• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMR 49L Top Case Rack

beemeup

2009 R1200RT
Does anyone out there have this top case rack?

I would appreciate any information on how easy or difficult it was to install and
your overall satisfaction with this product. It looks good to me, but I'd sure like
to hear from someone who has installed one and is using it. Any and all tips that would be helpful are most welcome as well. Thanks, Don

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=007-R1200RT-TCR

Why not put 4 inexpensive bungee thingys on the case and avoid $175 (more than what I paid for my new Shad-they make BMW cases- top case) for the metal plate? The cases all have a weight limit to consider too, but more importantly I don't see the gain over simply strapping something on top-WO this expensive metal plate.IMO, a unneeded product!

Don --

I'm not sure if you ride solo or include 2-up riding in your adventures, but an alternate (albeit, more expensive) BMR option may be THIS, if you're riding solo.

large_image_black.jpg

The advantages are:
  • larger surface
  • more load capacity
  • better placement of load on chassis
  • preservation of top box lid
  • removable -- installs/removes quickly
Of course, it's a bit uncomfortable for a pillion, if you ride with one!!!

I bought this from BMR and it was incredibly easy to install. It works great too. I just got back from using it on a 2,000 mile raod trip and it held my spare coats and rain gear with much aplomb. Absolutely recommend it.

Personally I don't use a bungee "anything" on my bike. Not to mention scratching up the top of your $900.00+ case.

I like both the above options, and have actually considered the pillion option offered by the Martini drinking dog.....:thumb

You think the OP's option is expensive, I think the pillion plate is upwards of $300 bucks isn't it Theo? Since I never ride two up (wife has her own ride) this looks like a great option.

Rack

I have a U-Shaped pack from Mag's Bags that goes over the rear pillion, so I was considering adding the top case rack to hold a camping chair that folds down to the size of a laptop and my coats and rain gear. It would be helpful in making my pack up much easier when I'm on the road. I really don't want to scratch the top of the top case and don't like to use bungees for that reason. I usually use Rok Straps because they don't scratch. Thanks for the input folks. Don

Back