• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Gypsy Tour

oh lordy...

get ready!

DSC01313.JPG

DSC01315.JPG

DSC01343.JPG

DSC01347.JPG

IMAG0101.jpg

Pics by Fred Huganir, who has volunteered to help out with routing.

Big Dogs and Puppies...

there will be rides on the Gyspy Tour for all level of skills.

Thanks to Rich Russell for shooting a few video clips of the ride research that is going on:

Rattlesnake Road
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZFWcIKDfJuo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sugar Camp Road
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RNsjcuO6cL0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kingston Road
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/y8oTftNq2_A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Oak Ridge Road
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-pQKMuYTmTY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

research on the ORV trails will be ongoing in the next week..... :evil

registration Gypsy Tour is where??

I guess I am missing something, but I can figure out how to register for the GTour.

I start on this page http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally11/local_area/the_gs_gypsy_tour_july_17_19 , lclick on "Register 'here' ", which takes me to http://stl.bmwmoa.org/core/events/events.aspx . But the list on that page says nothing about GTour (that is, the dates July 17 to July 19).

Maybe registration is intended here to be a qualifying test of my navigation skills?? :stick

BTW, how aggressive is the 300 mile run on 7/19? Dual sport 80/20 ok? Are there alternate routes around the rock climbing, canyon jumping? My level is sort of advanced beginner, traveling on a R12GS.

TIA, :bikes

I guess I am missing something, but I can figure out how to register for the GTour.

The Gypsy Tour is just one part of the GS Giant event. You can register just for this, or your can also register for training, day rides, the competition, etc.

Click on the GS Giant Adventure Event at http://stl.bmwmoa.org/core/events/events.aspx and you will be offered the opportunity to register for any or all of the events available, of which the Gypsy Tour is one.

Please let me know if this still isn't working for you.

There will be at least three options for the 300 mile ride on Tuesday: More dirt, less dirt, no dirt. You will probably enjoy the less dirt option best. We'll have GPS routes for all three available.

Ian

our volunteers are out scouting routes, and man is there ever a great number of adventure rides across the state of PA.

Gypsy Tour riders are especially in for a treat.... and registration is now open!

IRELANDB%252520176.JPG

Owl's Nest Road

DSC02401.JPG

Near Emporium, PA.

Thank you Rich Russell... we will make a member out of you next! :evil

Thanks to Rich Russell, volunteer ride scout.

GPS? Not me!

I hope I can find these roads without a GPS, as its not part of my repatoire! Printed routes would be helpful, wording, miles too turns, etc.? I have a compass:). Old school, but thats all this GSA will endure, and by choice:). Randy:thumb:usa

I hope I can find these roads without a GPS, as its not part of my repatoire! Printed routes would be helpful, wording, miles too turns, etc.?

we are not that organized. :dunno

honestly, we have so many rides coming from so many sources that it would take years to make route sheets for them all.

for some of the major rides, this is the best we can do. You can print a route list from these, but of course, these are all small trails with no road signs half the time.

Here's a good map that you can get once you're there....

Polarbear - check out this attached route sheet... this is the least paved route from Marienville to our final Gypsy Tour night near the rally.

Would something like this work for you?

(yer gonna have to print yourself, but we can have these linked to be downloadable for printing at home before you leave the rally).

ian

Attachments

• GT_LeastPaved.pdf
    112.5 KB · Views: 12
I hope I can find these roads without a GPS, as its not part of my repatoire! Printed routes would be helpful, wording, miles to turns, etc.? I have a compass :). Old school, but thats all this GSA will endure, and by choice :). Randy:thumb:usa

Randy you will do fine, we need a sweeper and a first aid expert.

We are talking a 100+ pound roasted steamship round of beef for dinner Sunday night.

:eat

...oh, and handcrafted beer. :buds

pasp01_steamship_round_lg.jpg

This is going to be the best GS ride ever across PA! Being followed by a giant grill and good beer! It just doesn't get any better.

This is going to be the best GS ride ever across PA! Being followed by a giant grill and good beer! It just doesn't get any better.

It gets better, Twisted Throttles bike is Black & Gold and it looks like a Steeler ride. :whistle

I mean MOA Ambassador Shirt colors. :laugh

All signed up and ready to ride.:clap Just got a new set of shoes for Trigger(GSA). Really looking forward to this well needed trip, and meeting some new riding friends.

Roy

Over the top of the hill in the foregoing photo, the gravel road wends it's way through apple orchards before it changes to asphalt, passing through where Lee's troops once marched towards Gettysburg and where two BS Points await:

DSC01436.JPG

Then you climb into the mountains of a State Forest and ride the crest of the ridge:

DSC01459.JPG

And take a quick peek down short logging side-road for a view of the next broad valley that you'll cross - to even more mountains and great roads!

DSC01463.JPG

You've only just begun, and yet the route has so much more!

Fred

Near ready now:)

New tires on, packing taking place daily now in my garage, still no GPS but I'll be along the PA Trails somewhere even so(new compass:). Sweeper's in my blood and first aide, no problem. This looks to be a real hoot of a time back there. My journey will be around 5000m just getting there, with my sidetrips and all and I'll be very anxious to meet up in Murienville, the 17th with a big smile. Hope we get the 100 riders, sure sounds neat enough! How many miles is the three days on dirt, total? Is the 72 miles the first day or total to Bloomsburg on dirt? I have only 14 days to depart day, so do I have to download anything, Gypsy Tour related, or collect it once there on site? I'll do some map homework of that region for my lacking GPS:), maybe a nice forest service map from the State of PA., or USFS..See ya'll in Murienville:). PS; The after ride dinners sure sound great too. I don't want to be a sour puss, but a non alcohol guy here needing other drinks:). No issues with all that do partake beer, I'm happy to be in the company with all. Randy"Polarbear"

...maybe a nice forest service map from the State of PA....
There are free glossy maps for each of the Pennsylvania State Forests, and they are more accurate than my Garmin's latest database (ver 2012.1). Can't be beat for the tankbag map window. They are available from Harrisburg, or you can pick them up at forest ranger headquarters for the respective forests. You can see and select the maps online.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/stateforests/index.aspx

Fred

Last edited:
Way to go, Fred:)

Thanks a million. Thats what I'm talking about:). I'll be on that like a June Bug on a Summer day buzzin about. Anybody showing up with some of these maps would be very popular too, make a few bucks... Thanks, Randy:thumb

Back