• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

newbie question re rally

lorazepam said:
Guess I should mention that the '69 XLCH I owned cured me from ever owning another Harley. that POS would leak oil no matter what I did, including having the covers machined to cure it. It also ran like crap, and I could never get it to run right. On the other hand, the 45 cuin I rode for a couple years would always start, and ran like a top all the way to 70 mph, which was its top speed.

Well you can't compare a 69 sporty to anything that Harley has today. Thats like comparing a model T to todays Ford.

Anyway I will find out about the quality of the BMW. Some have asked why I went to the BMW. I am retired, in pretty good physical condition and I like to see as much of the USA and Canada as I can in as short a time as possible. My last Harley I rode long hours cruising at 75 to 85 mph and I didn't want to do that to this new Harley. Since I heard that BMW will run all day at 80 mph I thought I would give it a try. We'll see.

My RRS has a sweet spot for riding at around 80 or so, and it is effortless to make an all day ride at that speed. I cant imagine touring on anything else.

I understand that the new Harleys are so much better than the AMF pos that were churned out, competition was a good thing for Harley. It made them get off their butts and make a decent product.

Welcome

Welcome to you "screamin eagle", I live in Greensburg, and go thru P.U. all the time on my runs up to the mountains. Look for the green rockster blowin by, but look quick. Hope to meet ya one of these days, in the meantime, when you get to the rally, look for the bright red 71 VW Camper in the quiet campground, it will be the wife and myself, and this is our 1st National rally also. :groovy :groovy

Great way to meet people

Howdy Screamin'...

One the things that I did at my first rally to meet people was to volunteer. You can contact any of the chairpeople on the list located at http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally/rally05/chairs.htm. You can also contact Bob Malehorn who is the volunteer coordinator.

Of course if you wanted to volunteer to help out with the Charging Station, that would be great also. Did I mention I was the chairman of that? :thumb

Great way to meet people

Screamin' Eagle,

My first rally (of any kind) was when I went to the "National" (back then it was only "national" and not yet "international") in 1977.

Everything changed for me after that weekend.

Look for my blue K1100LT next to another "dry" tent and say "hi!"

Don Hamblin
Madison, AL
'93 K1100LT :thumb

screamin eagle said:
Probably a stupid question but, I have been riding Harleys all my life and I just purchased this RT two weeks ago and I don't know anything about the BMW people. So my question is: do I have to belong to a club to go to the rally, if so what club, who do I contact, and must I register in advance for the rally and who do I contact for that.

Thanks

Bill

Make sure to consider the BMWBMW Square Route Rally in Western Maryland. Get there early and stay in the bunkhouse. It's one of the best times I've had south of the Mason-Dixon line. I'm not a BMWBMW member but they treat me well when I visit. A great bunch of guys!

BMWBMW website

Don Hamblin said:
Screamin' Eagle,

My first rally (of any kind) was when I went to the "National" (back then it was only "national" and not yet "international") in 1977.

Everything changed for me after that weekend.

Look for my blue K1100LT next to another "dry" tent and say "hi!"

Don Hamblin
Madison, AL
'93 K1100LT :thumb

Hmm Don't I owe you a beer?
:thumb

Bill Hope Your Know

Bill, Beemers are special people. They are diverse, they are strange, they see the world different than others and they are just like you.

What makes us so unique is the machine we love and how we use it. We are riders, it is not about where you go it is about that you go. Because you will learn you can go.

We are riders. WE BELIEVE THE RIDE IS THE DESTINATION.

The machine is the finest pieces of two wheel metal on the planet. Others may not show but you can bet that your two wheel babe will show up for you each and every time. She is sleak, strong and will impress the others and most importantly she will bring you home when they are on the side of the road.

When others are ending the day you and and the babe will still want one more turn and another switch back, because she will want to show you one more reason why you made the investment and why she is worthy of you.
YOU MADE THE CORRECT DECISION.
Beemers of the Universe welcome you :twirl

Back