• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Looking at used K75's: need advice

The K75 standard that was made from 1989-1995 came with a low seat, and a good chunk of them with ABS as well. It also has a disk rear brake and the beefier spline material. You might have her try that, I am not inseam-blessed and the low seat was actually too low for me.

k75.gif

The last year of the K75C, 1988, it was available as a special edition white with low seat, but those are quite rare. You'll want a bike with hard cases, and if you plan on running lots of lights and heated gear find a '93 to '95 with the upgraded electrics (you can check just by pulling off the right battery cover and peeking at the alternator - the good 50Amp one will have a label that says so.)

Another added few bonuses of the K75 standard are the more upright riding posture with the RT bars, and the wide variety of aftermarket windscreens that will bolt on to the naked front.

As for ABS, I *heartily* recommend it - there are really two camps on it, but for non-expert riders it really is a blessing.

Ridden one? No. Sat on many? Yes. I've briefed her on the K75's ergos, its top heavy nature, and slightly different riding position than what she's used to. She's still game though so I keep looking.

I can't count the number of people at rallies or other BMW gatherings who have asked to sit on my wife's K75. Most of them women but some inseam challenged men as well. Over the last couple years, we've considered replacing it with a newer motorcycle but she hasn't found anything she likes better than her K bike. I can't complain, it's been the most reliable bike we've ever owned.

100_0577.jpg

What I finally bought.....

It's been over 1 1/2 years since I entered a post to this thread and since I finally found a bike for the SO I thought I'd pop in with a pic and a story.

The fact is we never found a K75 we felt wouldn't set us back more $$ in maintenance after the sale on top of already inflated prices.

I kept looking for a reasonable alternative and found an option at a northern CO BMW dealer. We rode up to check out a nice Triumph Sprint but the SO thought its riding position was too aggressive. I looked around their lot and spied a nice R1100R sitting between some large BMW's.

I test rode it and loved it. She took it out and loved it. She can flat foot it in the lowest seating position, it came with factory luggage, and has been well maintained. The dealer gave me what I wanted for our trade, I paid him the rest on the spot and she rode this little beauty home:
Debnbike003.jpg

It's been over 1 1/2 years since I entered a post to this thread and since I finally found a bike for the SO I thought I'd pop in with a pic and a story.

The fact is we never found a K75 we felt wouldn't set us back more $$ in maintenance after the sale on top of already inflated prices.

I kept looking for a reasonable alternative and found an option at a northern CO BMW dealer. We rode up to check out a nice Triumph Sprint but the SO thought its riding position was too aggressive. I looked around their lot and spied a nice R1100R sitting between some large BMW's.

I test rode it and loved it. She took it out and loved it. She can flat foot it in the lowest seating position, it came with factory luggage, and has been well maintained. The dealer gave me what I wanted for our trade, I paid him the rest on the spot and she rode this little beauty home:
Debnbike003.jpg

That's funny. I mentioned our 4 K75s. But I also have an R1150R. If you'd asked about them ...

Nice end to the story -

VERY pretty bike! I like the k75s, but there is something about that boxer twin..:bow:bow

That's funny. I mentioned our 4 K75s. But I also have an R1150R. If you'd asked about them ...

Paul,

I have a 1150RT and consider myself semi-knowledgeable about the boxers. I've always admired the roadster's and when I saw this one I was hoping it would work for my SO. It did and the rest is history. The funny thing is that I love riding it as much as she does because it seems so sporty in a way that's different than my
K1200S.

One thing about the R1100 that's surfaced is that it tends to hang up into a false neutral when shifting from 1st to 2nd unless the rider preloads the shifter. Perhaps I should post about that in the R bikes forum.

>>Mileage on the '87 COULD be suspect.<<

Possibly, but not necessarily. I bought a '92 K75 "Standard" last spring with a mere 9200 miles on the clock since new. (have records to prove) And yes, although it had few miles on it I had a complete spline lube job done. Since it had done more sitting than riding I thought it best. Now, I'll never have to do it again! :)

Back