• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ft Wayne to Beemerville

T

tom42n

When coming from Ft Wayne to Beemerville, via the 'little black lines' but not real little. Is it 'just OK' to take US30 to OH309 through, what appears to be downtown Lima or is it MUCH much better to take US30 to I75 then south to OH 309? i.e. is going through downtown LIMA a PITA?

TIA
--------------------------Tom42n-------------------

From Ft Wayne.

Road Leg Time Dist Dir Near Exit

Ft Wayne (SE corner)
US 30 (US 30 E|Lincoln Hwy|Lincoln Hwy E) 11 5:47 222 E
US 30 27 6:01 232 SE State Border
Ramp 0.2 6:35 259 E
SR 66 0.2 6:35 259 N
Ramp 0.1 6:35 259 SW
Stop - Ramp
SR 66 0.1 6:35 259 S
Ramp 0.3 6:35 259 E
US 30 3.7 6:36 260 SE
Ramp 0.4 6:39 263 SE
Stop - Ramp
Ramp 0.1 6:40 264 SE
SR 309 (Baugh Rd) 11 6:40 264 SE
W Grand Ave 0.5 6:58 274 SE
SR 309 (N Jameson Ave) 0.9 6:59 275 S
Stop - W Spring St
SR 309 (S Jameson Ave) 0.1 7:01 275 SW
SR 117 (SR 309|S Jameson Ave) 1.0 7:01 276 E
SR 117 E (SR 117|SR 309|W Elm St) 0.4 7:03 276 E
SR 65 (SR 117|SR 117 E|SR 309 E|SR 309|E Elm St) 0.3 7:04 277 E
SR 117 (SR 309|S Jameson Ave) 1.8 7:05 277 E
SR 309 (Harding Hwy) 1.5 7:09 279 E
Bowman Rd 0.6 7:11 280 SW
Finish - Finish1 7:13 281 Allen County Fairgrounds

Go Through Town

I always take 30 to 309 and go through town. Lima is actually very easy to get through.

Sue

I agree Tom, the last time I ate lima beans they passed very easily, almost too easily.

Dan

Did your driveway thaw out yet? :brow

Tom, I'd think twice about riding through Lima, Ohio this summer. Our friend Dan is a little out-of-line making light of what could be a very dangerous situation. Based on everything I've been hearing - and I've got reliable intelligence out in the field - Lima is going to be taken over by renegade bikers sometime in mid-summer. Steer clear! One of my operatives just faxed me the attached pic. Looks scary to me!
Steve-O
(psst...I think Sue might be one of them!)

Attachments

• wildonebig082703.jpg
    wildonebig082703.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 239
dzimbric said:
I agree Tom, the last time I ate lima beans they passed very easily, almost too easily.

Dan

Did your driveway thaw out yet? :brow
:clap Yep, little snow on it, but good to go. Been out riding a few times the past week or so. . . the riding season has started. . . . on the other hand it has never ended. . . just a few interruptions....
Tom42n :)

Sue Rihn-Manke said:
I always take 30 to 309 and go through town. Lima is actually very easy to get through.

Sue

thanks dowtown Lima it is.
Tom42n :wave

Last edited:
It Is Up To You

Tom, you can go either way to the rally. Lima is safe, I work there and travel through it each and every day.

Much of the talk is from those who hear but do not know!

I would suggest the I 75 method as it will be quicker.

Lima is a town that has economically suffered as many midwestern indusrtial based communities have. I am from Texas and my problem with Lima is not the town but the fact that it is snowing to night.

The neat part of it is that Sue, the rally chairmam, has found a real jewel of a location for the rally. You will be very impressed with the fairgrounds, the facilities and what she has put togeather.

If you have further questions call me at 419 420 7422

Fred :twirl

THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION

black lines to Beemerville

Thanks Fred, I am putting together a 'follow the little black lines' route from Morris IL (I80), to Beemerville, for publication or distribution to those interested. The purpose is 'to enjoy the ride' and bypass all that STUFF on I80 SW, S, SE of Chicago.

I have rode most of it my self, but have not been through Lima on 309, hence the question.

Since we are following the 'little black lines' I will use the OH 309 route through Lima as the primary route, with the I75 Route as an alternate.

see ya there hopefully.

Thanks for putting this route on "paper." When you get the route nailed down, please pass the map my way. I'll be blowing in from the Quad Cities area Thursday PM sometime. For me, the trip to the rally will be a dash after work, then I'll take a more enjoyable ride home Sunday.

How late is the beer garden open on

I am afraid that some one else will have to answer that question. All I can say is 'probably late enough'. As far as a 'dash from work', these roads although pretty good, IMO, do not lend them selves to 'mad dashes'. But they would be good for the enjoyable return.

I am working on it. Today I noticed that there is a 'road will be closed beginning April 4' sign on the piece of IN14 between IN39 and US421. It looked like they may be going to replace the small bridge. I will check it out to make sure it is not closed in July. Sometimes you can't tell how long these things will take.

more later TomEA
-----------

bluestune said:
Thanks for putting this route on "paper." When you get the route nailed down, please pass the map my way. I'll be blowing in from the Quad Cities area Thursday PM sometime. For me, the trip to the rally will be a dash after work, then I'll take a more enjoyable ride home Sunday.

How Late is the Beer Garden Open?

We are working on the Beer Garden license now. The PLAN is to be open until 1 AM.

If you roll in past 1 AM, I would suspect that you could find a friend somewhere, with a cold one in a cooler. :) :beer

I'm ridding to the rally from the Quad Cities in IL via I-80 hooking up with US 30 in Indiana. I hope to by-pass Chicago metro traffic Thursday evening. Does anyone know a friendly route from Morris, IL (or somewhere near there) to US 30.

Or, I could be convinced to drop down to US24 and ride across Indiana to the rally. Opinions and sugestions please. Thanks!

Rural route to Beemerville

bluestune said:
I'm ridding to the rally from the Quad Cities in IL via I-80 hooking up with US 30 in Indiana. I hope to by-pass Chicago metro traffic Thursday evening. Does anyone know a friendly route from Morris, IL (or somewhere near there) to US 30.

Or, I could be convinced to drop down to US24 and ride across Indiana to the rally. Opinions and sugestions please. Thanks!
:wave Howdy bluestune,
If you want to avoid Chicago traffic and you are coming from the Quad Cities area. Pick up south bound I-39 to US 24 at ElPaso IL. US 24 is just a two lane highway thru IL. and IN. until you get to Logansport IN. Then it is 4 lane to Ft Wayne. Good pavement, but straight and boring thru IL and most of IN. Lots of small farm towns so there are some stops along the way.
I live in Wabash IN and plan on taking IN 124 over to Lima. IN 124 turns into 81 in Ohio and straight into Lima. Once you get into IN. watch for deer if your traveling after dark.
Cheers! :drink

Bill

Thanks all for the road info! If I can get through south side Chicago before 3:00 in the afternoon I'll ride thataway, if it's closer to 5:00 or 6:00 I'll be riding US 24 'cross Indiana and into Lima.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned US-24 from Fort Wayne, IN to just west of Toledo, OH along the Maumee River.

The road is mostly two-lane, and if US-24 is busy you can hop over to the south side of the river.

US-24 rolls right over the top of the former Miami & Erie Canal, so if you know where to look there are remnants / relics of that era as well. Some roadside markers, some fragments of locks, a dam at Defiance and another at Grand Rapids (both OH), a grist mill / sawmill outside Grand Rapids OH, and a mule-drawn canal boat at the same place.

Road itself winds pleasantly along. Certainly not tight and twisty, mostly just pleasant and winding. Nothing too tight.

Thanks Doug,

US24 is sounding like a pleasant ride from the Quad Cities. If I can depart work early Thursday that's the route I'm taking.

Any recomendations for restaurants along 24?

Doug Grosjean said:
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned US-24 from Fort Wayne, IN to just west of Toledo, OH along the Maumee River.

The road is mostly two-lane, and if US-24 is busy you can hop over to the south side of the river.

US-24 rolls right over the top of the former Miami & Erie Canal, so if you know where to look there are remnants / relics of that era as well. Some roadside markers, some fragments of locks, a dam at Defiance and another at Grand Rapids (both OH), a grist mill / sawmill outside Grand Rapids OH, and a mule-drawn canal boat at the same place.

Road itself winds pleasantly along. Certainly not tight and twisty, mostly just pleasant and winding. Nothing too tight.

Like my dad (BE in IN) said, 24 is only two-lane until you hit Logansport now. From there on east to Ft. Wayne it's now all 4 lane. I concur with my father and I'd hop on 124 south of Wabash to avoid having to ride through downtown Ft. Wayne, to see some of the local color, and to avoid all the cops. Make sure that you're careful on 24 once it turns into 4-lane. The police love to pull people on that road, and it's really easy to crank it up with realizing it. Also, I usually see an Ohio cop everytime that I've picked up 30 right around the Ohio border. See you all there! :wave

recomendations for restaurants along 24

Fort Wayne has "Fort Wayne's Famous Coney Island," just known locally as "Coney Island." It has been in the same location, pretty much unchanged since it opened in 1915 (I think). They have without a doubt the best coney dogs on the planet. It is a little over a hundred miles from me and I often make it the destination for a lunch ride.

John

Back