• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

battery voltage monitor

f14rio

anybody here got one of these?
BB-SBM12-PS_lrg.jpg

http://www.powerwerx.com/batteries-...ttery-bug-battery-monitor-motorcycle-atv.html
it was installed in my r1200r when the last battery died. put in a new fully charged battery and after the first start up it read 65%. in the vendor's video the same value was displayed during a demonstration but the commentator did not comment on it.
i would think a new battery should have a value closer to 100%
any inputs appreciated.
thx

I installed this on my 95 R1100R this weekend and on initial hook-up it did much the same as you observed. Problem solved by dis-connecting and reconnecting the negative lead. Their literature recommends this if it return inappropriate readings.
regards,
Mark

thanks i think i'll just put an in line fuse on the 12vdc wire near the battery.

should be easy enough.
or maybe just an in line connector.

I have a Battery Bug installed on my Dakar. I put it on when my battery was about a year old and it read around 50%. Since the battery before that one failed after 9 months, I wasn't too surprised about the reading. One thing I figured out about the Battery Bug after I installed it the first time directly to the battery is that the FAQ on their web site consistently advises that you disconnect the Battery Bug and reconnect it whenever you get a low reading to verify that your battery is really failing. The Bug retains the lowest reading since the last time it was powered on.

After reading about this, I retro-fitted a weather-proof spade connector on the ground side of the Battery Bug. The connector is in a place I can reach when I am sitting on the bike. If I get a low reading, I can disconnect the Battery Bug, wait 30 seconds and reconnect it.

The main reason I bought the Battery Bug was because I have a full set of Gerbing gear and I need to monitor my battery voltage. The Battery Bug has a great feature specifically for heated gear that sounds an audible alarm and flashes an icon on the display whenever the voltage drops below 12 volts for more than 30 seconds. This makes the Battery Bug a volt meter you don't need to keep looking at.

If it also predicts a battery failure before it happens, at they manufacturer claims, so much the better.

Back