• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BioLite Stove.

grafikfeat

Now this looks very promising!
Supposed to be available this Spring.

BioLite is a revolutionary stove that makes cooking on wood as clean, safe and easy as modern fuels while generating electricity to charge cell phones and LED lights off-grid.

Boil Water on Twigs.

<object width="640" height="510"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/JmHCIBvI6vE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/JmHCIBvI6vE?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="510" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

The Website:
http://www.biolitestove.com/BioLite.html

I read through all of their literature on the website and could find nothing about whether it will work without the fan. That would be the stickler. what if your little thermo-generator went south?

Seems like it could be made a lot less complicated by having the fresh air inlets along the very bottom and let natural convection take care of providing the fresh air.......after all heat rises.

it's not a new idea, there are a couple of other stoves which work on twigs also and do not have the need of a thermo-generator.

Ken

If the unit went south? Get a new one.

Kinda hard to do in the middle of timbucktoo when you are trying to make morning coffee now isn't it mate?

Not trying to be arguementative, I'm just saying that I would rather rely on something that is more simple, or possibly repairable with a BMW tool kit "in the wild".

Simpler Models

I remember a similar stove that used AA batteries to power the fan. Some sort of fan is key for these type of stoves to be competitive, heat-wise, with traditional camp stoves. You just can't move enough air by passive means in a unit small enough to be practical. As with any stove, you need some fuel source, so these are not the best choice for above tree-line camping unless you want to carry charcoal.

Kinda hard to do in the middle of timbucktoo when you are trying to make morning coffee now isn't it mate?

Not trying to be arguementative, I'm just saying that I would rather rely on something that is more simple, or possibly repairable with a BMW tool kit "in the wild".

While I agree the beer tent can get a little wild...
One picks and chooses their gear based on the trip/destination, eh?

Last edited:
I have had a Kelly kettle for years, love it for casual hiking/camping. I take a single burner Coleman on the road, but if you are looking for a twig burner, this baby will boil water in a few minutes. No electricity, just heat. Picture could be better, its basically a kettle wrapped around a chimney. Feed twigs in the top, water boils in the body.
kelly.jpg

Back