• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Gypsy Tour

Got it figured out, finally

There will be at least three options for the 300 mile ride on Tuesday: More dirt, less dirt, no dirt. You will probably enjoy the less dirt option best. We'll have GPS routes for all three available.

Ian

Ok, I am signed up for the Gypsy Tour, after some futsin with the registration links.:doh But that's done now.
Likely I'll be doing the beginner to intermediate dirt rides. Right now my R12GS has Anakee 2 on it, not to much worn. Is that enough tread for what you guys are planning? If not, suggestions. I'll be riding up from Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

Tires:)

I'm wearing BattleWings by Bridgestone, similar to yours on my GSA1200. I go nearly everywhere on these(offroad too) and find only sand/mud the biggest obstacles. I point it, get speed:) and hang on, because if you "stop" in mud/sand, you're gonna work much harder. I'm making some fun here, at your expense:). I'm a lifer dirt rider and will be FAR from my Calif. home, so I may be less than excited to get too risky in the woods with my transport GSA home. We may join up and do some good dirt exploring, leaving the hard core m/x byways to the locals, yes! IF anybody is interested, I can lead some intermediate riders and we'll have plenty of time to talk, get aquainted on the 17th in Murienville. I am camping:). My loves are water crossings, hardpack trails, gravel and so on, with a few challenges, mudholes and the like thrown in. Log jumping and huge boulders, I bypass if possible. Join me, find me in the camp, July17:). CA Plated GSA1200, Red/White with about 30 years GS riding, since 1982 in me. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear":thumb

Ok, I am signed up for the Gypsy Tour, after some futsin with the registration links.:doh But that's done now.
Likely I'll be doing the beginner to intermediate dirt rides. Right now my R12GS has Anakee 2 on it, not to much worn. Is that enough tread for what you guys are planning? If not, suggestions. I'll be riding up from Asheville, NC.

Thanks,

You'll be fine with those tires, as long as you stay off the single track in the ORV area, which I am hearing is pretty challenging.

if you're coming up from Asheville, I have two *perfect* Adventure Detours for you:

- Head a bit east to Lake James and ride Old NC105, which also takes you over Roan Mountain and down Little Stony Creek Road.

Go through Elizabethton, TN and find the...

- Cherokee WMA

These two rides will score you 50 points in your GS Giant total and point you toward Marienville.

There will be other options for you, too. Look for your scorebook coming to you in the e-mail around July 1 or so....

Ian

Tire selection

Advice for folks not familiar with PA off roading.
Rainfall can play a large factor in tire selection. Trails can go from easy Tourance category in dry conditions to knobs recommended or required in wet conditions.
The route planing takes this into account, so that none will be boxed into a corner of not riding if knobbies are not mounted.
However, if you would like to take advantage of the genuine gnarly challenging routes being offered - I would suggest knobs.

Bokrijder

Knobs are great,BUT!

Miles are to great for many of us riding very far to get there and the knobs are just outside of my options, $$$ wise. Hope for less rain:) I rode a rainy day in W.VA backwoods without issues on the DS tires. It was a intermediate trail in wet conditions. Wet and Steep terrain would be "out of bounds" for these DS tires indeed. See ya'll soon:). RandyGSA1200'07, just finished my service chores today, bike READY:)

I'm wearing BattleWings by Bridgestone, similar to yours on my GSA1200. I go nearly everywhere on these(offroad too) and find only sand/mud the biggest obstacles.

Yes, I looked up the BW's online, and they are similar to Anakee's. When I have done the forest trails around here, it was the mud patches that quickly clogged up the Anakees. Steeeep grades will spin the wheel. Water crossings are ok with me, as long as the stream is not deep mud, nor mossy, etc etc.

The non-asphalt riding I have done has been on my DRZ400 with knobs, so getting wild with the R12GS seems daunting to me. I'll ride more early July on the GS around home for the experience, but even so I am not seeing too much mudholes, log jumping, hang-gliding, cliff hanging in my future. ;)

I'm a lifer dirt rider and will be FAR from my Calif. home, so I may be less than excited to get too risky in the woods with my transport GSA home. We may join up and do some good dirt exploring, leaving the hard core m/x byways to the locals, yes! IF anybody is interested, I can lead some intermediate riders and we'll have plenty of time to talk, get aquainted on the 17th in Murienville. I am camping:). My loves are water crossings, hardpack trails, gravel and so on, with a few challenges, mudholes and the like thrown in. Log jumping and huge boulders, I bypass if possible. Join me, find me in the camp, July17:). CA Plated GSA1200, Red/White with about 30 years GS riding, since 1982 in me. Happy Trails, Randy"Polarbear":thumb

I'm looking forward to meeting you all and seeing how you handle the GS. :clap That will be great to experience. And looking forward to NOT being around those who keep telling me, GS aren't made for off-asphalt.

I'll be on the blue GS from North Carolina.

You'll be fine with those tires, as long as you stay off the single track in the ORV area, which I am hearing is pretty challenging.

if you're coming up from Asheville, I have two *perfect* Adventure Detours for you:

- Head a bit east to Lake James and ride Old NC105, which also takes you over Roan Mountain and down Little Stony Creek Road.

Go through Elizabethton, TN and find the...

- Cherokee WMA

These two rides will score you 50 points in your GS Giant total and point you toward Marienville.

There will be other options for you, too. Look for your scorebook coming to you in the e-mail around July 1 or so....

Ian

Yep, I haven't ridden single track on any bike, so not for me on the GS. And what Bokrijder says seems right. Rain and mud will overwork the Anakees. But I am sure that will be plenty of options now matter what happens. The photos I see above in the thread all seem doable to me, so I look forward to those roads. And we'll see what Polarbear is thinking up once we all arrive.

Your rides you list look great. Slick work with google maps. I am familiar with NC105 on the DRZ, so I'll try it now with the GS as one of my training rides while I'm still around here. The other one near Elizabethton I can try this weekend while I am at the MSTA rally in Johnson City. Being from Clyde, I'd guess you know the area pretty well, non??

This is looking fun. :yum
(I think..... :uhoh )​

Being from Clyde, I'd guess you know the area pretty well, non??

oh yeah. we live in atlanta, but have a retirement house up there. i've been riding & camping up that way since the early 80s... it is motorcycle nirvana!

if you like Old NC105, you're really going to like the rest of that route.

on the Cherokee ride, Holston Mountain road off US321 really doesn't look like much... like you're going back up into a neighborhood. just keep following it, and watch out for bubba in his pickemup truck.

ian

Gotta give it up to FredRyder....

... who continues doing ride research. this is on one of the GS Gypsy tour routes.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nGxiUiTUFLk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks to all who are doing the prerides and route planning.:bow
I wish I lived in the area and could do more. Looks like it's going to be some great riding that's for sure.:clap

Is there still time to register for the Gypsy Tour? I haven't gotten the final OK for my trip, but I'm hoping to get my hall pass by this weekend. I had planned on coming up mid-week, but this looks like fun. I'm not a trail rider, but would like to learn how to better handle the GS. Thanks!:buds

Is there still time to register for the Gypsy Tour? I haven't gotten the final OK for my trip, but I'm hoping to get my hall pass by this weekend. I had planned on coming up mid-week, but this looks like fun. I'm not a trail rider, but would like to learn how to better handle the GS. Thanks!:buds

this is the perfect opportunity for you. Nice riding on gravel roads, a beautiful tour across the state.

Wednesday morning is the Warmup at the Family Farm, where you can putt-putt around in a wide-open field and get a good feeling about riding off-road.

hope you can make it.

Ian

Many of the roads are hard packed dirt used by locals in cars. The intent is that they would be a nice for big bikes loaded with rally gear. Yes, there maybe some erosion issues, puddles to ride around or through but over all doable for all.

The GS rides are broken down into three skill sets. Beginner offers normal local dirt roads featuring covered bridges, the intermediate ride is gameland roads folks use to access hunting and fishing areas, some of the steep parts may have a few ruts and there maybe standing water in puddles if we had a rain storm. The advanced ride begins as intermediate and progresses into skill areas from stream crossings, gnarly single track to steep roads with heavy loose gravel and then the roads become black in the coal region ......the Black Dakar. Only 25 will be allowed on the advanced route.

The rally offering is designed for the thinking GSer and offers opportunities for all levels. There is training available and nice roads so when you do return home you will be a better rider and have more friends.

GS gathering point?

Will there be a location at the rally for GS riders to meet and depart for some of these rides?

IMG2756-L.jpg

Will there be a location at the rally for GS riders to meet and depart for some of these rides?

Andrew - yes. The infield at the harness racing track is GS Giant land. Most everything will get going from there. ALTrider's ride (which I think you're more that qualified for....) will be leaving from their booth area on Wednesday morning early. (This could possibly get sketchy, since the rally won't be fully set up, so don't get there at 8:30 and start looking for it.)

Also on Wednesday morning will be a ride leaving to go to the Warmup at the Family Farm. That event is for people who want to get their dirt legs, and we're *hoping* that it will be led by RawHyde.

Here is the rally site map.

This whole thing is like herding kittens. :ha

Ian

Andrew - yes. The infield at the harness racing track is GS Giant land. Most everything will get going from there. ALTrider's ride (which I think you're more that qualified for....) will be leaving from their booth area on Wednesday morning early. (This could possibly get sketchy, since the rally won't be fully set up, so don't get there at 8:30 and start looking for it.)

Also on Wednesday morning will be a ride leaving to go to the Warmup at the Family Farm. That event is for people who want to get their dirt legs, and we're *hoping* that it will be led by RawHyde.

Here is the rally site map.

This whole thing is like herding kittens. :ha

Ian

Or looking through muddy goggles following a Bultaco Matador. :whistle

Many of the roads are hard packed dirt used by locals in cars. The intent is that they would be a nice for big bikes loaded with rally gear. Yes, there maybe some erosion issues, puddles to ride around or through but over all doable for all.

The GS rides are broken down into three skill sets. Beginner offers normal local dirt roads featuring covered bridges, the intermediate ride is gameland roads folks use to access hunting and fishing areas, some of the steep parts may have a few ruts and there maybe standing water in puddles if we had a rain storm. The advanced ride begins as intermediate and progresses into skill areas from stream crossings, gnarly single track to steep roads with heavy loose gravel and then the roads become black in the coal region ......the Black Dakar. Only 25 will be allowed on the advanced route.

The rally offering is designed for the thinking GSer and offers opportunities for all levels. There is training available and nice roads so when you do return home you will be a better rider and have more friends.

Can I put in my request to be one of the 25 advanced riders now? I've been told a lot of times that I take the bike places it shouldn't go. You know the old, "You rode that bike through there?" LOL

Can I put in my request to be one of the 25 advanced riders now? I've been told a lot of times that I take the bike places it shouldn't go. You know the old, "You rode that bike through there?" LOL

Oooh...a show of bravado?

Anyone care to challenge this bold statement with one of their own?

:lurk

Back