• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Good books for riding?

DAVEJENKINS2

OK. I didn't know where to put this but what suggestions would you have for instructional books for riding? Tips, techniques, and more?

FYI: I am not looking to book learn how to ride. I did the MSF basic course in Oct and the Skills course today (FUN!) What I am looking for is to keep my brain engaged and to look for tips on riding ....

Hope that helps...

Thanks!

I find magazines about track techniques very helpful. If you want to have fun and learn riding techniques that develop your skills try a track day. Track days have different class levels so you can ride within your limits. It will hone your skills on riding that MSF courses never will. You will learn skills at a faster level and those are the same skills you need in quick avoidance maneuvers. Don't think of it as racing unless you bring a track bike and move up into that class. Otherwise, it is just skill building.

Book suggestion

I really enjoyed, and learned from this book by David Hough:

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well

+2 on track days, reading if fine, but perfect practice makes perfect, and coaches can give you feedback that you can't give yourself.

After I finished I noticed your occupation. Think of it this way, gun safety class versus combat shooting course. Which one is more practical?

Good reading

I think almost everybody with a "library" of motorcycling books would place two books by David Hough, "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" at the very top of the list.

But there are many more good volumes. I would recommend Lawrence Grodsky's "Stayin' Safe -The Art and Science of Riding Really Well," Reg Pridmore's "Smooth Riding the Pridmore Way," Ken Condon's "Riding in the Zone," Lee Park's "Total Control" and Keith Code's " A Twist of the Wrist" series.

Should you purchase all these books, I think you will be surprised at how much these authors (and they really ARE all expert riders) disagree on such seemingly basic matters as cornering lines, number of fingers over the brake lever, use of either brake in a corner, the virtues of "hanging off," etc.

So, you go out and try out the various ideas that appeal to you, one or two at a time. When you discover the technic that is right for you and your bike, make it a habit. I like to think that EVERY ride is a practice of correct riding technic (for me) combined with total awareness. That awareness and practiced technic is what will hopefully save your hide when something bad happens.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dpog, it's too dark to read...

Groucho Mark

I read Proficient Motorcycling & enjoyed it. Have not read the second book. I went to Reg Pridmore's CLASS this month & it helped a bunch, bought his book & will start it soon. I love to read & then try to use the skills.

Back