Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New BMW Water-Cooled Boxer

Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Let me be the first

Which oil for the water cooled engine?

Rod

and which tires will make the final drive last the longest......
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
    Let me be the first

Which oil for the water cooled engine?

Rod
    Motor Oil

Quote Originally Posted by MCMXCIVRS View Post
    and which tires will make the final drive last the longest......
    Round ones, made from rubber compounds!

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sailorlite View Post
    But I can't say I'm much enthused at the idea of carrying around another radiator and pump, coolant, and water hoses - I hope BMW will do something that gives this motor a little pizzazz. Maybe higher revs, better sound, lighter weight, more HP, etc. For me, lower emissions is not nearly enough. Sorry.
    Well, if there was nothing to gain with fitting a watercooler, they wouldn't do it I guess. Maybe the only way to make the boxers faster and comply to the emission standards, is by making it watercooled.

Mind you, for me it's not interesting at all...my bike is old, but it still goes. And I won't buy anything new, so by the time the watercooled boxer might come my way, we're in 2025 I guess...
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Nickname: Droid
    I agree, the current R12R is the only BMW to catch my eye. But for the flat twin to endure in the tighter realms of emissions and noise constraints BMW has march to the future.

BMW can't sit back like Harley and simply produce the same dated design forever if it expects to stay competitive beyond the market of the BMW loyals.

I have heard from an internal contact at Harley that a "new" engine is coming soon, though it is still an air-cooled v-twin.

macfly

Honestly it's just plain ugly...

They should have spent a little more time designing the motor for not just efficiency, but for the pleasure of the eye of the enthusiast. They could at least have made a nicer job of covering it with tightly spaced finning so it wouldn't look like such a hideous lump.

Regardless of how good it may be this is not something my eye is excited by, or to buy.

Certifiable User Mike_Philippens's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by macfly View Post
    They should have spent a little more time designing the motor for not just efficiency, but for the pleasure of the eye of the enthusiast. They could at least have made a nicer job of covering it with tightly spaced finning so it wouldn't look like such a hideous lump.

Regardless of how good it may be this is not something my eye is excited by, or to buy.
    Well...if they made it to please your eye, I'm sure someone else would complain that it's hideous don't you think?

@Andyvh: The HD Vrod has a watercooled engine. So they can do it...
    -=- if you always see the road ahead of you, it's not worth the trip -=-

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Philippens View Post
    Well...if they made it to please your eye, I'm sure someone else would complain that it's hideous don't you think?

@Andyvh: The HD Vrod has a watercooled engine. So they can do it...
    but they had to get Porche to design it.
    2000 R1100RT opal blue "Millenium Falcon"
    2006 Suzuki C50 Boulevard blue/silver w/ DJ drive mod.
    "Gator"

I'm not too concerned about the appearance of the engine block, the heads and valve covers are what really ends up being the visible parts of the motor, so I'll wait to see how those look before gettiung too worked up and agitated. I am excited to see what they decide to wrap around this new motor to create the next generation of R bikes. Who know's, I may come back to the boxer fold if they prodcue an RT I can stand the look of. Or perhaps an R-GT
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Interesting thanks for the pictures. I too canÔÇÖt wait to see the entire thing, not just raw block castings. The trouble I see is no matter how pleasing or ugly it ends up they will bury it under all sorts of body bits.

You guys crack me up; however.

- The boxer is BMWs #1 selling engine. To keep it in the line up with the new Euro regs it needs to be a WasserBoxer. I may want more grunt out of the box but once again to keep the Grinch's in Brussels happy we probably wont get much of a HP upgrade and sound 
    - Building the same old engine like H-D??? Come on they have 2 singles, boxers, vertical twins, multiple in line fours and now a six. Next year there will be a new engine for the scooter and electric scooters and bikes are on the horizon.
    - H-Ds V-Rod with major design help from Porsche beat out an in house water cooled V 4 for production as the new H-D engine.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Water cooling on a BMW? What a novel idea. Never mind that the K100 was water cooled in 1983. Or the F650 in 1995. Or the F800 in 2007.

Who would imagine that BMW would ever water cool an opposed twin?
    Last edited by PGlaves; 05-03-2011 at 03:40 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Its about time. BMW first built a liquid cooled boxer back in 1992 with identical intake/exhaust orientation. This one just doesn't have the desmodromic valve actuation.

The first link is in german but you can click on the picture to blow it up. There are actually 8 pictures in total. Click on the picture again to go to the next one.

http://www.motosport.ch/tests_technik.html?id=5563

http://thetrxproject.blogspot.com/20...-prototyp.html
    2012 R1200 GS Adventure

Nickname: Droid
    I remember the R1 articles, how it preceded the Oilhead production bike. Cool bike.

Oh yes, Harley can/does produce a damn fine water cooled V-twin. But to most of the HD faithful it is not a real Harley. I'm surprised it has lasted as long as it has given the way HD customers don't buy it, plus it's limited model application. I think the lastest v-rod is friggin ugly, like it was styled by Mattel for a Hot wheels marketing program. But what do I know, I ride Beemers

Porsche tried the 924, 944, and 928...and had to continue with the 911.

H-D tried the VRod...and had to continue with the air cooled twin.

BMW isn't as focused on a single design as Porsche and HD, but this BMW twin is quite ironic: a significant justification for the boxer layout is better air cooling. With more liquid cooling, like this motor, a boxer cylinder layout becomes principally a matter of style and tradition, not engineering.
    Last edited by dbrick; 05-03-2011 at 04:51 AM.
    David Brick
    Santa Cruz CA
    2007 R1200R

macfly
    Exactly, those of us who love the BMW twin love it because of what it is, we are the 'Tradionalists' so to really appeal to us you have to make it look great. I always though Suzuki did a great job of the engine fins of the their big fours, if I'd been in charge of this project I'd have got some nice tight fins cast into the cylinders and heads, and painted the whole thing black. It didn't have to look like a Fiat 500 motor.

No longer a member here
    Quote Originally Posted by dbrick View Post
    Porsche tried the 924, 944, and 928...and had to continue with the 911.

H-D tried the VRod...and had to continue with the air cooled twin.

Not that I want to participate in this discussion, but has it escaped your attention that the 911 has been water-cooled for quite some time now? For reference, look at the company who arguably makes the best motorcycle engines in the world - Honda.
    Count the air-cooled versions they offer.