• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

4 way flashers

ISAMEMON

Grammarian no, Rider yes
so I have an 85 R80RT
in my 45 years of riding I would have only wanted for me, 4-way flashers twice.
But on many rides with buds where other older bikes brake down, it would be nice at night to have at least one bike with flashers

so anyone have a nice parts breakdown and instructions for adding as near as stock looking flasher system to my scooter
85 RT so I have the two empty rocker switch locations next to my clock and amp gauge
thanks guys

buy the way.......yahoooooooooooooo spring............:bolt

Snowbum has the stock system documented here:

http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/misclelectrical.htm

In one of his Airlist posts, he said this:

"If you want a relatively simple way of making an emergency flasher for your
bike, it is a simple on-off switch that when on joins the left and right flasher
lamps....and any convenient place to tap the wiring would work.

NOTE: The lamps could only be lit when the ignition switch was on, and the turn
indicator pod lamp won't be operational, since its wiring places it across the lamp circuits (L & R). The turn indicator circuit could be modified to work with that switch on, but hardly really necessary...you would know when all the lights are flashing.
The existing flasher would handle the extra two lamps."

Pretty much over my head, but there you go...

some (all?) of the late 70's Euro-spec RS models came with a stock 4-way flasher unit. press top down, lights up red, signals flash. press down again, flashers off. mounted to inside of fairing "spider", left hand side. no clue on the wiring- it came that way, always worked fine.

thanks
om my computer, snobums notes are hard to read, buit Im sure I can figure it out.

Instead of creating a "kludge," why not install the factory kit?

It's available at least from Motobins if not just any dealer
http://www.motobins.co.uk/bmw-parts.php?model=R Series 2 valve Twin
Click "electrics" and then "hazard warning kit."

The factory kit is cool in that it uses a relay that means you can activate the flashers with ignition on and they will continue working when ignition is switched off. Concurrently, the flashers cannot be activated with ignition off.

The 4-way flasher kit was NEVER standard equipment on any model any year.

Of course if you ever pace a bicycle race or ride in a parade, these are really cool to have.

+1 on the BMW kit from Motobins.

Installed mine last year and I love it. Sudden rainstorms, fog, helping others on the side of the road....

Easy-ish to install and, of course, looks good too. May have beena little spendy though. Can't remember exactly.

The 4-way flasher kit was NEVER standard equipment on any model any year.

well, it sure did come standard on my 1978 R100RS "Belgian Polizei" bike. (which, of course, was neither a Belgian nor a Police bike). Like I said before- "some (all?) of the Euro spec models came with...".
of course, that bike came with a number of things that did not come standard on most other models of the time- kicker, oil cooler, 40mm pipes, 70hp, etc.

well computers have spoiled me, so when a link is supplied I hope to go there direct. the motobins link only took me to the home page

so after posting this question, I went out for a ride, then looked at my bike closer.
I have "runnin' lites" and with the ignition switched to that position, ive got plenty of road side lights,

another option would be just ot go to a bicycle shop and get one of those blinky lights they sell for the back of bicycles.

of coure the best option is for me and my scooter not to break down :doh

Made a home made 4 way circuit for my RS 28 years ago. Nothing fancy and not hard to do. I've probably used it more than I've used my horn.

I can't get a handle on the issue at all:scratch

My 85 R80RT has the flasher on the dash under the instrument pod.
My bike was made for the Canadian market, at least it was sold here
when new and has Km on the odometer and no miles at all on the speedo.
Was that some Canadian requirement? Or an option?

Is this the stock kit that can be installed? I did replace the rubber cover a
few years back, it was hardened and cracking.

Just to clarify layout... The left rocker is for the grip heat, the blank right rocker
I was told was for foglights?? The round knob right of centre is a heater controller
I installed for my jacket. But the square red button lower centre is a four way
flasher control.
iphone pics.jpg

But the square red button lower centre is a four way
flasher control.

I'd never noted this before, but there are clearly two part numbers for that cover and you've installed the wrong one, i.e. the one for the RS. The triangle should have a flat side at the bottom. Only on the (early) RS is the switch installed with longest side up/down rather than right/left.

Attachments

• Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 94
there are clearly two part numbers for that cover and you've installed the wrong one, i.e. the one for the RS.

Yes, the red button may be the wrong one.... I replaced it a few years back and can't recall which way the arrow pointed. It fits and works properly, never cared about the graphics...

Last edited:
having not seen a 85 r80rt, which I have, that has the flashers, I thought that they would go on the small dash up by the clock and voltmeter wher it appears to have two block out plates ( that rattle) and I assumed that is where the switch would have gone. If I install one, that is proba where it will go, but now Im thinking of passing for now as cost for kits is spendy, and the fac switch is not cheap alone. Have been offered a used one at a good price, but not sure if I move forward
thanks for the replys and info

finally 70 degrees predicted for today in oregon. why am I sitting here and not riding

oh yeah.............work :banghead

I just leave a the turn signal going while I do whatever. The cheap way out but my bikes a bit older.

Back