• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Helmets, fog and cash

Cycl2day

Cycl2day
Rode 350 miles to Canada on Friday and 350 back today in the rain, all the way. My HJC IS-Max continually fogged as I exhaled. If I vented, I got wet, If I closed tight - on came the fog. Short of not breathng I could not find a solution.

?? for you Shuberth, Arai, Shoei, et.al. owners. Do the high line helmets (or any others) do a better job, or totally prevent the exhale then fog routine?

I have a nolan 102 and it came with a pinlocK system. The new shurbarth C3 also has it. This system works to eliminate fog. I have had cases where my glasses fogged, but not the visor.

Pinlock is available for your helmet

Google it - expect to cough up $70 or so. Works well in even the worst rain/fog/fogging conditions.

I have an Arai RX-Q helmet and yes the shield fogs up. If you open the chin bar vent open all the way it does help a little. Never tried the pinlock, but from what I've heard that seems to be the way to go. Regardless of helmet make.

Yes, Arai and other fog, Pin Lock seems the only good solution, now If I could keep my glasses fog free, even cat crap is only marginally effective.

Richard - Weak Sauce Tour 6.1 - was wet yesterday - Kyle came up from NJ - but Andrew, Paul and I rode 5 hrs. in the rain & fog - I think we breath to much - I guess it's the down side to wearing glasses in the rain - one good thing - I washed my jacket & pants !

+1000 on the Pinlock. Have had it on my Shoei Rf-1000 for years and it has never failed me. Google "HJC Pinlock" or "Pinlock HJC" and you're good to go. They are model specific, so be sure you get the Pinlock-ready shield and insert(s) for your specific lid.

my HJC

I've got the HJC white full-face with the pinlock faceshield.

It's monogrammed, too, since those are my initials ;)

I've also got an Arai full-face Profile in white.

Harry

My Shoei Multitec fogs up bad too. I'll get the pinlock system before next winter. but first I have to get through this winter. Had 6" of snow at my house in the CA foothills yeterday. It was almost 90 degrees less than two weeks ago.

Get a Fog City Shield Fog Insert for less than $20 at one of several online Moto gear dealers. Indysuperbikes to name one. They work very well.

Schuberth C3

Rode 350 miles to Canada on Friday and 350 back today in the rain, all the way. My HJC IS-Max continually fogged as I exhaled. If I vented, I got wet, If I closed tight - on came the fog. Short of not breathng I could not find a solution.

?? for you Shuberth, Arai, Shoei, et.al. owners. Do the high line helmets (or any others) do a better job, or totally prevent the exhale then fog routine?

My Shuberth does not fog. Rode in this morning in the rain without a problem. I had an HJC SyMaxII and it always fogged up even when I tried to use a defogger.

I recently got a new HJC with the pinlock visor...it does work well, but I find the two layers of plastic to be noticeable. I wear glasses and that makes three layers of material to effect my vision.

I also have an issue with my glasses fogging, but I am trying out some stuff called FogTech which, so far, has worked very well...you can get it here: http://www.fogtech.com/

It is billed as being safe for helmet visors, glasses, any plastic or coated lenses...

Good luck!

Fog Tech, Pinlock

I am currently doing some testing for the Fog Tech wipes. I took the Pinlock out of my X-11 helmet, that works fairly well. The Fog Tech wipes does work on the visor and the sunglasses, but not the prescription lenses. I was informed that that was due to a coating on the prescription lenses. It depends a lot the conditions that you ride in, how often you reapply treatment.... I have noticed that the pinlock really only last about a year, before you need to replace the shield and the pinlock (due to scratches and the pinlock no longer being firm). I have one more week of testing with the Fog Tech wipes, it seems to be the most cost efficient way to go....

I am currently doing some testing for the Fog Tech wipes. I took the Pinlock out of my X-11 helmet, that works fairly well. The Fog Tech wipes does work on the visor and the sunglasses, but not the prescription lenses. I was informed that that was due to a coating on the prescription lenses. It depends a lot the conditions that you ride in, how often you reapply treatment.... I have noticed that the pinlock really only last about a year, before you need to replace the shield and the pinlock (due to scratches and the pinlock no longer being firm). I have one more week of testing with the Fog Tech wipes, it seems to be the most cost efficient way to go....

Good to know, thanks. Fog Tech worked the one time I tried it on my prescription glasses...but I need to give it a few more tries...

Good to know, thanks. Fog Tech worked the one time I tried it on my prescription glasses...but I need to give it a few more tries...

I've been using it on my glasses for six or seven years. It isn't perfect, but I can't see without it. The small bottle was about $15 when I bought it, five or six years ago. It's almost gone now and a new bottle is ready to go.

My Scorpion EXO-700 does a better job of remaining fog-free than any helmet I have ever owned. That said, the tinted Scorpion visor I got doesn't have whatever coating they put on the inside of the stock shield and it fogs up like crazy.

Back