• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cycle Ranch - Floresville, TX

U

USERNAME

this past sunday i rode with a friend down to floresville, texas (SE of
san antonio) to check out an MX track there. i was told it was pretty neat,
so we decided to brave the 42F morning temps, and head down there. i was
doing a shakedown cruise for my new sargent saddle and gerbing heated
jacket liner and glove liners.

many more photos can be found by following this link.

it had been raining, so things were muddy. the last mile or so of road is dirt,
and parts of it were muddy. that sure was interesting with my road tires! i
made it without dropping the bike, and i was pleased.

mx_29.jpg

this is a shot of part of the grounds. it turned out that there was a big
professional motocross race while we were there. i thought we were just
going to see a bunch of weekend yahoos out goofing off. heck no, we saw
the pros!

mx_33.jpg

here they are starting out. the course was huge - five miles long. these guys
ride it for two solid hours. it's nuts. what they must feel like when they are
done is something else.

mx_34.jpg

a shot of a small part of the course.

mx_36a.jpg

whoops!

mx_37a.jpg

this looks fun. these guys were getting hosed down with mud. you want to be
in front in this sort of thing...

mx_57a.jpg

Mud.

mx_59a.jpg

More mud!

mx_61.jpg

pit area. dang, was this ever nice!

mx_65.jpg

The (clean) leader.

mx_72.jpg

The dream gas fill up.

mx_78a.jpg

Wuhoo!

-----------------​

Last edited:
great bit of photo-journalism. (follow the link and look at the extra pics - it is worth it). thanks for sharing.
so....how did your bike get through the mud?
how did your bud like his new scoot?
and what about the sargent?

Cliffy777 said:
great bit of photo-journalism. (follow the link and look at the extra pics - it is worth it). thanks for sharing.
so....how did your bike get through the mud?

i rode it through. i didnt have to do anything quite as bad as the photos. one sort of mud puddle coming up the road. i just weighted the pegs, tried to stay loose, kept the throttle steady, told myself that bikes break and bikes get fixed, and wished for knobbies. :D

you know, of all the motorcycling enthusiasts there, we were the only ones who RODE to the event.

Cliffy777 said:
how did your bud like his new scoot?

he likes it. he got it mostly for the hell of it. he missed his normal ride, the '85 k100. he says that the k eats up miles effortlessly, and on the f650, it's more tiring, feels like more work, etc. the new bike is mostly to go explore ranch roads and some dirts roads around texas, so he isnt looking to ride it to escanaba or anything.

Cliffy777 said:
and what about the sargent?

it was good. i need to ride it again for a few more hours to see if it is good enough. it is wayyyyy better than stock, but i felt a little pressure where my butt meets my legs, and i want to see if that fades with break-in and that sort of thing.

Great shots, Username. I would have loved to go with you on that one. Watching folks ride in the dirt is a great time. However, I would have given you grief for pluggin in all those electrics at a balmy 40 degrees. I usually dont plug in till around 30 or so. I would tell you at what temp if the freaking snow would stop long enough to get a ride in.

lorazepam said:
Great shots, Username. I would have loved to go with you on that one. Watching folks ride in the dirt is a great time. However, I would have given you grief for pluggin in all those electrics at a balmy 40 degrees. I usually dont plug in till around 30 or so. I would tell you at what temp if the freaking snow would stop long enough to get a ride in.

[spews drink onto monitor] *balmy* 40 degrees? when it's 40 degrees, i hunker down and watch for mastadons. youve got to cut me some slack, dude, i've been down here for ten years, and my yankee blood is thin now. :) i definitely needed them turned on. i was wearing a lightweight long underwear top (some REI synthetic thing) and then the gerbing jacket liner, then my FG kilimanjaroII jacket over that, without the FG liner. i was not *cold* but i noticed the temperature and was a tad chilly. so i turned them on. the liner wasnt very tight on my body and so i didnt feel too much heat, as in hot spots, but i felt warm. when i pressed it against my torso, i could really feel it and it was too hot. when i did my test ride friday night i was wearing a dress shirt under the liner, and it felt a lot warmer. so i need to experiment with my layering and the layer that goes against my skin, and pick the right thing. i might also want to have the jacket taken in a bit so it is tighter, but i'll have to see. i'm still learning about all this 'dealing with cold on a motorcycle thing.'

lorazepam said:

14" in the driveway when I got in from work. First Gear HyperTex pants also work great for snow blowing and keeping the legs dry and warm

Back