• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blechblos'n

In all of the previous discussion about this concert, this is the first time that I've seen where the concert was free.

Personally I don't care what BMW Motorrad USA does - I am just wondering about the tie in with the Rally. If this is part of the rally, then it is part of the rally - if the concert is separate, then it isn't part of the rally. It seems that some of the communications up to this point have been less-than-clear about the "separate" concert.

Regardless, I expect to go and have a good time at the rally.

Its for Joe Public

If the concert is associated with the rally, why is there an additional cost ?

The MOA has a strategic partnership with Motorrad USA to assist and support one another with events......... this was mentioned in meeting minutes a while back. It may have been in the ON with the distracting Scorpion ad, or the issue with the Honda on the cover or the one with the woman with the unsafe helmet no, no it was the dog eared one. :whistle

Additional cost ?

Because its open to the public and thus subject to the 20 % entertainment tax. The MOA Rally is NOT open to the public thus NOT subject to the entertainment tax..........the excuse we don't have day passes. The Motorrad Oktoberfest is a "conquest sales" event for BMW Motorrad USA trying to get Joe Public to see BMW bikes, win their hearts, wallets AND "give them an opportunity" that if they wish to see more lifestyle they could sign up for the MOA rally and join us........... to our benefit.......... BMW ran it Friday evening so the vendors goods was already picked through by rally goers.

And if the concert, sponsored by BMW Motorrad USA, is not part of the rally, then why is the MOA providing free publicity (e.g., prominently placed on the homepage) ?

Who said its free ?

Why is MOA getting free publicity on Motorrad USA'a site ?

Who said its free ?

Why is BMW Motorrad Canada attending the MOA Rally ?

To pay for vendor space to promote their dealer network event. More bikes sold in Canada, more dealers, more goods and services to BMW Owners who maybe our members. Plus it looks great for our Canadian family members because the MOA is an International organization.

Why doesn't BMW Motorrad USA just purchase ad space ?

They may have by giving X amount in financial support to rally events, future ad space in ON etc etc. IMO if BMW had their way they would be inside our rally making it look like theirs ...... they are not except for a Demo Truck offering FREE rides and paid for vendor space. They are a paid guest like we are. :thumb

How come Harley Davidson wasn't asked to attend ?

They are, BMW Motorrad USA allowed a public event. The MOA has also because all makes and models are accepted.

Is the promotion of the extra-fee concert in exchange for other goods and /or services ?

Everyone has a price point. Its also helping them offset the cost of doing business like paying the 20% entertainment tax, buying food and drink, tent and tiolets, and security, since they can't use ours.

How does the MOA club and membership benefit from freely promoting this concert ?

Joe Public comes to the event and likes German food and drink. He or she see BMW motorcycles and falls in love. They buy a bike(s) and safety gear that they most likely will never need and hopefully the BMW brand from a dealer who pays his employees. That dealer may even see if Mr or Ms Joe wants to join the MOA. More Joe Publics buy more bikes then BMW says I think we need more dealerships and services for the Joes'. More bikes sold, more dealerships, more goods and services for the owner(s) and maybe better towing service to apps, but not Alps..........thats for tour companies that support our magazine and a another story.

Or what I meant to say.

Its an entertainment opportunity for some of the membership that do not want to listen to our Friday night offerings. The event is saving me about 5 grand so I don't have to have my junk touched catching a flight to Germany. Its a party, I can leave my expensive helmet, two grand worth of gear on my bike and my key in the ignition. Plus its great to know where all the DUI Checkpoints are once I fly out of there...DUIs are expensive in the EU. :beer:bottle:drink:drink:wave

I'm calling it the "Drink the Bavarian Kool-Aid" event. BMW NA knows that the MOA Rally will stir up a bunch of attention in the surrounding areas. So they want to draw in non-MOA folks and generate interest in their products. Kind of like "If you buy one of our bikes, you too can be one of the Happy Rally Goers inside the Fairgrounds!"

Parasitic marketing at its finest. :deal

I feel for the VOLUNTEER gate and security folks...going to have their hands full...but you can't say Friday night is without a choice of entertainment... I count four for rally attendees during that time slot...

Here is what it actually says:

"An amazing treat for you: BMW has invited a very famous event band from Germany called "Blechblos'n" to join us for the first time in the USA. This madcap eight-person group is quite possibly the hottest rally band you will ever see and is one of the biggest draws at the Oktoberfest in Munich as well as outdoor festivals all over Europe. The fabulous "Blechblos'n" concert attendance is free."

blechbosn

Thanks statdawg for all that info, we are looking forward to the BMWNA tent, music, and dinner. i have no problem understanding the whys and wherefors of BMW the company doing a separate but concurrent event. Between the Fri. evening MOA entertainment and Blechblos'n, almost sounds like too much fun for one day.

Thanks statdawg for all that info, we are looking forward to the BMWNA tent, music, and dinner. i have no problem understanding the whys and wherefors of BMW the company doing a separate but concurrent event. Between the Fri. evening MOA entertainment and Blechblos'n, almost sounds like too much fun for one day.
:thumb

I think its also a test for BMW Motorrad because if this works then maybe they will do something each year with us, because they finally have bikes for all ages.

Event sharing is a trend. Tour-a-tec, Klim and Rawhyde does events together. Red Bull is involved with BMW in the EU. The bottom line is, if folks have fun so what if its commando marketing. I look at it as a appreciation event. :)

The show was the highlight of the rally for me. The show was excellent, food was good, and the band obviously put in a lot of work to creat a performance for their first appearance in America. Thanks to everyone responsible for this event and special thanks to the band. Sincerely hope I get the opportunity to see them again.

Steve

Paul Thorn had it right. If BMW NA gave a hoot, they would have held there entertainment, not in what became (in mho ) a competition, but in unison with The Rally. If you were enjoying The Rally entertainment, Blechblunder was annoying. Just my 2 cents.

While the Blechblos'n band was a hoot, (I attended before the MOA Friday night entertainment started), the BMW NA event certainly APPEARED to be in competition with the MOA event. I'm sure there is a story here somewhere, and we may never know it, but really, what gives?

BTW: I loved Paul Thorn!

The show was the highlight of the rally for me. The show was excellent, food was good, and the band obviously put in a lot of work to creat a performance for their first appearance in America. Thanks to everyone responsible for this event and special thanks to the band. Sincerely hope I get the opportunity to see them again.

Steve

Couldn't agree more Steve! We really enjoyed them!

One heck of a show. How many other bands would work that hard, in that heat, for as long as they did. I would pay and travel to see them again. I'd pay extra for air conditioning, of course.

I gave seminars all Friday morning. I had a couple of hundred attendees, from the several thousand folks at the rally. In no way did I consider myself to be in "competition" with the several other seminars being presented at the same time. I was an offering that was available to pick, as were the other seminars at the same time. Attendees got to choose what they wanted to do/see.

Well, there was music at the stage next to the beer garden, and a different performance at a second stage over by the BMW truck on the rally grounds. Much like a few other rallies I've attended - West Bend comes to mind - where there was more than one stage with concurrent entertainment. More choice for the rally goers.

Riders could choose to pay for a great dinner if they wanted to. But we could also sit at a table, drink a free beer, and enjoy the show without paying a single cent for the dinner or anything else. Voni had the dinner. I ate pizza with the Bloomsburg 1000 folks but we equally enjoyed the music.

Rather than scold BMW Motorrad USA for somehow competing with the MOA I think they should be applauded and thanked for bringing an absolutely superb and high priced act all the way from Munich to entertain at our rally at no cost to BMW MOA.

I think the critics have it wrong.

Last edited:
I thought Blechblos'n was outstanding. And I've never heard Highway to Hell accompanied by an S1000RR.:laugh

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKt-C-zpThk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKt-C-zpThk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I thought Blechblos'n was outstanding. And I've never heard Highway to Hell accompanied by an S1000RR.:laugh

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKt-C-zpThk?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iKt-C-zpThk?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

That act convinced me that the fly-by-wire throttle really works, since it can be used by a musician as percussion for a rock song. :)

Music choices

They were a great group of entertainers, and they were very vocal in expressing their thanks for being given the opportunity to play there. I got to listen to great music, and also had a free sample beer. I couldn't complain about either. Later I went to see the other act 'inside' the grounds, and they were also great. It would have been nice to be able to see both acts at different times, but I still really enjoyed myself. All of the musicians and band support should receive medals for working in that oppressive heat!

Not only did BMW NA pay for the entertainment, they may also have reduced the value of the 'musical BMW' that was used in one of the last songs...as an instrument!

I hope BMW NA gets to sell a few more bikes based on the performance....but I think it was really more of a 'thank you' gesture to all the BMW riders who attended...and maybe just a little bit of good-will building.

Relax allready

I attended the concert because I wanted to. Anybody that wanted to could enjoy the music just by sitting by the fence. I was embarrassed when one of my club members walked over and "mooched" a free beer. While you didn't have to show a ticket, the samples were supposed to have been for ticket holders only.

If I would have changed anything I might have had it a little farther from the main rally so you didn't have the spillover between the rally bands and them, but having said that then the rallygoers wouldn't have had the ability to enjoy it.

So I think it was great and hope that there will be more offerings like this in the future. If you want to go you can. If you don't that's OK too.

Blechblosn

I really enjoyed the show put on by Blechblosn. They were fantastic with all the props they kept coming out with. To the young lady from BMW in the PERFECT fitting jeans that got up on the picnic table and danced for about 20 minutes directly in front of me, blocking my view....I give a sincere thank you!!!

Back