• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tires for K1200RS

lee

Debbie's Servant
My wife and I need new tires for our K1200RSs. Anyone able to get 8,000 to 10,000 out of their tires, if so what are you running.
My wife got 5,500 out of her Bridgestone 56 and I will get approx. 6,500 out of my 020.
Does the ME880 come in the 180 size to fit a 03?

You might get a better response if you posted to the K1200RS site: i-bmw.com.

No, wait, I remember now. You did post this same message to Vic's site. I even responded to it. There is about 4 years worth of knowledge and technical data on the site, just do a search under tires.

Bert,
Didn't you post on Vic's site that you've been using Avon Azaro's on the front of your R1150RT and your K1200RS?? If so, which Azaro's - the 45's by chance?

I'll need to replace the Dunlop 220's that came on my '03 K12RS before heading out to Charleston and am thinking about trying the Azaro 45/46's. Magazine test's on those tires say nice things about he handling, and Avon says they last a long time - but what is that really? ;)

- Greg Feeler
K1200RS, K1, K75S, K75, R75/5

Sorry, the Avons were the a35 front. I just purchased the new improved azaro st av45 which i will install on the front of the r1100s. It has a pretty radical profile; nearly flat on the two sides, which should make it turn in VERY quickly. I will post after some experience with this tire. I found that the azaro 35 is a longer lasting tire with good mileage as well as good traction in the turns and rain. I probably have gone through 4-6 of these in the last 3-4 years @ 35k miles /year. I highly recomment then.

I understand the 45/46's are updates to the 3x tires, but with about 20% more tread depth. I'll be very interested in your initial impressions of the 45. Thanks!

-Greg Feeler

ME 880

Running 880's on my K12RS ..approaching the 10K milage mark..the only thing I notice is there no cupping wear like the other brands that have been reported.

I am hearing of more and more folks trying the 880's on K12RS's, but have hesitated myself since they are marketed as a "touring/cruiser" tire. Made me wonder about cornering traction on a bike with the weight and power of a K12RS. I have tried a set of 880's on a K75 and was very impressed with both the wear and the handling.

I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Roads 350 miles ago and have spent those miles in the mountains of Idaho. So far I am *very* impressed with them over the stock Dunlop D220's.

- Greg

gfeeler said:
I am hearing of more and more folks trying the 880's on K12RS's, but have hesitated myself since they are marketed as a "touring/cruiser" tire. Made me wonder about cornering traction on a bike with the weight and power of a K12RS. I have tried a set of 880's on a K75 and was very impressed with both the wear and the handling.

- Greg

Less weight than the LT and about the same power.

tires

I have over 5k on Dunlop D220. I cannot detect any wear and NO CUPPING!!! These are the best tires I've tried. Great in the wet and even better in the corners. (and they even make a 180!)
You won't be dissapointed,
JIM

K1200 tires

I'm running the MEZ4's on my K12RS and so far they are doing great. I've got about 3000 on them and just came back from Charleston, W VA. Did great in the mountains.

I now have about 3k on a set of pilot roads and i love them. great turn-in and good in the rain. really confidence inspiring tires. I have not heard any one say any thing negative about these tires. no one has had them long enough to comment about life, but the Michelin 90s and 100s got good mileage and if these are as good, they will be the best tire buy on the market.

Bert - Might try the "Roads" at some point myself - I'm concerned about the lean angles however - they're more of a "road" tire from what we've been discussing over @ I-BMW.com. If you like to corner, (hard):brow , or believe the "street" is a track :D , they might not want to be your first choice.

The fact that they get what appear to be 20-30% better tire life "is" attractive.

I suppose what we all need is 2 sets of wheels.
One for "getting" to the rallies, ...... one for "riding" @ them?:idea

I have never though much of Metzler tires but the MEZ4's that came stock on my '02 K1200RS have given me a bit over 10,000 miles thru two iterations. I think I will try the Dunlops (D220) next as I believe tire mileage has a lot to do with "the rider".

I got 8,453 miles out of my last MEZ4 rear. This included almost 7,000 slab (2 trips to Colorado from Ohio). The sides still had plenty of life.

The first trip I had a much heavier gear load as the lady was along on her bike which requires more creature comforts in the camping gear. Bigger tent, more cookware, more footwear etc. This trip was 4,100 miles. The second trip had camping gear also, but much less since it was just me, bike felt lighter. I could put a footpeg down on the second trip, the first trip with preload all the way up but I could only grind the center stand.

I personally would be weary of an 880 on the K12. I have them on the R12 and they seem to stick well enough even with the foot peg full folded up, but I'd be a little uncertain in agressive twisties. Ask Fish, he wanted to race me in Deals Gap for Pink slips. In this kind of riding I do find the MEz4 front does not have enough stick as the bike will have a push in real agressive corners. The rear will slide a bit, especially with some trailing rear brake into the corner. But I don't mind the rear sliding, the front does bother me a bit more if it slides.

Tires

Just replaced my 880's after 11K+ in miles on my K12RS..the only reason I replaced them was because of the left wear on the front tire..other wise I'd probably get another 1K miles. I consider my self as a high speed long distant cruiser/tourer..of which these tires are great. As far as a serious 'twisty' use type of tire..I may hesitate...

Back