• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Supplemental LED Brake Light 2011 R1200RT

rghensley

I installed the BMW LED Supplemental Brake Light on my 2011 R1200RT this weekend. I ordered the light from a dealer and ordered the model specific wiring harness. As reported in many threads, there are no installation directions that come with either the brake light or the harness. Based on reading several threads and after scratching my head for a while, I think I figured it out for my bike. The biggest question I had was whether or not I had to drill holes in the rear fender. I decided that it was necessary to expand one hole in the lower fender (beneath the license plate where the wire in the new brake light lines up exactly over an existing hole) and to drill a new hole in a "well" in the upper part of the fender (in the back corner under the passenger seat) that looked to me like the intended spot to drill a new hole in order to route the wire to the space under the seat (the well is best seen from the underside of the fender by laying on your back and looking up at the underside of the fender; this wells seems to provide weather protection to the area under the seat since the well is slanted and I also filled the well with 3M putty after I routed the wire). Unlike some of the previous installations, I did not have to remove any wire insulation from any of the existing wiring on the bike and I did not have to soldier anything. Instead, the wiring harness "piggybacks" (two connectors) on the connector that goes to the passenger power plug and the third connector is a male/female spade that hooks to the tail light wire (right next to the brake light bulb) and the existing tail light wire then connects to the new spade. Once I got the guts to drill the new hole, the actual wiring was simple. This photo shows where the spade on the new harness connects at the brake light bulb.

Attachments

• photo1.jpg
    photo1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,291
R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light -- Hole in Rear Fender

This is the hole I drilled in the upper part of the rear plastic fender. The hole has to be about 5/8 for the harness to fit through. This is a photo from beneath the bike (I'm lying on the ground) looking up. I wrapped the new wiring harness with electrical tape to add more protection and after routing the wire through the new hole, I filled the hole with 3M putty (not shown).

Attachments

• photo5.jpg
    photo5.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 1,275
R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light -- Wire route

This photo shows the tail light dangling. The taillight has two phillips screws (one on the lift signal and one on the right signal) that once removed allow the entire taillight to drop free. I was surprised that only two phillips screws hold the tail light in place. The male/female spade connector on the new wiring harness attaches to the existing light bulb spade and the wire feeds through the tail light opening to the area beneath the rear passenger seat (where the other two connectors of the new harness connect to the passenger power plug supply).

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 1,266

This photo shows the hole I expanded in order to route the wire attached to the new LED light through the rear fender. After passing the wire through the fender, the LED light then connects to the new wiring harness. I wrapped the wires with several layers of electric tape to add protection. The part of this installation that I don't like is that the wire is under the fender and although it cannot be seen, is still relatively exposed. That's why I wrapped the wire with electric tape.

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,251

This photo shows the area under the passenger seat in which the wiring harness passes through to go from under the fender to the area under the passenger so so that the remaining three connectors can be attached (two connect to the passenger power port and the third male/female spade goes to the tail light bulb).

Attachments

• photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 1,259
R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light -- Final Product

I secured the harness in a couple of places with cable ties and this photo shows the final product. As advertised, the LED comes on when the regular tail light comes on, and when the brakes are applied, the LED flashes several times very quickly before becoming even brighter to show the brakes are applied. The LED is VERY, VERY bright when the brakes are applied.

Attachments

• photo6.jpg
    photo6.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,272
R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light

So to clarify the order I followed on the BMW LED install for my 2011 RT1200RT:

(1) Remove the side and top cases
(2) Remove the seats
(3) Remove the license plate (4 screws)
(4) Remove the tail light by removing the two screws on the back side (black part) of the tail light
(5) Line up the LED light with the license plate bracket. Note the hole in the fender that the LED wires match and drill to enlarge the hole in the fender. I used a 5/8 bit. I protected the tire with a small board in case of a quick push through with the drill.
(6) I wrapped some electrical tape over the LED wires as the individual wires were exposed where they entered the LED light housing.
(7) Looking up from the ground, find the raised well on the underside of the fender. I drilled through this well as I could find no other way to route the wire and I decided that if the light doesn't work, this location is the best place to patch/fill the hole. In other words, the install is ALMOST reversible.
(8) Install the LED light by putting its wire through the expanded hole and attaching the bracket with the four screws (under the license plate).
(9) Plug the LED light into the new model/year specific harness. One end of the harness has two plugs and the male/female spade and the other end fits the LED light. I wrapped the connector with electrical tape since the connection is under the fender. I wrapped electrical tape over the harness where it passed through the hole in the upper fender to protect the wires from vibration damage.
(10) Run the three connectors on the other end of the harness through the new hole in the upper fender. I used a cable tie to secure the harness to the frame on top of the fender (inside the area beneath the passenger seat) and pulled the harness tight through the hole before securing.
(11) Unplug the connector to the passenger accessory port. The two connectors on the LED harness plug into the respective now-vacant plugs for the accessory port.
(12) Route the male/female spade for the LED harness back through the taillight opening. Remove the spade from blue wire on one of the tail light bulbs (see photo) and attach the harness spade to the tail light. The tail light wire then attaches to the open spade on the harness. This connection is inside the light so it didn't need any further weather sealing.
(13) I secured the LED harness under the area where the seat goes with another cable tie to keep it out of the way of the seat. I then used some 3M putty to fill the hole through the upper fender (I used putty on the top side to protect the wire from vibration stress and then crawled underneath the bike and filled the well from below with putty).

So to clarify the order I followed on the BMW LED install for my 2011 RT1200RT:

(1) Remove the side and top cases
(2) Remove the seats
(3) Remove the license plate (4 screws)
(4) Remove the tail light by removing the two screws on the back side (black part) of the tail light
(5) Line up the LED light with the license plate bracket. Note the hole in the fender that the LED wires match and drill to enlarge the hole in the fender. I used a 5/8 bit. I protected the tire with a small board in case of a quick push through with the drill.
(6) I wrapped some electrical tape over the LED wires as the individual wires were exposed where they entered the LED light housing.
(7) Looking up from the ground, find the raised well on the underside of the fender. I drilled through this well as I could find no other way to route the wire and I decided that if the light doesn't work, this location is the best place to patch/fill the hole. In other words, the install is ALMOST reversible.
(8) Install the LED light by putting its wire through the expanded hole and attaching the bracket with the four screws (under the license plate).
(9) Plug the LED light into the new model/year specific harness. One end of the harness has two plugs and the male/female spade and the other end fits the LED light. I wrapped the connector with electrical tape since the connection is under the fender. I wrapped electrical tape over the harness where it passed through the hole in the upper fender to protect the wires from vibration damage.
(10) Run the three connectors on the other end of the harness through the new hole in the upper fender. I used a cable tie to secure the harness to the frame on top of the fender (inside the area beneath the passenger seat) and pulled the harness tight through the hole before securing.
(11) Unplug the connector to the passenger accessory port. The two connectors on the LED harness plug into the respective now-vacant plugs for the accessory port.
(12) Route the male/female spade for the LED harness back through the taillight opening. Remove the spade from blue wire on one of the tail light bulbs (see photo) and attach the harness spade to the tail light. The tail light wire then attaches to the open spade on the harness. This connection is inside the light so it didn't need any further weather sealing.
(13) I secured the LED harness under the area where the seat goes with another cable tie to keep it out of the way of the seat. I then used some 3M putty to fill the hole through the upper fender (I used putty on the top side to protect the wire from vibration stress and then crawled underneath the bike and filled the well from below with putty).

Nice work, I may pick one of these up myself. Is there model specific lights or harness?

You probably didn't need to drill any holes but I wouldn't worry about it.

The outside fender can be accessed through the opening just above the keylock.

The extra lighting does seems to help but still keep an eye on your six.

Looks nice. Too bad BMW couldn't come up with some instructions.

Jerry Skene has an alternative design (see: http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/) for $125 with lots of instruction and support. I've had them on my RT for a couple of years (both front and back).

DirtMerchant: The LED light is a BMW part that fits several bikes. The harness is the part that is model/year specific. I ordered from A&S online and when you order the light they have a drop down menu that has harness options.

Motorwerk: I just went and searched for an opening to the fender above the key lock and the 2011 R1200RT does not appear to have an opening in that location. I might be missing the obvious (wouldn't be the first time). It may be different than your 2007 bike.

Motorwerk: I just went and searched for an opening to the fender above the key lock and the 2011 R1200RT does not appear to have an opening in that location. I might be missing the obvious (wouldn't be the first time). It may be different than your 2007 bike.

The differences may be possible. If I look into the area around the keylock I can see into the rear tire. The bike is currently torn apart for shock replacement so I can shoot a pic if you like. It's probably best they closed it off.

You probably didn't need to drill any holes but I wouldn't worry about it.

The outside fender can be accessed through the opening just above the keylock.

The extra lighting does seems to help but still keep an eye on your six.

Mine was installed without drilling. . You can sneak the wire through where the rear body work meets the top of the fender along the side behind the pannier and then run it back Mine is run back from there behind the angle iron that hold the side reflector adjacent to the license plate frame and under the plate.

R1200RT LED Supplemental Brake Light -- Final Product

For the sake of trying to accurately document the installation of the BMW Supplemental Brake Light on a 2011 R1200RT, I asked the guys as A&S Cycles about the proper way to route the wire harness in order to not drill a hole through the underside of the plastic fender (to gain access under the seat). They responded by email to "come up around the left side of the license plate bracket behind the panel and there will be a gap for the wire there." At least two other posts to my thread (Atomicman and Motorwerk) indicated that they installed the harness without drilling in the underside of the fender by snaking the wire "where the rear body work meets the top of the fender." I spent some time with a flashlight and there is a small gap in the fender (the gap can only be seen from under the bike). So, for the sake of trying to properly document the install, it certainly looks like the wire harness can be snaked between the two plastic fender parts. I'm not sure whether or not the wire would be subjected to crimping if snaked between two fender parts, so I decided to stick with my install as it turned out pretty clean and it's already done. However, the "correct" way does appear to be snaking the wire between the two fender parts. My thanks to Atomicman, Motorwerk, and the guys at A&S Cycles in helping me describe the correct install.

Last edited:
MIne was run between the side bodywork and the fender behind the left pannier then behind the license plate, no holes drilled. Not remotely noticeable, although my bike is Black Sapphire metallic, but the Fender is black on all bikes!

Once my BMW dealer gave me the correct harness, I too found the install easy. The "early harness" has an even larger connector so I routed mine without drilling between the fender and bodywork also. It is too bad that they use such large connection.... but oh well, its easy and it works!

Be aware that this BMW light IS NOT waterproof as supplied. The fastest way to kill it is to wash the tail with excesively soapy water. When you turn the bike on, residual water in the cracks around the light will wick right into the lamp and short the circuit board which is stupidly placed at the bottom of the lamp (rather than at the rear or upper part which would improve its chances of surviving water penetration).

Here's how you waterproof it.
1) Pull the two screws that hold the lamp into the bracket and take it apart.

2) When you slide the red lens cover off the clear lamp body you will see a rubber O ring stretched around the clear lamp- remove it.

3) The following locations need to be sealed
a) The junction of the black plastic housing base and the clear lamp cover. This seam is held only by a plastic adhesive and will leak. I waterproofed mine with 2 part clear epoxy fishing road varnish available from any rod making supplies place.
b) There are two "vent" holes in the back of the lamp housing where it meets the flat rubber gasket for the bracket. I filled these with a 2 part epoxy cement- no venting is actually needed and the flat rubber will not prevent water from being sucked into these holes.

Either or both of the above can suck in water. If you see water inside the lamp and it still works, you may be able to save it before the board inside fries by drilling 2 small holes in the clear plastic, shaking out as much water as possible and then drying it in a 140-150 degree environment for a day or two- this has worked for me- then fill the drilled holes with epoxy. Obviously if you overheat it while drying you will fry the board anyway so if its inthe year warranty you myt prefer to simply exchange it for a new one.

The lamp works but is a cheaply made Chinese part sold with a big markup. It is yet another example of poor electrical work, the bane of the German automotive industry and the reason its vehicles quality is rated below Asian and American stuff.

Be glad this lamp isn't required to operate the bike- its even less waterproof than the fpc design. It does have the usual 2 year parts warranty, however.

First, let me thank Rghensley for the terrific instructions. Your pics made it much easier to install.

So, in case anyone is a little colorblind, like me, the blue wire on the taillight is located on the center bulbs. Not the dark blueish wire on the outside bulbs. Took a little head scratching for me to figure out why my install did not work.

I did NOT drill any holes for the cable run. I was hoping that the cable would be a little more hidden. I ran the cable from the top left of the license plate, along the left side, and under the bodywork. If anyone found a better way, let me know.

Back