• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Paul/Voni Alaska?

TX is BIG! Our adobe if further away from Dallas than we were when we lived in Kansas! Haven't spent any time on the coast. Yet. So you'll have to tell us what's to watch out for ;)

Enjoy! Today was our first warm day in ages. Sunshine and 70 in Havre, MT.

Voni
sMiling

We are in Hyder. The ride from Dease Lake was in the rain the entire way with temps generally in the mid-40s; about what you should inspect in coastal BC. Saw about a dozen black bears along the way and some were unwilling to move out of the way.

Caroline sends her best and says she needs to see you and you need to get your posterior to Hyder. She has a new shop about an 1/8th mile and across the street from her old location. She also wants to tell you about her recent participation in a wet t-shirt contest.

We are at the Grandview and Dee also sends her best and is excited at the prospect of seeing you again soon.

Prince George tomorrow.

Funny temps. this year:)

You wanna hear funny! Central Cal is getting SNOW and rains and only 65 for highs this week!!! JUNE is normally 85-100 out for here. Tioga Pass through Yosemite will open "way late" into July, as 700+ inches of white fell there this year and skiing at many resorts are skiing 'till late into July. Wow! Snow in June here is not way out of line, but lots of snow IS and its happening this last two days above 7000' and our region, that covers a lot of territory:). Our favorite pass rides are all over 9000'...Paul/Voni coming this way, CA should/could look much like your beloved Alaska riding this year:), if you venture into the Sierra's... Texas in my near future:) Randy

sTrange! weather!

Today is the first day we've stuck to our riding plan. We've had to change every other day due to weather!

But today! made it all worthwhile.

Gorgeous mountains, overflowing streams, curves and that way too big and blue Montana sky with huge fluffy clouds.

Why I ride!

And then the chain fell off Paul's bike. . .

Voni
sMiling

Chain off, wow!

Don't hear that everyday and its a known to happen phenom, for all us long timers with a few chains in our past and present:). More please; tell us how that went and just where the chain ended up? Were you following our watching as Paul just got smaller in your mirror? I hope the chain just threw out the back, lying in wait for its owner to retrieve. Those pesky master links can be on Pauls mind about now, if he uses them! Best regards on that and enjoy Montana, one great state indeed. CA Mountains promise to keep you smiling too, if/when you make this area again, as the high country is exceptionally white this year, rivers, waterfalls flowing at Max:). Randy

Seems to me he bought a new one a while back!

He had a feeling!

I am not stranded beside the road between Browning and East Glacier, Montana because I had a spare chain with me. I had a spare chain with me because Voni asked me if I had a spare master link for my chain and I didn't so I bought a spare chain - two days before the $%^&* chain fell off my bike. The chain was new when I bought the bike and I had about 5K miles on it. We had stopped in Sturgis, SD because my face shield broke and I needed a new one. Standing at the counter Voni asked if I had a master link. I didn't so bought a whole spare chain since we are headed to Hyder. And less than 48 hours later the rascal spit it out onto the road.

Voni was behind me. She went back and got the chain while I started unloading stuff to get the new chain installed. It fractured the plastic countershaft cover a bit but it is still semi-usable. It also cut a wire to a sensor which I fixed.

My '97 Funduro spit one chain in 50K miles, and I replaced that with a chain with rivet type master link. I have now safety wired the clip on the chain/link I just put on, and stopped and bought two spare master links, so it ought to stay put for a while.

Last edited:
Voni, your great savior:)

Behind all us great guys is a greater woman:). Thanks for the update Paul on chain life on the road. I've been so fortunate in all my years to never lose a master link and throw chains, but know they can be helpful and an enemy too. Carrying an extra chain is added weight in the baggage area, but a valuable item when in need! Thanks Voni for keeping Paul in action, with your reminders:). Randy:thumb:usa

Hope your travels this week take you thru Jasper Park. Although BC is damp and chilly at the moment, the ride thru Jasper and Kooteney Parks today was awe inspiring. We've met several riders headed to Hyder; should be a good gathering.

Hope your travels this week take you thru Jasper Park. Although BC is damp and chilly at the moment, the ride thru Jasper and Kooteney Parks today was awe inspiring. We've met several riders headed to Hyder; should be a good gathering.

We're in Prince George. It was snowing in Jasper the day we'd planned to go that way.

Hyder, tomorrow.

And thanks, Randy.

Voni
sMiling

Back