• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Oh no, another windscreen thread

ultracyclist

I know that we all have our favorite windscreens/farings.

While visiting with another BMWMOA member, my friend made the comment that his bike behaves so much better without the BMW factory touring shield on his R1100RL.

That started a conversation about aerodynamics which is something that I know very little about.

Does anyone know of a site that shows the air flows of different screens ala the current Xerox commercial which uses smoke blowing over and around a Ducati at just under the speed of light?

Come to think about it, doesn't the head and body of the rider affect the overall flow?

Any ultra-lite or biplane pilots out there?:laugh

I know a little bit about aerodynamics, but not enough to answer your questions.

Yesterday, I installed a CalSci screen on my R1200RT and was pleasantly surprised to find that the hole in the lower middle actually works! You can feel the wind come into the hole, but it doesn't hit your body. Rather, it flows up the inside of the screen and reconnects with the airflow on the outside. Then both airflows project several inches above the height of the screen to go over the helmet. Pretty cool stuff.

I suspect the hole also lowers frontal pressure on the screen so that stronger mounts may not be necessary.

Perhaps some of our aero engineers can explain the effect?

Lee

Back