• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Jamaica!

rockers

Has anyone rented motorcycles/mopeds in Jamaica? Any tips or suggestion would be helpful! Will be staying near Negril on the far end of the island. May just want a 1 or 2 day ride away from the crowds.

please e-mail rockers@centurytel.net

Never rode there, but did travel away from the beaten path for a week a few years ago. First they do drive on the left, and it can be a little scary on occasion, as they are a little lax on skill sometimes. The roads away from the shore are rough!

That said there is some wonderful areas in the interior of the island, off the tourist path. The scenery can be fantastic, and as long as you stay out of Kingston, pretty safe, if you just use your head.

Cannot answer the scoot/bike question but can attest to driving there and it is a hoot! Horns blaring, tires sqealing, traffic circle parties and excitement to spare. Roads are narrow and twisty, scenery is tops, people mostly very friendly, with a few that don't seem to like gringos for whatever reason. Red stripe, Cheetos & jerk meat to enjoy. I would just rent a car & save the bike stuff for home.

Take a tour bus

Back in 1994 while in a tour bus along the northern coast, I witnessed several cage drivers pass on blind corners. It seemed either every driver was living only for the day with no thought for tomorrow. My new wife and I both agreed it would be a deathwish to ride a motorcycle in Jamaica.

used to be dangerous-might still be

around 1992 we visited a cousin that had a place in Negril, had a Honda 750 setting on the porch to use if we wanted.

He said, don't go any farther than point x in either direction, not safe. We took his word for it.

He owns the day charter catamarans at Hedonism and other resorts and has been around there since the 70s, so figured he new what he was talking about.

Being the adventurous type we went about a block past point x, when the resort look turned to jungle we turned around.

Back in 1994 while in a tour bus along the northern coast, I witnessed several cage drivers pass on blind corners. It seemed either every driver was living only for the day with no thought for tomorrow. My new wife and I both agreed it would be a deathwish to ride a motorcycle in Jamaica.
I like the place and would rent a "car" again there, just not a place for casual driving. Interesting town markets and the out in the country is a different world then the tourist traps. Just like Mexico & other vacation destinations in the respect that there is a "real Jamaica" and a touristy one too. If you go, get away from your "enclave" and see the real Jamaica! Rent a cheap dented car. In Mexico I rent Blueway which are high mileage Budget rental cars under another brand-look for something similar there.

Back