• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

got the R90 out in the sun

Installed digital VM under fairing dash so as to see it. used the fairing support bolt. Had to shrink fingers to get it in there. It reads a little high, maybe about .1 to .2 volt. Also put in one of those cool adjustable voltage regulators. Volts hold steady Eddie now, right at 14.2 goin down the road.

Attachments

• P1010964.JPG
    P1010964.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Dash is about where I want it. Have other gauges but don't ride hard enough to monitor cylinder head or oil temps. That green button is on/off to digital VM.

Attachments

• P1010962.JPG
    P1010962.JPG
    155 KB · Views: 88
Had to move the VM deeper into the fairing, too much light when sun out back. Whatever, switched over to the opposite side of the fairing mount bolt. Only need a peek once in awhile. FWIW.

Attachments

• P1010972.JPG
    P1010972.JPG
    152 KB · Views: 66
And now just a peek. Seems like a lot of work, but what the hay, it's an airhead. And, I can check the other VM which is always wrong!

Attachments

• P1010976.JPG
    P1010976.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
P1010979.jpgNext project, I think I'm gonna cut my priceless S fairing so I can quickly detach it whenever necessary without trying to stretch it beyond comprehension and common sense. What could the braineeac BMW engineers have been thinking?

If you got an S fairing give it a stretch, try to pull it over that right extended signal stalk. If you don't get hernia, get back to us.

Last winter, in the dead of a global warming sub zero day, I gave it a stretch. After all, what could possibly happen? It was designed by BMW! Well, it cracked. And, I thought to meself, "self, we got a problem."

Solution, cut it, figure a way of connecting it, and we have a bad idea with a good outcome. Of course, it didn't help mounting a second lower yoke, but that's another idea for another time.

Funny, many years ago I traded a guy a slightly chewed up S fairing for a valve cover. Oh the parts I wish I had kept. I'll try to post a picture.

Last edited:
Here's where I cut my priceless aluminum S fairing last year. That was an existential crisis. Hours and hours and hours went into that project before I realized if I took a header, the fairing would likely not move much, or break away. So, off it came in the pursuit of my safety, however, I did cut it for easy removal, and it worked out nicely. So, how hard could it be to cut a plastic fairing? Answer, very easy.

Attachments

• P1010983.JPG
    P1010983.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 46
Back