• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

backpack ipad holder

T-foiler

ipad holder for pillon's use

While ridding back from a trip to Canada I had what I thought was a great idea for 2 up travel - a clear covered backpack for the driver to wear so the pillion could do mapping or heck read a book or maybe watch a movie. That would be so funny to drive by a bike while the pillion was watching a movie. A quick goggle search I find out that Roadgear already makes a map holder, so I sent them an email telling them of the idea and maybe they could also market the backpack as an ipad holder also. What do you think?

Last edited:
A driver with a backpack on, and a passenger would be tight if you wanted to view the iPad, I can't see how you would have enough room.

That would kinda be missing the entire point of motorcycling, I would think... we get out there without the confines of a cage around us to be 'one with nature', and now we want to introduce technology back into the mix? But...I'm certain that someone would buy those dern things like hotcakes if they were available...

Hmmmmm....in my book, being "one with nature" involves no vehicles.

Yep...agreed...that's why I bracketed the term!!! Point being tho that folks go out on motorcycles for a simpler way of transporation and enjoyment...and then they get all het up about being involved with electronics etc while they're doin' it! But you make a good point...

BTW, I saw what you are looking for in Fred Rau's Motorcycle Touring Bible. Page 115 I believe.

Velcro'd to the back of the driver's helmet. And if you have it slightly offset the passenger can use the camera to see around your head. :)

There are several couples who ride two-up in long distance rallies such as the Iron Butt Rally who use the rider's back as a platform for the passenger. Map cases, GPS units, and other things can be found mounted this way.

And yes, on some bikes the spacing can be close, but on LTs and Goldwings, space is not a problem.

If a passenger would enjoy navigation, or looking at the weather radar, or reading a trashy novel it sounds like a good idea to me. It is supposed to be fun. And I'll not try to dictate how a passenger should have fun based on my preconceived notions, except to not wiggle or jump around too much.

I think that the BMW Rallye 2 suit had a plastic map holder that would snap on the front or the back of the jacket.

Yep...agreed...that's why I bracketed the term!!! Point being tho that folks go out on motorcycles for a simpler way of transporation and enjoyment...and then they get all het up about being involved with electronics etc while they're doin' it! But you make a good point...

Using the bike to GET to nature is another scenario entirely. :D

Ahhhhh, we're here! :drink

But hey, I'm a technogeek and the gadgets come with me even if I hardly ever use them.

A more honest answer than my velcro comment is that if having my ipad along would make my wife happier as a passenger then I figure out a way to rig it up. But on my R1200GSA she is kind of close to me. Plus there is the glove issue. it doesn't seem to like gloves or at least not mine.

Plus there is the glove issue. it doesn't seem to like gloves or at least not mine.

They make gloves that will work, but probably not motorcycle gloves. There's a youtube video where conductive thread taken from an old pair of headphone wires is sewn into the the finger tips of the gloves to make it work.

I made my own - bought some very fine silver wire (sterling) and sewed it onto the tip of my ring finger left glove. I wanted to use my mp3 player but it didn't work with my gloves on. Now, not a problem! :dance

I think the iPad idea is hilarious! If you've got a passenger that would appreciate it, then why not?

Kind of funny, my kids have taken their PSP's and Nintindos with them tethered to their wrists on long trips. keeps them setting still and awake.

Back