• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ever get stuck?

Polarbear

Polarbear
I got stuck sooooo badly once, riding all alone and late in the day far from nowhere! Had to build a bridge out to my bike, using small fallen cedar trees the power company had cleared along the power line trail. What appeared a puddle, a long puddle turned out to be a bottomless mud hole and the bike sank to the seat. I managed inch by inch to pull the bike free, but it nearly killed me in effort. I learned that day to scope out an unknown water hazard after that. The bike, a 250 motocross Yamaha, thank ggodness not my current GSA1200 or I would still be there! A good lesson however, as I walk these hazards today, before I ride through them:). Anybody else been there, done that. Found myself in a similar Mojave desert offroad adventure on the GSA1200 with DS tires, not knobbies!!! Another near death, much older age lesson. This is a much more recent lesson near Kelso,CA., mid Mojave Desert. DON'T go there if your value your life, as the sand is DEEP and the loaded touring GSA is not a sand buggy. Trust me on this....Randy:usa

You mean like when I was riding the RS alone on Berryessa-Knoxville Road, north of the lake? The road has a half-dozen concrete swales, where it's crossed by a creek. The swales get green and slippery. I rode through slowly, thinking I wouldn't spray gunky water up onto the bike. The lack of momentum and likely wiggle of the throttle caused the rear end to step out, and there we were on the ground, in the middle of a paved road. A paved road covered with green moss. That is, a really slippery paved road.

I know how to pick up a bike without hurting myself, but doing so requires some pushing; that requires traction between your boots and the road. There was no traction, and I couldn't get it up.

Well, obviously I did, after awhile. But it was not easy.

Yes.

May%2003%2008-2.jpg

I'm pretty wary of mud now, but once in a while I forget and get myself in a mess.

I took a nasty fall on Mission Ridge climbing a steep hill.

I was pinned under the bike facing downhill in an awkward position with a broken foot and leg.

It took me some time to extract myself and then I had to ride out for several hours.

It could have turned out much worse.

Riding solo has it's risks.

Backroad ADV

"A man has got to know his limitations".
Still riding solo.

Good ole mud:)

Yep, friends count for something when this happens. The mossy concrete was sad for the fairing, I bet and ego:(. I still go solo a lot too and always say to myself, "CAN I" get out alone!!! Its been a good life so far, with some close calls. The sand in the Mojave is about as DEEP as that mud hole, go figure:( and a GSA twin is NOT the right bike for your mud pictures or the desert deep sands. Great pics, all. The yellow F650 even had knobbies and I know the feeling, Mr.Canada on a muddy trail:). Great stories come from adventure...Randy:dance

Oh yeaaaaah. That pic in post 5 reminded me of my moment in hell. I was alone up in the Adorandak Park in NY state. I detoured off the main highway 30 riding my klr650 onto a dirt road which turned into a recently active logging road that dropped 30 feet or so and continued into the woods. I came to several spots where water was running down the rocky wheel tracks and soon found myself in a low meadow kind of place. Not thinking much of it I continued until, like you, I found myself almost seat deep in mud, the bike tips over and I'm now practically under it. Man, talk about a feeling of defeat and being near powerless, I knew I may not be getting out that day. Well, like you I did but the effort was enormous and it was hot and humid. Also the same as you, I always check the road ahead and when in doubt, turn back or proceed with extreme prejudice.

I'm not alone;

Solo adventurism is a lot of fun, BUT can become life threatening if our minds don't interact quickly enough as we're having Sooooo much fun, we get into the darndest circumstances:). Kind a figured others must have my disease! Becoming part of the food chain, deep in the woods, as that Cougar way above watches this stupid biker get deeper and deeper stuck:),hmmmmm. Reminds me of that RT Rider on the Haul Road,AK a while back falling from his bike as the WOLF watched and became interested in this guy for dinner! Wonder what "beemer dude" taste like? Happy Trails, Randy:scratch:usa

i got my R80G/SPD+ cross-rutted in a snotty red clay 2-track road, right in the middle of a switchback, in the rain.

the stupid bike fell on me, and of course i was on the downhill side. fortunately i was getting neither crushed or burned, but my blankity-blank foot was stuck between the rear wheel, the monolever and the dirt.

fortunately, the gas tank was not leaking because i couldn't reach it. :ha

i could reach my toolkit, though, and got out the screwdriver to dug myself out.

it seemed like it took an hour, but adrenaline was kicking in....

ian

My camera:(

Nice pics above, but I have never been of mind to take my pictures as i get into these deep problems! Sad, I know and I should take more pics of my experiences in trouble, just I am so terribly worn out after a bout with mother nature:) and so very happy to be back on top of the bike riding it again. Send more pics, those that did the pic thing, as these make great eye candy for us adventurers:).Randy:thumb

I guess I had;

It coming! And this was a controlled event:)LOL. My bike suffered little, my ego worse...Maybe I can repay the favor, Ian:) Randy:usa

Nice ROB:)

Is that what the woods look like back there? I don't run knobbies either, but have considerable experience getting stuck, a veteran. Hope to see ya at the pre rally GS Ride before Bloomsburg, in the National Forest back there. Murielville, PA is it?(I think) GS Camp night one:). 100 of us like minded GS'ers will probably have tales to tell afterwards:). IAN seems to think so... Randy:usa

Is that what the woods look like back there? I don't run knobbies either, but have considerable experience getting stuck, a veteran. Hope to see ya at the pre rally GS Ride before Bloomsburg, in the National Forest back there. Murielville, PA is it?(I think) GS Camp night one:). 100 of us like minded GS'ers will probably have tales to tell afterwards:). IAN seems to think so... Randy:usa

Marienville, PA

N41 32.145 W79 02.658

:burnout

^^^ this is the perfect GS Giant shot! ^^^​

you know, i searched high and low for a good shot of GS riding back east... I needed good images for the GS Giant ads.

Couldn't find a damned thing, (well, there was one blurry shot with some portajohns in the background... :ha ) so I went with some Jon Beck shots.

:wave hi Rob!

Hey Randy,

I'm bring the Adv Hack and my son Corbett will be on his R650GSD and we need to be there early for Camp Gears.

Ian, back at ya. I like porta-pottes I'm one of the co-chairs of the 123 (Sanitation) committee at the rally.

Here's another for ya.

5394164_3whDp-L.jpg

NICE Air, Rob:)

Porta Pot Chair guy too! How about those slamming doors around 2 or 3AM as we sleep:)... Maybe some silencers for them Porta Potty doors, I Laugh:). It'll be good see'in all of ya. Randy

Back