• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel Advice

exgman

I'm heading back to Boston and am considering a route using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel. Any advice from anyone about hazards, problems, etc.?

TIA - John Gamel

I took that road in a cage in a snowstorm 40 years ago -- would not recommend it under those conditions. Other than that, wind is prolly the only potential problem.

summer traffic bad

Summer traffic through the Delmarva, especially Fridays/weekends is bad. Midweek and off-season is probably quite a bit better.

I went across it last summer. There were no issues, and I appreciated the drop in temperature on a very hot day.

Harry

Thanks for all for the replies. I made the trip north today from Virginia Beach across the bridge-tunnel complex. No wind over the road, so it was a calm, over-the-ocean ride for 20 miles. Two tunnels were each one mile in length and both lanes (north and south) share these tunnels. All drivers were very polite and kept very good lane & speed discipline.

When I left VA Beach, my RT's ambient temperature readout said 86F. Inside the tunnels it dropped to 77F, and as I approached the northern end of the bridge, it was down to 71F. Once on land, it was back in the eighties again. Nice to be cool for a while, anyway.

I imagine it might be more crowded in the summer, but on April 25, 2011 at Noon...all was good!:thumb

I misspent my youth in Virginia Beach and lived there when the bridge was built. In the early years they would hire people (teenagers primarily) to stand along the catwalks in the tunnels so people would not panic. Guess the thought was that seeing another human would cause people to forget they were under water. I never did it myself, but had a friend who did it one summer. He said they had to spell people every hour or so because they would become ill from the fumes. Of course many of them used the break to have a cigarette. Different times indeed.

Just ride it. NO worries, even with wind unless a front is moving thru. Have done it 7 or the last 8 years in our truck with slide-in camper attached. No problems.

Just ride it. NO worries, even with wind unless a front is moving thru. Have done it 7 or the last 8 years in our truck with slide-in camper attached. No problems.

Watch for the Bridge/Tunnel police at the emergency turn offs..that's their favorite places to hide when running RADAR

Back