• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking at used K75's: need advice

spanky

I'd rather be riding...
Hey folks,

I've got this same thread posted over at K-Bikes.com and am just trying to capture as much intel as possible.

I'm looking at buying a K75 for my SO as an upgrade from her Yamaha XJ700. She's enamored with the BMW brand and seems to have taken to the K75 model and I've managed to find the following local examples:

1992 K75S w/50K, excellent cosmetic shape, luggage & tank bag, tools, runs well but seems like it might need a spline lube. Could get it for $3200

1991 K75C w/70K, rough shape, luggage and turn signals have served as outriggers, needs lots of cosmetic TLC, runs VERY well, very strong, owner has it listed at $2500 but will take $2000 firm, he dropped his price by acknowledging its condition and the fact that it needs new tires.

1987 K75C w/34K, very good condition, 3rd owner, no luggage, I'm going to look at it this afternoon. Owner's asking $2000 for it.

My question is what am I gettin myself into in terms of bugs, hassles, etc. What should I be on the lookout for with these various model years? As much as I like the '92 something tells me it'll need a spline lube ASAP. It's had a gentle life and semi routine maintenance; its current owner has owned it twelve years and has put an average of 1K miles per year.

Comments? Advice? Thanks

The bike seemed to go into a false neutral rather easily particularly between 2nd and 3rd, the shifter required rather stout foot pressure to shift into another gear otherwise the transmission would make a "ratcheting noise" as if the gears are not fully engaged, and it hasn't had a spline lube in seven years according to its owner.

I've ridden two other K bikes (a K75 and a K1100) since I test rode this one and they also exhibited a slight tendency to do the same thing but to a far lesser degree. I've owned a K1 and a K12RS and neither bike had those traits hence my thread asking for feedback.

Over the past many years all I've read about the K75 is how durable they are, can go many miles with basic maintenance, seem to last forever, smooth but not sexy performance, etc. I've read of problems in certain model years involving the transmissions, water pumps, and perhaps some electrical stuff but that's it.

So, what bugs are known, what should I look out for other than what I've already noticed?

They didn't make a C model in '91. Last one was built in March '90. It's probably a basic K75.

Cs came with a rear drum brake. The drum is part of the wheel, so it can be very expensive if you chew up the drum. Used rear drum wheels do not come up for sale very often.

Mileage on the '87 COULD be suspect. Early Ks had problems with speedometer/odometers failing and many have been replaced with zero mile speedos at some point in their life. Sometimes you will see a white 1"x2" sticker on the frame under the seat indicating that it was replaced and at what mileage.

Cs and basics have much less tupperware that can be damaged in a drop. But, the S is MUCH nicer looking and has better wind protection. The S windscreen does cause noticeably higher wind noise around the helmet (earplugs take care of that).

Stock S front suspension is better than either of the other bikes (less dive under braking and less front travel), but all of the original rear shocks will be junk and hopefully have been upgraded.

The bars on the S will probably be a bit too far forward and low (easily remedied with A&S barbacks). The bars are also slightly wider on the non Ss.

The 3 spoke wheels on the later Ss are less well supported around the rim and will bend easier on extremely hard hits on deep chuck holes (you're supposed to ride around such things).

I am EXTREMELY biased towards K75Ss. They are a much sexier bike than the other K75s which are more utilitarian, but either can be a very reliable bike with minimal maintenance once the stuff that has been ignored for years has been taken care of.

Probably the most important thing to check before buying any early K is the condition of the inside of the tank and the fuel pump vibration damper. If the bike has been sitting with moisture in the tank, the tank can corrode (it's aluminum so i won't rust) and create pinhole leaks along the bottom seams.

Pull the fuel cap assembly and look at the bottom of the tank at the extreme left and right sides along the seams. Discoloration is not good. Accumulated crud is not good.

A brownish tinge to the inside indicates that bad fuel (from sitting too long) has started to attack the fuel pump vibration damper and turn it to goo. If you can, reach into the tank and rub your finger against the black rubber that surrounds the pump. It should feel firm like a car tire not soft or especially not gooey. The goo can get sucked into the pump and fuel system causing problems.

If your are mechanically inclined, a front spline lube is pretty straight forward and is covered in detail several places, but will take a relaxed weekend the first try.

Things you should do on ANY early K that you buy:

Pull fuel pump inspect vibration damper and pump inlet screen replace as necessary. Clean well in tank where pump goes (usually some crud or dirt there).

REPLACE the fuel filter unless you KNOW it's been done very recently.

Lube driveshaft splines.

Check the valve adjustment.

Check the crankcase vent hose and replace (I can almost guarantee it will be cracked).

GO RIDING! USE the powerband over 4500rpm!!

:dance:dance:dance

Thanks

98Lee,

Wow, thanks so much for the in-depth info on the K75! I own and have owned many BMW's but know nothing of this bike other than the bits and pieces I've gleaned off the innernet. I'll be back later today with my impressions on the one I'm looking at this afternoon.

For what it's worth I'm inclined to like the K75S as well. The one I've looked at has bar backs and that will make a difference for my SO. I had no idea who might offer a set should I elect to go with another bike but now I do!

You're a man of few words, Paul, but thanks for the feedback!

Well, the transmission in the 92 sounds to be in some distress. Not a huge deal but the prospect of spending $500 to $1,000 on top of a $3,200 bike didn't appeal to me.

The '91 didn't appeal to me because bikes that are rough and neglected on the outside are often the same on the inside. Folks need to take care of little things before they become big things. There are just too many nice ones out there to settle for a beat up one.

So I said buy the '87. It sounds well cared for. Mechanically there are not huge differences. Yes the drum brake could be an issue in another 100,000 miles or so. Mine went about 175,000 miles before I switched it over to a disk by getting the disk system parts and wheel. It is a straight bolt over. I got a transmission, driveshaft, final drive, the brake parts, and wheel for $500.

The 1987 K75.......

.....wasn't as advertised. The right side of the bike looked as though it had been through a low speed crash. While the tupperware looked okay a few pieces didn't have good fitment, the headlight nacelle looked like it was a cheap aftermarket replacement, and the dash/handlebars/controls. etc., looked faded as though the bike had been stored outside.

A test ride, however, yielded impressive results; the bike ran strong and shifted well. It needs new tires, a new seat pan, and God knows what else. I suspect it has a salvage title. The seller was very candid about how he acquired the bike and how much he paid for it. I learned that it was a bike I'd previously seen on Craigslist last fall but ignored because the ad was rather blunt about its condition. The current seller has owned it for nine months and is selling it because his wife doesn't like riding on the back.

Okay, but this is where it gets interesting. He started out by asking $1000 more than he paid for it then started dropping the price to generate some interest.

Well, I'm not interested but dayum, that bike ran great!

Run ANY prospective used bike throguh NICB's VinCHECK database here:
https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck/vincheck

You'd better believe your insurance company will before it decides to write a policy. Even the most perfect looking bike can be have a salvage brand, they are not always disclosed on the title.

Try it out with this VIN: WB1057406J0132232
It is for a K75C I looked at that had a clean title...

Last edited:
I would keep lookiing until a better bike comes along. With bikes, cheap is frequently cheap. Paying more for a better bike is often the cheapest.

Spanky:

Have you checked out the flea market? Currently, there are 10 K75's listed there (though none in Colorado). You'll get, I think, a better picture of what is out there and what folks are asking when you do.

Larry Johnson
El Paso, TX
"A bunch of BMW-K's"

has your SO ridden a K75 yet? Does she have the inseam for it?It's a top heavy bike.

Ridden one? No. Sat on many? Yes. I've briefed her on the K75's ergos, its top heavy nature, and slightly different riding position than what she's used to. She's still game though so I keep looking.

Spanky:

Have you checked out the flea market? Currently, there are 10 K75's listed there (though none in Colorado). You'll get, I think, a better picture of what is out there and what folks are asking when you do.

Larry Johnson
El Paso, TX
"A bunch of BMW-K's"

Thanks for the reminder! You know, the flea market isn't connected to the forums so I rearely go there. I toured it for a while this morning and saw Ace's bike (nice but too far away) and a couple of other prospects.

A k75 is going to be a much different machine than her XJ700. I have an XJ550 Seca and my son has an XJ 700 Maxim. When I bought my K75 four years ago, I wasn't sure I had made a good decision. That seat is way up there when you have a 32" inseam. I slid the front forks and put a short shock on back and I can just flat foot it now, but it can still be tough to back it up on anything but a smooth, level surface. As I get older, that seat gets harder to swing a leg over. I will probably catch flack for this, but the Yamahas are an easier bike to ride. The clutch and shifting are smoother, the seating position is different, and they just feel more nimble [ they should since they are smaller machines]. Around town my 550 feels much better. But Dayum, on the road that K does feel good. So much smooth power and a very stable ride. An S model will be much different than her 700 with its lower , narrower handlebars. I have to have the upright position, so I have a C model that I changed the headlight on and installed a Plexifairing windshield. Makes for a nice, comfortable ride.

If possible, have her ride a K75[might be hard to find someone willing to loan one out]. That initial feeling of being top heavy and tall is always there, you just learn to live with it. Slow speed tipovers are not uncommon.

Just my 2 cents worth. All you Brick lovers, don't rag on me too much. I have my brick. I like it . I enjoy it, but BMW could have made the K75 better instead of just dropping it. A semi-cruiser type would have been nice. Just a little bit longer, seat and fuel tank lower, footpegs a little lower and further forward.

:bikes

A k75 is going to be a much different machine than her XJ700. I have an XJ550 Seca and my son has an XJ 700 Maxim. When I bought my K75 four years ago, I wasn't sure I had made a good decision. That seat is way up there when you have a 32" inseam. I slid the front forks and put a short shock on back and I can just flat foot it now, but it can still be tough to back it up on anything but a smooth, level surface. As I get older, that seat gets harder to swing a leg over. I will probably catch flack for this, but the Yamahas are an easier bike to ride. The clutch and shifting are smoother, the seating position is different, and they just feel more nimble [ they should since they are smaller machines]. Around town my 550 feels much better. But Dayum, on the road that K does feel good. So much smooth power and a very stable ride. An S model will be much different than her 700 with its lower , narrower handlebars. I have to have the upright position, so I have a C model that I changed the headlight on and installed a Plexifairing windshield. Makes for a nice, comfortable ride.

If possible, have her ride a K75[might be hard to find someone willing to loan one out]. That initial feeling of being top heavy and tall is always there, you just learn to live with it. Slow speed tipovers are not uncommon.

Just my 2 cents worth. All you Brick lovers, don't rag on me too much. I have my brick. I like it . I enjoy it, but BMW could have made the K75 better instead of just dropping it. A semi-cruiser type would have been nice. Just a little bit longer, seat and fuel tank lower, footpegs a little lower and further forward.

:bikes

I really, really, really appreciate this feedback. I've told my SO pretty much the same thing but after having ridden on the backs of my RT, my K1200RS, and K1200S she's completely in love with BMW's and nothing else will suffice. Trust me, I've tried to sway her to other manufacturer's but she won't have anything to do with them. Heck, she even turns up her nose at the F800ST (over my budget anyway)because it doesn't have shaft drive.

I'm with you regarding the Yamahas. The 550 was a little screamer and the XJ700 runs and shifts well, if it had a larger fuel tank we wouldn't be having this discussion.

She has sat on several K75's and even a K1100 and while she can't flat foot them she has the balls of her feet firmly on the ground and in control of the bike. Of course, once the bike gets under way everything changes and that's the problem - how to get her a test ride when the possibility of a standing still or low speed/parking lot tipover is a possibility?

This brings me to my current choices one of which is a very pristine '92 S model. This thing is immaculate and it would break both our hearts to see it smack the asphalt but what can you do? :banghead

I'm going to copy and paste your comments into an email so she can read and better understand someone else's point of view.

I really, really, really appreciate this feedback. I've told my SO pretty much the same thing but after having ridden on the backs of my RT, my K1200RS, and K1200S she's completely in love with BMW's and nothing else will suffice. Trust me, I've tried to sway her to other manufacturer's but she won't have anything to do with them. Heck, she even turns up her nose at the F800ST (over my budget anyway)because it doesn't have shaft drive.

I'm with you regarding the Yamahas. The 550 was a little screamer and the XJ700 runs and shifts well, if it had a larger fuel tank we wouldn't be having this discussion.

She has sat on several K75's and even a K1100 and while she can't flat foot them she has the balls of her feet firmly on the ground and in control of the bike. Of course, once the bike gets under way everything changes and that's the problem - how to get her a test ride when the possibility of a standing still or low speed/parking lot tipover is a possibility?

This brings me to my current choices one of which is a very pristine '92 S model. This thing is immaculate and it would break both our hearts to see it smack the asphalt but what can you do? :banghead

I'm going to copy and paste your comments into an email so she can read and better understand someone else's point of view.

K75 nomenclature can be confusing. There are of course the K75S and K75RT bikes that are easy. Then there are the K75/3 and others, etc.

My advice would be to try to find a low seat standard model. Then put any of several windshields on it depending on how much she wants/is used to.

The low seat will be an advantage, and in the event it gets dropped there is little plastic to get damaged.

At the moment our K75 fleet includes several, and we have had at least 4 others too, so we have quite a bit of experience with them.

At the moment:

1987 S
1991 S
1994 Low seat standard
1995 Low seat standard
1995 RTP

Back