• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with Pricing of FarkleBar

douglas911

Douglas911
I needed to have multiple electronics in front of me and my tank bag was full of wires. I needed something better so I built a mount. I am happy with how it is coming out, and I think that others would probably want the same thing. I am using Ram Mounts to mount 5 devices and provide 5 power outlets and cord storage. I have some pictures of what I'm working on at http://www.farklebar.com What do you think I ought to charge for this? Anything you think I should change?

Thanks for the help,

Douglas Shonley
Sturgis, SD

Actually it does cover many of the instruments. The main one I am interested in is the speedometer. However since I often run with two GPSs and the speed is displayed on there I don't use the speedometer. Also the arms come in various lengths and can be moved to any position so I usually leave a area where I can see the neutral light. The rest are secondary instruments. The idea is to have as much information in front of me, with minimal time of looking away from the road. So far I have really liked it.

Douglas

Since you want to offer this "farkle bar" for sale, I presume you want honest feedback. Based on what you have shown in those pictures, there is no chance I would use something like that on any bike of mine, nor would I recommend it.

Where your statement that you run two GPSs so you don't need to see the speedo are accurate, the problem comes in when you are riding without them. From the photos, the instruments are still blocked.

Regardless of the speedo, there is no way to see any of the warning information the bike provides, no way to peep the gear selection display, no way to see the fuel level and no way to see the oil temp display - all of which are even more important for a bike that's obviously intended as a rally bike with all the added gear. Further, it appears you're making it even more difficult to even reach the key.

I have ridden a few miles with more gear on my bike than you are trying to accommodate and depending on the model bike, it's really not hard to mount everything you intend to mount without blocking those all important factory instruments.

I admire your ingenuity and motivation to help the LD community - those that you're mainly targeting are those running highly farkled bikes - but I'd suggest you head back to the drawing board if you want to market a product to handle something like this.

Steve,

Thank you for the feedback and you make some good points. Yes, this is not for everybody. Because I have so many bikes the ability to move all the gadgets to another bike is really helpful. Also I can easily take the whole thing in at night when I check into a motel. I found I was spending way too much time getting everything mounted and plugged back in when I came out of the motel in the morning. The rats nest of wires I have had under my fairing has now been eliminated. But as with most things on a motorcycle there is a compromise. Each person makes their individual choice on what is important. I guess that is why we ride.

Thanks again,

Douglas

Back