• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New R1200RT- discolored exhaust pipe

Reel Job

Have a new R1200RT with almost 600 miles on it, and the exhaust pipes are quite discolored, is this normal?
Haven't tried to clean them yet, in for the 600 miles check/oil change next week.

Have a new R1200RT with almost 600 miles on it, and the exhaust pipes are quite discolored, is this normal?
Haven't tried to clean them yet, in for the 600 miles check/oil change next week.

Yup. 100% normal.

Yep, enjoy the patina of a single walled pipe (not double walled). If it bothers you, there are colored coatings but you should just enjoy the natural color.

Yup - that's what they look like after only a few hundred miles, if that.

BMW saves weight by not enclosing the primary exhaust pipes in secondary ones that are chromed, like most other manufacturers.

Even the 'chrome option' offered by BMW involves only chroming the original pipe - that only lasts for a while. In the battle of 'heat vs. chrome,' heat will always win.

Last edited:
Do you have the stainless steel or chrome pipes? The s/s pipes turn a sort of brown with the heat from the exhaust. The chrome turns blue. I have chrome pipes. They match the Barritz blau of my RT . :burnout

Rubber down
Rich
:usa

Mine now has 225 miles, and I'm seeing the same. I asked the salesman about the chrome option and decided that for the $, I really liked that look :thumb

It's the standard exhaust,stainless.
Not chrome, for $150.00, maybe that would hold up better.
To late now, anyone have success bringing it back to original?
Don't think thats going to happen.

It's the standard exhaust,stainless.
Not chrome, for $150.00, maybe that would hold up better.
To late now, anyone have success bringing it back to original?
Don't think thats going to happen.

Reel... Search Google or Bing "Polish BMW header pipes". Numerous links will appear showing products and experiences. I do agree with you. Can see a bike like the R1200GS having the turd brown header pipe color, but have had more than a few note it's a shame an expensive, classy bike like the R12RT has the ugly brown header pipe color, and that one must spend $150 for the double walled/chrome option (Which I do think looks OK with a blue/rainbow color).

See it's all in the eye of the beholder. I don't mind the exhaust color. It's been like that since my /5 and to me it's a sign of a stainless single walled pipe, which I like. I don't like weight for looks. Every pound saved is worth it to me. No chrome anywhere on my RT.

It is a waste of time to try to keep them pretty. You'll spend more time polishing than riding. It is a characteristic of the bike and just goes with the territory. If it truly bothers you, then invest in a professional coating; in the long run it will cost less than the endless supply of polishes you'll need to buy (not to mention the cost of treatment for the sore elbows).

It's my understanding that the chrome pipes that stay shiny are actually a pipe
outside a second inner pipe. It's not the chrome itself. A lot of extra weight to achieve a look.

I had a 2007 now a 2011, I occasionally spend a little time with a suitable polish like Simichrome and they clean up nicely without a lot of work. I sort of like the look after the Simichrome treatment. They will eventually turn brown again, but the Simichrome sort of evens out the brown.

Steve

My ahem "nature" would not allow my R12R pipes to discolor and have to be repeatedly cleaned. So I had mine ceramic coated by a company now owned by JetHot Coatings

IMGP4908.jpg

Much more pleasing to my eye, and it saves a bunch of time recleaning the things. Cost was sub $300.00 including round trip shipping. I have since found a coater in Indianapolis that does it so when I do the new Buell this winter I'll just drop them off.

Never understood why there aren't chrome pipe covers like what use to be available on airheads and what Harley's still uses today. They were/are held on by radiator hose type clamps. Think these type covers would work well for those bothered by the BMW pipe Blues.

Back