• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GS Adventure off-road for the first time

TomDac

I did my first dual sport ride on Sunday with a group of 28 others.. most of which were first-timers also. I must say that with the pressure in the tires @ 25, I felt very comfortable in the dirt on the big pig and I did quite well. I think my mountain biking experience helped alot.

Lots of water crossings, a few hill climbs and some mud made for a very fun adventure! I think i'm hooked!

Here's link to some videos I took at one of the many water crossings.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=doc+wong's+adventure+clinic&aq=f

Thanks for posting, Tom!

I'm hoping to gain confidence by watching others. Some people make it look easy!

Welcome:)

Fun times huh!:) I've been at this all my life and BMWs offroad since 1982 R80GS. I'm glad to see my world growing with much enthusiasm and gusto. Any place you find me, I'm always willing to give help to my newfound, new offroaders and ride along too. Its a hoot out there in adventure land, yaahoo:). See ya'll in PA., with LOTS of GS planned there by IAN and others of the region, read up! Happy Trails, Randy:dance:usa

Indeed... the big GSADV will surprise off road, and it is more adept than many people think! The gearing, the balance, the low end torque, etc. all contribute to its capabilities. It was a workhorse for a motorcycling Colorado book and it never let me down.

I've taken mine off the asphalt several times.. Some times into places where I was a little over my head.. It can be pretty heavy to pick up, when you are alone.

I've found mine to be just fine for gravel roads, dirt roads, stream crossings, and some "less challenging" trails, but I keep it out of the mud.. :sick

One of the things I've noticed over the last few years with it.. When in doubt, give it some gas..

Great video

Having dirt biked and played enduro most of my yute - that vid is so fun.
I've had the GSA for 3 mos now, just a lil spin on a trail, and 6800 pavement. She's a sweet ride - but damn heavy. Your video makes me excited for the Rawhyde riding I'm sched for at Bloomsburg.
thanks again for the great video.

Dropping a GSA!

Just remember one thing when the time comes, you find yourself alongside your GSA, not by choice:). Most everyone riding a dirt bike has fallen off and the GSA is no exception. You do NOT need to be in a hurry to pick it up! Take first aide inventory "first", of yourself, TURN the ignition key/engine off very quick after the upset and sit back, laugh perhaps and proceed in a nice methodical way to get r back on her feet(the bike). Most, me included have usually jumped UP, got very excited by the fall and right off, try to get the bike up immediately. This is not a great idea in many cases, as you need to give yourself some kind a break, however short it may be. The bike will be fine:). Now, exceptions do exist here, so if you go down in a river crossing, engine somewhat compromised, I'd try hard to get r out sooner than later! Just know you don't have to be in a hurry here, in many cases in "off" the bike scenarios. Happy Trails, Randy PS TIP; down bike means oil has moved about in the engine, SO do not start it immediately after the upright! Let the oil settle back into its proper place a minute:). R:thumb

Back