Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pinlock needs RainX ? Fog proof?

Not Really As Effective - But Almost

The shield exchange on the Arai Profile (LRS)is a snap once you get the hang of it. There are some good vids on youtube that can help with the learning process. Still, just like good riding techniques, nothing beats a little practice. Regarding the effectiveness of the dark Arai compared to the PinLock, I have to disagree with rockbottom. The PinLock is an insert, it does not, at least mine don't, cover the entire interior area of the shield. There is a 'boarder' between the outer edge of the PinLock and the rest of the shield that is the same color as the regular shield. If using a clear Arai outer with a colored PinLock, there will be an outer ring of clear. Now, is it noticeable? Yep. Do you get used to it? Yep. Will there be occasions when the sun might peak through? Yep. Will I ever not use a PinLock? Never.
    Gear Up and Ride Safe
    Jim Rogers
    2010 R12GSA aka Heidi
    Yorktown, Va

Yankee Air Pirate
    C3 pinlock can fog.... I had it happen going from a 70 degree house to a 35 degree outside air temp. But with this helmet the fix is very easy... push the front vent open, and ride more than 20 miles an hour... it will defog instantly. once the shield get the same temp as the outside, then the pinlock will do its thing and no fog.

6 months on my C3, daily riding, no need to change pinlock or visor

Quote Originally Posted by rockbottom View Post
    Heck, I'd pop down to Gettysburg and show you, but I have to drive to Connecticut tomorrow.
    Thanks for the offer. I'm learning alot here and will learn more on Thur. Will be in Gettysburg till Sun. We go with the dogs every spring for Greyhounds in Gettysburg. Looking forward to getting away!
    Skip
    '82 R100
    '05 Stella

I have an HJC and recently bought a breath box and a chin curtain that were both specific to my model helmet. Less than $15 for both. The breath box can be taken in and out easily. The chin curtain is hard to get in, so I'm not planning to take it out. It mainly cuts down on wind noise. The breath box does two things, keeps you visor from fogging up and keeps your face warm in cold weather. I few week ago I took my first highway ride of the season and it really did the trick. I have the full Gerbing gear, so on a cold weather ride the only thing that got cold was my face. The breath box solved that.

The only time I have had a fogging issue with my helmet is when it is raining and I am stopped at a stop light. So, I will be carrying the breath box to use in the summer on rainy days. In the spring and fall (and winter, since I ride all year) I will probably just leave the breath box in all the time.
    Glenn
    2003 F650GS Dakar

roughwaterjohn
    I have a pinlock on my Shoei and it never fogs up, but my sunglasses do occasionally. As mentioned, if it's warmer inside the helmet than outside, it's likely to fog. I have similar problems with diving masks when scuba diving. They make an anti-fog solution that eliminates the fogging on dive masks, but what it's really doing is cleaning the lens of dust and microscopic debris.

It's the dirt and dust that typically makes it fog up. Simply wiping with a cloth won't do it. If my sunglasses start to fog up on a ride (or if I know I'm going on a long ride), I'll wash the lens with soapy water and dry them. No more fogging for days or weeks, until they start getting dirty again. I'm not talking about smudges, but the lenses can be coated in a thin layer of debris, and still look clear when they're on.

I have an Arai Profile as well. It has a "breath deflector" piece in it. Also, they say to open the chin vent 1/2 way to not fog. OK, it works just OK... DOes the little rubber breath deflector really help? Seems not to...

Was thinking of getting a pin lock for it, but also was thinking of getting a tinted shield. I hate to get a tinted shield, a pinlock clear & a pinlock tinted... Too much coin... I miss the flip down visor on my EXO1000, but not the sore spot on the front of my head...
    John.

Bought an Arai RX-Q today and will have next week. Went with the extra shield not the pinlock. I think they said if you open the chin vent all the way open it de-fogs the shield. But I could be wrong. Thought I needed an XL but was fitted for a L with different cheek pads. Quite an experience in the fitting process. Can't wait to get it and go for a ride, that's if it ever quits raining. I can always buy a pinlock later if need be.
    Skip
    '82 R100
    '05 Stella