• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Typical Central Pennsylvania Weather

Unfortunately weather on the East Coast during summer just plain sucks. Specially if you ride ATGATT. That's one of the reasons I ride more during Spring and Fall. I'm looking forward for the rally but I know the weather more than likely will be miserable.
Don't expect anything like Oregon last year and get ready for thunderstorms.

And RB, I have to laugh, Being from NY I come to PA for the smooth roads, I90 in NY is rougher than your back 2 lanes.

I-86 in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus counties (in New York) is many times rougher than anything on I-90. There are two reasons for that: to get truckers to pay the tolls on I-90, and squabbles with the Indians over tax collections.

Harry

..........but please note some times the detours are better than the storied roads; it was true about wonderful 895s bridge repair last summer just off the town of Picture Rocks on SR 220. ..........................

The 864 W of Picture Rocks was also closed last year, and I made my own detour in the roads up near Montoursville, There are some GREAT little roads in that area, no traffic, nice pavement, and some nice dipping and diving twisty stuff. It will now be my new way E from the area.

Unfortunately weather on the East Coast during summer just plain sucks. Specially if you ride ATGATT. That's one of the reasons I ride more during Spring and Fall. I'm looking forward for the rally but I know the weather more than likely will be miserable.
Don't expect anything like Oregon last year and get ready for thunderstorms.

I wouldn't say it sucks, Like forest Gump said...........you never know what you are going to get. Lots of great 75-85 clear days, some 85+ Hazy Humid days, occasional 60's can be clear or rain.

Average high end of July is 83, lows 62

I wouldn't say it sucks, Like forest Gump said...........you never know what you are going to get. Lots of great 75-85 clear days, some 85+ Hazy Humid days, occasional 60's can be clear or rain.

Last July we had 20 days without rain and every 3 days a weak front passed through clearing the air and haze. The Bloomsburg area does not have the humidity as Baltimore / Washington metro, Philadelphia nor New York City.

I usually ride with vented gear and if its seems too hot its all mountain roads that offer a canopy of green for me. You can always put an ice pack in pocket(s) or use a cooling vest or neck wrap......... I always forget I own them.

Regardless if it is hazy, hot and humid and they are not calling for rain you could still have a small pop up thunderstorm forming north of the rally site in Sullivan and Wyoming County. Its wise to carry rain gear or wait it out or see where they are and take roads leading away since you have choices.

And don't forget, our bodies will have had the chance to acclimate to the warmer weather by then. 90 degrees today feels much worse than 90 degrees at the end of July for some reason.

I would say compared to last years location and to West Coast, it sucks. Anybody who spent anytime on the West Coast knows what I'm talking about. We had 90+ in the last 3 days in NC and all next week will be over 90 with very high dew points and we are not even in June yet.
Today riding on the highway 85 I saw 103 on my temperature gauge!!!!!

Like many here on the East Coast I could not afford the time it would take to go to a rally on the West Coast - jobs and other such commitments make it simply impossible. The weather will undoubtedly be warmer than it would be in Oregon - with that said I have been riding in the mid-Atlantic for two decades now and sometimes July is downright pleasant, other times it is muggy, hot and humid. Rarely however is it so miserable that one can not ride comfortably (1999 comes to mind.) Personally I found the Johnson City rally two years ago downright comfortable, and that is almost 500 miles south/south west of Bloomsburg.

No sense getting upset over what the weather may be two months from now, there will be plenty of time for that a week or two before the event :)

cooling down

The low temp for tomorrow morning in Bloomsburg is expected be 43 degrees! Now thats the Pennsylvania summer weather we like!:clap

Like many here on the East Coast I could not afford the time it would take to go to a rally on the West Coast - jobs and other such commitments make it simply impossible. The weather will undoubtedly be warmer than it would be in Oregon - with that said I have been riding in the mid-Atlantic for two decades now and sometimes July is downright pleasant, other times it is muggy, hot and humid. Rarely however is it so miserable that one can not ride comfortably (1999 comes to mind.) Personally I found the Johnson City rally two years ago downright comfortable, and that is almost 500 miles south/south west of Bloomsburg.

No sense getting upset over what the weather may be two months from now, there will be plenty of time for that a week or two before the event :)

You still think the same way?

Thanks. Could the road construction be as bad as what I am possibly being led to believe?

We came through countless work zones in I-81 yesterday on the way here. With the barriers and lowered speed limits, I did not see any workers or work done.

You still think the same way?

Of course - it is hot and muggy and there is plenty of time to get all bent out of shape about it now.

Personally I still think sweating at the rally site beats sitting comfortably in an office. And I should know, work unexpectedly felt a compelling need to keep me around this week so I will be lucky to get up there at all.

Back