• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

routing from Oregon to Rally

lkniess

This is the second time I post this in case newbies read it. I now plan on heading for the rally on June 26 from Oregon. I hope to hit some national parks on my way (yellowstone, grad Teton, Mt Rushmore). With the bad weather the central US has been experiencing, I will avoid that are for now. Routes mentioned are US-12 and US-2. I am seriously looking for good options that offer things to see while avoiding the interstates. I have no problem using the interstates occasionally. I hope to camp most the way. I plan on traveling all the way to the east coast and then returning to the rally. My route back to Oregon will need to be more direct to to time restraints.

Any and all comments and recommendations are very welcome.

still waiting

Come on guys! There must be some BMOA members out there that would have some suggestion! I have planned it so far from Bend Oregon up and tying into 12 from Montana to ND (99 miles of twisties) and then up to 2 near Glacier.

Last edited:
Return trip one week time frame.

I'm deciding if I'm going or not, picking up a bike in NY. The ride back to Oregon is where I am struggling with slab/backroad and one week time frame. What is you plan for the return trip?

re trip back

I plan on at least three weeks to get to the Atlantic ocean but after the rally, I must be in Oregon by 8/6/11. I suppose my trip home will be pretty direct but hope to go thru Colorado and then up past Rushmore but my return isn't decided yet.

This is the second time I post this in case newbies read it. I now plan on heading for the rally on June 26 from Oregon. I hope to hit some national parks on my way (yellowstone, grad Teton, Mt Rushmore). With the bad weather the central US has been experiencing, I will avoid that are for now. Routes mentioned are US-12 and US-2. I am seriously looking for good options that offer things to see while avoiding the interstates. I have no problem using the interstates occasionally. I hope to camp most the way. I plan on traveling all the way to the east coast and then returning to the rally. My route back to Oregon will need to be more direct to to time restraints.

Any and all comments and recommendations are very welcome.

i could give you a route that would roll your socks up and down, but you're on an LT and probably wouldn't appreciate an adventure tour. :ha

Here is a quick rough out that's a start... this should make you :D

i strongly recommend you ride across the UP, through the Soo and take the ferry from Manitouin Island to the Tobermory Peninsula. If you want to go bigger, ride the north shore of Lake Superior. (you could modify this by heading to Nova Scotia.)

Let us know what you think.

Ian

ps => if you plan a ride through Yellowstone, get there very early. the traffic jams there in the summer purely suck.

Nice route

I like your route from Yellow Stone west, I may incorporate that into my plans making a seat of my pants decision. Translation: How comfortable my seat is after 4-5 days.
I will be riding a new to me bike, considering a gel pad from a rally vendor as my last long cross country trip was 15 years ago.

41077 -

one question I have for you is whether you've ever ridden the Beartooth Pass, which is out the northeast gate of Yellowstone.

if not, then consider this (as my route misses it and goes to Cody instead via the Chief Joseph scenic byway.)

Beartooth is one of them bucket list rides, however it takes you somewhat out of the way.

if you're interested in that, i can modify your route some, and wind up taking US14A over the Bighorns.

ian

I have not ridden that pass, thanks for the suggestion. I will check that out when I get a break from doing what they pay me to do. I love Google Earth and Mapquest for trip planning.

Come on guys! There must be some BMOA members out there that would have some suggestion! I have planned it so far from Bend Oregon up and tying into 12 from Montana to ND (99 miles of twisties) and then up to 2 near Glacier.

The way it sounds you have time to spend, if i were you i would go though yellow stone then head out of there to cody down 16 fallow that all the way to Custer SD, east of there is 87/16a North fallow 16A to Mt rushmore. after that two way to go from there though the badlands or super slab it from on 90. SD and IA are flat watch for critter's they are all over the place. i live in IL i wish i could take a ride from there with ya, good luck might see you at the rally

Oregon riders?

Put the money down, flying to NY picking up the bike. Think I will slab it to Chicago visit relatives then pop in on the old summer homestead in northern MN (Otter Tail Lake).
Following Visian's route backwards with some modifications. There have to be other riders returning to Oregon after the rally, what are your plans?

Don't miss BearTooth Pass;

Even if it seems a tad out of line for your plan, go there anyways. A GREAT ride, not ever forgotten:). The ride to Cody is exceptional too, but Beartooth is the premier riding event in that area, period! It takes you towards Billings, but I90 back to the SE gets you in line again quickly and Little Big Horn National Monument is another item nobody should miss. Its along I90 before hitting Wyoming again, very nice worthy side trip. I'll never forget that Pass and this Monument, ever!. Randy:usa

I'll never forget that Pass ...

hahaha... neither will I because the last time i rode it i had to wait 3 hours at the top while they cleared the snow off the road.

in *July* :nod

but, it is definitely one you want to ride especially if you've not done so before.

re route

At this time my route has me coming down from Missoula and into Teton and Yellowstone from the south west. Then up thru the parks, back thru Missoula and up thru Glacier and head out across the country on US2. I would like to travel thru Glacier but my question to your travelers is should I give up the out of the way to Glacier in favor of Beartooth?
Thanks
larry

re trip

Thanks for all the responses. I was still planning a route thru Glacier Nat Park but it looks as though the Road to the Sun will not be open for several weeks. Bummer. SOOO it looks as though it is back to the drawing board and on the Beartooth Pass or Chief Joseph Parkway. Beartooth has opened but the road may be pretty "rough". My biking experience is somewhat limited and I sure do not like gravel or cinders! Anyone know the conditions of these roads this year?

VISIAN, doe the route you mentioned travel on Gravel roads?

Thanks again
Larry

My biking experience is somewhat limited and I sure do not like gravel or cinders! Anyone know the conditions of these roads this year?

VISIAN, doe the route you mentioned travel on Gravel roads?

not to my knowledge, the roads are all state and US highways.

however, roads get gnarly out west, especially after thaw. so watch for potholes, cracks, erosion and gravel.

these roads are most definitely *not* the Interstate.

ian

re my routes

I have planed my route in four parts and saved them to my maps on google.

How do I send a link to them for review. I have made many changes.

Total miles is 4550.

Is there an easy way to convert this map to a GPS file so I can load it into my Zumo without remaking it in the mapping software?

Larry

Back