• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mississippi River???

Polarbear

Polarbear
Ya'll know I travel South crossing the USA on my way to PA this year and the River is LARGE this year, flooding everything in sight I see on the news! My route is South as one can get along the coast of Texas and LA., so I may need some advice on water in that area soon. My GSA is good to about a foot+ of water deep, not beyond that without a snorkle to the airbox! Should make for some interesting photo's and water crossings? Maybe take some time to volunteer some help to those poor folks, as I think will be needed in large numbers. Seems I'm headed for damnation alley, with recent tornado's destruction all about and flooding coming. I'd be more than happy to stop, take a day+ break from riding to help somebody in need. Not much, but something..anybody join me?.Randy:usa

Randy - "South as one can get" means I take it South of I-10. That will likely having you cross the Mississippi at Sunshine or New Orleans? Shouldn't be a problem at the Mississippi unless a levee fails somewhere which is unlikely. Bridges and major roads should be OK but if you plan to cross the river by ferry, they tend to stop operating when the water gets too high. Word is that the Corps of Engineers will open the control stucture at Morganza and divert some flow down the Atchafalaya river. This may cause some flooding in the Atchafalaya Basin down to Morgan City. Major roads like US 90 should still be open but best check ahead about one day's travel. I haven't heard too much concern about widespread flooding in South Louisiana but do know we are repositioning assets located at docks and bayou frontages based on possible local neighborhood flooding in Morgan City.

My Coast route is;

TX Highway 87 on the beach out of Galveston to the LA border, changes to LA Hwy.82 to New Iberia,Morgan City and N.to Baton Rouge and N.from there to Natchez, Mississippi. I have used Interstate 10 too many times and never seen the route above, closer to the shore. I hope I can see it soon and not have to alter my route down there. New Orleans, seen it too a few times, so a likely bypass that city for the above Natchez Trace:). Keep me posted as you hear if anything changes, I'll much appreciate that. Randy:thumb

Sunshine,LA?

Where is that, looking at my map cannot find Sunshine? Anyhow, that road across the bottom of LA looks neat enough on my map and is my target. Gators? I would assume aplenty in them waters. Can't wait to try my first gator dinner, or at least a taste of that critter. I hear its pretty good:). Randy

Sunshine bridge is on LA 70 between Donaldsonville and Gonzales. Sounds like you plan to cross North of there. Your route sounds safe but check the Morgan City area before hand - you may need to bypass to the West and North going to New Iberia. Check out the Tabasco factory tour near New Iberia.

I-10 is a safe bet but if the water is down you might consider continuing North through Lafayette on I-49 and then take US 190 East to around Port Barre (don't have a map in front of me), up to New Roads and cross the ferry to St. Francisville. 61 North from there to the Trace. More scenic than the slab but the ferry shuts down when the river is high. Check the Louisiana DOT site for closures.

Highway 61 is closed south of Vicksburg due to flooding. The Ferry is no more at St Franicsville. There is a bridge there now.

My bad! I hear that due to the high water they closed the ferry and opened the new bridge earlier than planned. Conditions sound pretty fluid in areas near the rivers.

I'm watching;

Been watching intently, from afar out West and hope July finds the region in better shape! I know the water will take its toll badly on all there in LA. and others too. I still intend on my plans to ride that area soon and will indeed bring my dollars to spend there, as little help as that sounds to be right now. The South has been ravaged lately and needs America to stand UP and I'm certain we will:). Randy

Back