• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

National Rally Packing List?

ChrisF

Long Gone
I've got the motorcycle camping checklist ( http://www.micapeak.com/checklists/ ) that I've found helpful as I get back into motorcycle touring.

Now I'm wondering - are there items to add to the list that would be specific to the National Rally? In other words, what would you pack for Lima that you wouldn't normally take to a local rally? Here are my additions so far:
1. More money ;)
2. Even more money :D
3. Camcorder

Speaking of money, is there a preferred type for on-site purchases? I figure cash would be good anywhere, but what about personal checks vs. traveller's checks vs. plastic?

sun shade

Being that we'll be camping several nights in one location and that we'll most likely have a small gang from our club I usually pack a Kelty Sunshade Large Canopy!

It's really nice to sit under for shade and really makes a difference if it rains.

Kelty makes the Sunshade in several sizes and you can usually get the best deal on them at www.campmor.com

gsjay

Hey now,

Most if not all the vendors take plastic.

I second Jay's comments on the sunshade, last year I bought a MSR fly and had it shipped to the rally site. It was fantastic.

Speaking of shipping there is no reason why you couldn't pack up any extra items into a hard cooler and ship that to the site if you wanted. This is more for a small group who plans on hooking up at the rally.

I would also suggest you check out our camping pages. Last year when we did a site update I had to proof them. I had a ball and learned some stuff all over again. The gear pages which is where I learned about the MSR Parawing. In Spokane I put this up over the table instead of the tent.

I also got all warmed up about doing more for dinner than a meal in a bag after reading the page on gourmet cooking I found a pyromid stove on E-Bay and used it just about every day for the two weeks we were on the road including blueberry pancakes, eggs or french toast for breakfast every day at the national.

Other things you may want to bring would be a couple of nagaline bottles with your favorite spirit, a pair of cheap flip flops (good for the showers) and some glow sticks for your tent, this makes finding your way home with the empty nagaline bottle easier. :)

I also like to pack a couple of shirts a step up from the standard T. I find that places like the beer garden can be hot so I like a lightweight short sleeve button down from Quicksilver or similar. This year a good pair of dancing shoes will also be in order.

See you in Lima! It really is going to be a great rally especially if good fun is what you seek.

Best,

Okay this one is a little in the weeds, but ear plugs for sleeping. Remember you are going to be sleeping with a few thoughsand of your new best friends. Murphy says that the person next to you will be snoring and will keep you up.

Oh yeah, the Pyromid is really cool after watching Rob cook up some great pancakes.

Not specific to the rally, but

About 4 years ago a friend told me about "travel John's". You can get them at Wally or K in the camping section! They are the greatest thing for tent camping especially if it's cold or raining. No more Gator Aid bottles for me :brow

Thanks for the replies! Ear plugs have been added to the list.

Rather than the glow sticks, I plan on using an LED headlamp using two white lights or one red (for preserving night vision, supposedly) light.

*SHAG*, glad to hear about the "travel John's." To me, Gatorade always reminded me of recycled beer. :eek ;)

Ride for hours without stopping...

This may help you get there a little quicker and you won't need the Gatorade bottle: http://www.stadiumpal.com/stadiumpal_what.htm

I've never used one, but I came up with the idea at a String Cheese concert at the Greek Theatre a few years ago. :doh Don't you hate it when someone else actually goes through with your idea?

Chris F said:
Thanks for the replies! Ear plugs have been added to the list.

Rather than the glow sticks, I plan on using an LED headlamp using two white lights or one red (for preserving night vision, supposedly) light.

*SHAG*, glad to hear about the "travel John's." To me, Gatorade always reminded me of recycled beer. :eek ;)

Chris,

The glow sticks are for the tent to mark it. ;)

BradfordBenn said:
Okay this one is a little in the weeds, but ear plugs for sleeping. Remember you are going to be sleeping with a few thoughsand of your new best friends. Murphy says that the person next to you will be snoring and will keep you up.

Oh... and don't forget about all the loud farts in the morning. Those are particularly special! :D

:fart

Ian

ear plugs

Ear plugs are also nice to help drown out the K-bike that some A-hole 2 rows over decided needed warmed up at 7:00 A.M. :dunno

gsjay

Back