• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

newbie question re rally

screamin eagle

Probably a stupid question but, I have been riding Harleys all my life and I just purchased this RT two weeks ago and I don't know anything about the BMW people. So my question is: do I have to belong to a club to go to the rally, if so what club, who do I contact, and must I register in advance for the rally and who do I contact for that.

Thanks

Bill

screamin eagle said:
Probably a stupid question but, I have been riding Harleys all my life and I just purchased this RT two weeks ago and I don't know anything about the BMW people. So my question is: do I have to belong to a club to go to the rally, if so what club, who do I contact, and must I register in advance for the rally and who do I contact for that.

Thanks

Bill

Bill,

You do not have to be a member of anything to enjoy our rally.

Now if you put a Screaming Eagle kit on your RT.... :brow

Welcome to our world and I hope you make it to Lima.

Best,

Rob Nye
Secretary, BMW MOA
I like bikes

rallies

Hi Bill.

The only requirement to go to a rally is that you have to pay to get in.
I've never pre-registered, but you can save a few bucks if you do!

I'm not a member of any clubs but, I'm a MOA, RA & AMA member. Money well spent .

Which rally you talkin about? There's lots of them !

Welcome :wave

rally

Rob and Shag,

Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the international rally in Lima, Ohio.
I thought I would like to run around the track at mid ohio. My only problem is the leather requirement. I do have the full face helmet but as a Harley rider I wear jacket and chaps which is not permitted.

Those rules are put forth by SportBike Track Time. However I think to just do a lap you don't need to wear all the gear.

I think during the laps and lunch you can ride with whatever you ride with on the road. Unless it is shorts and a Tshirt and no helmet.
You must have long pants and a helmet to ride the laps and lunch.

rally

Gee I hope you guys are right. I'll try to check on that more closely as the time comes near. As I said, I do have a full face with the leather jacket and chaps. I also have leather gauntlets and of course high leather boots. I'm not totally reckless just because I ride Harleys.

Thanks guys

Bill Kute

hey Eagle. most of the guys I know that ride Harleys are too slow to be reckless, unless they have been tavern hopping, of course. We welcome you to the BMW community.

Local clubs

Screaming Eagle,

Although you don't have to belong to any club to attend, I highly reccomend you hook up with a local BMW club.

Since you're new to the BMW world a local club will be a valuable resource!

Where in Pa are you?

gsjay

Hello Screamin

Welcome to the world of Beemers!

I was a huge Harley fan, but when my wife and I went to a bike show here in Maryland, we found a great bike for us in the R1200CLC. It took a lot to lead away from Harley, and this was the bike to do it and I chose something that would make my wife comfortable on those long trips as well since I like having her as my co-pilot.

You will find as many of us already know, that riding a Beemer is a far different ride than other motorcycles. When you want to be motorcycling and become a bike enthusiast, I don't think you could have made a better choice.

Ride safe and as always...Ride On!

Hey, maybe you could use Screamin Beemin as a nick :D

Welcome Screamin'

My wife and I attended the national rally held in Spokane last year and had a great time. You will find that BMW rally's are a bit different than your typical biker rally. The BMW rally has seminars that cover everything from riding techniques to packing tips. Local day rides to interesting sites are plentiful. And the vendor village is all about BMW, featuring items that are imposible to find at most other rallys.

As you may have read in this forum, the entertainment this year is upgraded: George Thorogood and the Destoryers will play on Friday evening. How cool is that! An intelligent rally and great music all in one place.

And to RideOn: My wife bought a blue R1200CLC just before the Spokane rally and loves it dearly.

Beemer clubs

GSJAY,
I am right down the road from you in Pleasant Unity, westmoreland county.
I live 3 miles south of the Latrobe airport.

I spend alot of time at Zebka's on Eisenhower blvd.

Bill

Beemer

Captain 12RC,

So far I like the Beemr but I just got it in Feb and only have 1 thousand miles on it so far. I don't mind riding in cold weather but I won't venture onto snow and ice and we have had alot of that since I bought my bike.

I have wanted a Beemer for many years but couldn't bear to part with the Harley. Well I finally decided that two bikes was not out of the question and after I conviced my wife I got the Beemer.

My idea is to ride the Bmw on all trips that are more than two hundred miles. That way I won't stack up too many miles on the Harley causing it to depreciate beyond acceptance.

Beemer

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, this BMW will keep me broke with all the expensive services. I put 14,000 miles on my Harley and it hasn't cost me as much as the 600 mile service for the BMW. All that needs done to the Harley is change all fluids which I do myself. Cheap. 600 mile service for the RT was over 300.

After the 600 mile service unless you have 5 thumbs on each hand, you should be able to do the service yourself. I have been doing my own service on my bmw's since I figured out how easy it is. It will not void your warranty either.

Beemer service

lorazepam said:
After the 600 mile service unless you have 5 thumbs on each hand, you should be able to do the service yourself. I have been doing my own service on my bmw's since I figured out how easy it is. It will not void your warranty either.

Well I have been doing my onwn work on Harleys for many years but I was told that I would need special equipment to sync the throttle bodies and to service the IABS. AAnd that if it was done wrong the ABS would malfunction as would the fuel injection.

well every two years you have to have the dealer service the abs. If you have a carb stix, you can balance the fuel injection. If you are ambitious, there are instructions for servicing the abs online, but I choose to leave that to the dealer. since there are two injectors on the beemer, yes you do have to fork out 30 bucks for carbstix, or 70 for a twinmax. either way it is cheaper than paying the dealer to do it. Adjusting the valves is unbelieveably simple, just look at the overhead valve adjustment for dummies web site.

Guess I should mention that the '69 XLCH I owned cured me from ever owning another Harley. that POS would leak oil no matter what I did, including having the covers machined to cure it. It also ran like crap, and I could never get it to run right. On the other hand, the 45 cuin I rode for a couple years would always start, and ran like a top all the way to 70 mph, which was its top speed.

Back