• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The GS Gypsy Tour

Visian

look out!!!
Registration for the GS Giant event is now closed. But, if you happen to find yourself in Marienville, PA on Sunday night July 17 or Monday the 18th, stop on by. We've got some extra food and beer priced right, and there's some room for camping, too.

Marienville is just about as close as you can get to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania.

Centered in the middle of a big ol' green blob on the map (always a good sign) and conveniently adjoining a vast ORV area in the Allegheny National Forest, you can expect some great riding, good food and a giant amount of good friends.

We're setting up camp on Sunday, July 17 at the Forest Lodge, a campground that also has a few motel rooms available. The rooms are booking fast, so contact the Forest Lodge and make your reservations.

On Monday, leave your bags tent-side and wander to your heart's content. You can ride the trails in the ORV area (permit = $35) with your choice of easy ATV trails or bust-your-butt single track, or you can choose from a number of dual-sport rides we're scouting out. Downloadable GPS will be provided.

Of course, there is food involved, we'll have catered dinners and breakfast as well as free beer. :drink

On Tuesday, load your bike and gird your loins... there's 300 miles of dual-sport riding to do across PA to a campground near the rally site.

Registration is opening real soon and we hope you come. We're limiting this to 100 riders and expect it to fill very quickly, as the whole deal (3 dinners, 2 breakfasts, beer and 3 nights camping) will cost only $100.

Thanks to our sponsors Twisted Throttle and RevZilla for making this all possible. :thumb

See you there!

Gypsy Tour start
N41 32.145 W79 02.658
Google Map link

gs_giant_logo_final_withtext1-L.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice:)

I may be ragged when I arrive, but will be enroute via the Texas Coast and New Orleans, Natzhez Trace and all South stuff, from CA.. I think my friend Joe Hutt is in the mix too:) out if Chicago. Big helper last year, Redmond. I may have enough energy left to lye down and watch ya'll get gritty:). Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear"

I may be ragged when I arrive, but will be enroute via the Texas Coast and New Orleans, Natzhez Trace and all South stuff, from CA.. I think my friend Joe Hutt is in the mix too:) out if Chicago. Big helper last year, Redmond. I may have enough energy left to lye down and watch ya'll get gritty:). Happy Trails ALL, Randy"Polarbear"

we'll keep the light on for ya. :thumb

Joe Hutt is in the house, and he will be helping out in a number of ways.

If you could, Randy, please map out a nice Adventure Detour through Owens Valley (that name sounds familiar.....) for your LA buddies to ride on their way to Bloomsburg.

And if you remember the roads you took through Arkansas, that sounded like a goodun, too.

seeya there (well, in Bloomsburg, we'll be building the track while the GS Gypsies roll)

I know both:)

I'll look into those and revisit my data. Death Valley is a good one too, but July would make it a death trap, but a "valuable point" getter for those most adventurous to go there in July:), on the way East. A "tip" would be GO at sunrise or earlier through DV and its already over a 100 at sunup in Summer. Many Euro tourists are there at that time for a look see at heat:), so english is rare as most of us seem to stay out during Summer DV:). Randy:usa

Marienville is just about as close as you can get to the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania.

Marienville and Forest County is one of PA's hottest population growth areas according to the last census. So.........just like Seattle in the 80's and Montana in the 90's........get your piece of the action, NOW!

Seriously, the population is booming, but it's confined to the new state prison. The roads and trails should be pretty open.......just avoid the hitchhikers.

Seriously, the population is booming, but it's confined to the new state prison. The roads and trails should be pretty open.......just avoid the hitchhikers.

I think there is a Boot Camp near there called Hood in the Woods.

Nice thought!

IF I hear "hounds" running through the woods, I'll know somethings gone real bad:). They still use hounds to hunt escapees? Ya'll have Bears too in them woods? Black Bears are probably everywhere nowadays. Any GS extra special points for the GSA with a "black bear" in the picture? Randy

Not an impossible challenge, given PA's large bear population.

Bokrijder

awesome idea. keep bearspray handy while shooting your pic.

and no chumming the bears with bacon. :eat

I have:)

Some very interesting Canada Bear encounters in my GS1100 past in BC..I tend to "fall off" my GS at the most inopportune moments, bear sightings! I have been lucky, not eaten:). I look forward to PA bears! Growing up in the Shenandoah Virginia, I have much of my youth around these critters as well:). Respect!!! The campout sounds really cool to be involved with, so I'll be around and hopefully not miss out on some of this PA.,GSA fun times. Gotta get through the Louisaina Swamps first, on my way to ya guys:) and the Miss.R. may be interesting...Happy Trails,"Polarbear"Randy

Well I'm officially signed up and paid for the event.:deal
Looking forward to a few day party and ride.:buds:bottle:eat:drink:beer
Any other airheads entering?

don't know what the deal is with this site. Greg St. Clair set it up, I joined but now can't log in. he ran off to s. america... may be back by now.... :dunno

in any case, if you know some good roads in the area, we are doing the research right now!

ian

He did have some problems with the site at the start. It works for me now. I've been up to the area before. I don't remember anything imperticular though. I can look through my mapsource program that came with my Zumo. It gives you roads that aren't paved I think.

I tryed to attach a map I just made on the Map Source program. Hopefully it worked. It's pretty much all off road with an exception or two. Other possible options are cutting through the woods in parts to add or subtract some miles.

Attachments

• GS Gypsy Tour72 mile ride.gdb
    58.3 KB · Views: 26
I tryed to attach a map I just made on the Map Source program. Hopefully it worked. It's pretty much all off road with an exception or two. Other possible options are cutting through the woods in parts to add or subtract some miles.

Hey, thank you very much! :thumb

I am going to pass this along to our volunteers that are scoping out rides in the area.

These are perfect, as they appear to run just outside of the OHV area. People who don't want to go into that area will really enjoy this.

thanks again.

ian

Hey, thank you very much! :thumb

I am going to pass this along to our volunteers that are scoping out rides in the area.

These are perfect, as they appear to run just outside of the OHV area. People who don't want to go into that area will really enjoy this.

thanks again.

ian

No Problem. Glad I can help do something.:beer

Back