Twin Clicker Shock
Runnin' lites
Hyper-Lites
Fresh Paint
Timing Advance
BMW Luggage
Marsee Mr. High Pockets
Shamu MagBag

"fits like a glove":clap

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 5,656
Mods

I have an '03 1150GS. To date I have the system bags, tank bag, cylinder protection tubes, PIAA 520's (due to the totally inadequate stock lights), 100 watt high bulb to replace factory 55W. Corbin heated seats with rear back rest.

I am next going to add an aftermarket windscreen.

Oh, and I also had the local Sign Pro add "Ole Yeller" to the tank, and I go in tomorrow to add "Block Heads Rule!" to each system bag.

I know the lettering may not be traditional BMW, but it's my bike and I'll red neck it out if I want too. And that's exactly what I told my wife.

'76 R90S Modifications

Here's a link to my photo album on Ofoto, showing the
'76 R90S I have been building:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=30502374103.67887770903&n=1562122508

You'll need to register, but it's free.

This bike is a kind of "test mule", for practice in
the riding position anticipated on the Special that
Dick Casey is building from an '81 R80 G/S.

I did about everything I could to this bike without
changing the basic arrangement of frame, forks, and
motor. It's not a restoration; in fact it's guaranteed
to upset the purists.

First is the /7 frame. It's stiffer, and I like that.
It carries aluminum side braces, a rear frame cross
brace, big tube swingarm, Raask rearset controls
installed in the passenger peg holes, 10mm subframe
mounting screws, and Works aluminum shocks. The front
end features Craig Vechorik's stainless fork brace,
Braking floating discs, Progressive springs, 10 weight
Spectro fork oil, deep aluminum top clamp, and braided
stainless hydraulic lines.
The cockpit is much changed: I took off the R90S
fairing and handlebars. New bars are Pro-Tek clip-ons,
which are pretty comfortable. I made a new instrument
mounting bracket to tuck the cluster in tight to the
top clamp, and made some headlight mounting plates to
lower the headlight. There is a vintage flyscreen
above the headlight and Hella bar-end signals in the
bars. Bumm mirrors do the rear-view duty, mounted in
the stock position.
When I bought the bike I took it to Hansen's BMW in
Medford. They rebuilt the motor (at 105,000 miles)
with these changes: 336 cam; offset cam key; flowed &
ported, big valve heads w/ ti valve retainers; Dyna
dual-plug ignition; Malossi intake velocity stacks;
and Hoske mufflers with the baffle knocked out.
Crankcase breathing is handled by a K&N breather. I
put in a oil cooler, meaning that I had to change out
the filter housing, with Oak's help, in order to fit
the thermostat.
Power delivery goes through a lightened flywheel,
stock clutch with a spacer behind the spring, and a
new transmission from the BMW catalog. This bike
shifts VERY well even with the extra-long linkage.
The wheels are pretty special: Buchanan's made them
for me with deep-section rims. The front is a 18"-2.15
with a Dunlop GT-501F. The rear is an 18"-3.0 rim,
laced offset so I can fit a 130-80 Dunlop GT501.
I cut down the front fender somewhat. The seat is an
aftermarket item that I worked over. The saddle was
upholstered by NBI, who did a great job. I made the
LED tail light to fit a lens I bought on ebay. Paint
is '78 R100RS gold in honor of my brother Nels'
fantastic crowd-pleasing bike.
Jettisoned the centerstand, side covers, steering
damper, rear turn signals, clock, and ammeter.

Ooooohhh, it runs nice. And sounds fabulous! There's
no lack of bottom end, and above 5K rpm it takes off,
fast enough to ALMOST keep up with my brother's Suzuki
Bandit 1200S.

At least he doesn't disappear on the horizon.

That's the story. Hope you enjoy the photos.

Later,

Jon-Lars Sorenson

Attachments

• goldbikesmallfile.jpg
    goldbikesmallfile.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 5,633
mods

I've put 17K on the bike (1150gs) in one year, including one trip across the continent.

Only mods: light upgrades (not optional on a gs, you gotta do it),
throttle lock, sheepskin seat rag.

That's it. Works for me.

Next bike, next year: K1200GT

I just bought my '96 R850R in April (4.5k on it already with the wet spring we have had) it came with motolights and bmw windshield, and givi bags. I have added nelson rigg's cruiser tankbag, and new headlight, bright blue/bright white. I also purchased a chatterbox intercom and an mp3 player for tunes, which I decided I didnt need on the bike. I would like to try the national cycle touring windshield, and some sheepskin seat covers. :thumb

OK...here goes:

Started with a 93 K1100RS

1.Works nitro shock
2.Remus stainless/Aluminum exhaust
3.Corbin Gunfighter Seat
4.92 Lowers
5.91 Chin Fairing
6.All polished stainless hardware
7.RC51 Honda mirrors in place of the stockers which are useless...had the unused holes plugged prior to new paint to match
8. Headlight modulator
9. Tail light modulator
10. Crankcase and Valve covers powder coated in silver
11. Gel battery
12. Heli-Bars....gotta love these !
13. Other stuff I have probably forgotten

Well I started with a new ÔÇÖ04 R1150GS Adventure (Silver) in December. Before I left Ride West I had added:
ÔÇó Touratech 41 Liter Panniers
ÔÇó Touratech Keyed Locks
ÔÇó Touratech Exhaust Extension
ÔÇó Touratech Small Flexible Tail Lights
ÔÇó Touratech Steel Grill Headlight Cover
ÔÇó Touratech Oil Cooler Protector
ÔÇó Caliper Mounted Motolights

Added in the following months:
ÔÇó Touratech Sump-Guard Extension (mounted on center stand)
ÔÇó Touratech Steering Stop Protector
ÔÇó MotoComm FSR/Music Communications System
ÔÇó Sheep Skin Butt Pad (Silver/Grey)

Still to come:
ÔÇó RichÔÇÖs Custom Seat
ÔÇó Throttlemeister
ÔÇó Taller Wind Screen (Type TBD)
ÔÇó Touratech 33 Liter Top-Case
ÔÇó Ohlins Front & Rear

I guess that is about it.

'04 GS

Hyperlites
Sargent Seat
barbacks
Aeroflow windscreen
throttlemeister
Jesse side bags & top box

Not much really, but all very functional stuff.

Well, at my church

we believe modifications are of the devil. Fer instance you got all them men becoming women and what not - that my friends is where the slippery slope of modifications can take you.
One minute you are installing an Uncle Remus exhaust extender valve cover nodule and the next you are signing up for a gender change or something.
Stock rocks.
When I find myself asking WWJDrive, I know in my heart of hearts (by the burning in my bosom) that He would modify not.

Re: Well, at my church

Cliffy777 said:
we believe modifications are of the devil.

This coming from the man who is planning on putting a Screaming Eagle kit on his father's scooter. Loosen the helmet there Cliff and try using ear plugs, it might stop some of the voices in yer head:p

I have an '02 R1100S I bought used..it's my first BMW.

I have done the following meager things....

1. Replaced the stock "seat" with a Corbin. A most wise decision and a thrifty one, too since I got it on EBAY. My butt is still thanking me.

2. Put an accessory extension cord leading out from the battery so I can hook up a maint. charger without spending an hour taking off the fairings for access!

3. Ripped out the stock headlight bulbs and replaced them with Sylvania's Silverstar HP bulbs.

4. Put in a K&N air filter (that will out live me probably).

5. Clear turn signal lenses replaced stock amber ones. I'm still on the fence with whether or not to keep foolin' with the tail light LED/ clear lens ass'y (see my post in the Oilhead section) or keep the orig bulb/red lens one in place.

I first started using Silverstars in a Chev p/u I had..sold it and bought a Mits Diamante....I'm such a freak that I took the bulbs OUT of the truck before selling it so I could put them in the Diamante!!!! I would not go go back to any other bulb. I've tried alot of bulbs in the last 3 years...trying to get that HID look w/o dropping huge bucks. Silverstars not only LOOK good, they actually do throw more light down than their predecesor, Sylvania's Cool Blue. 2 days after I got my S I was online ordering high and low beams for it. For us poor folk who spent all our money just buying our bikes and now we have nothing left for HID upgrades, the Silverstar is the closet thing you can get to the real deal!:lol

Back