• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Help with FRS radio

smartin108

I would like to add an FRS radio to my Autocom SPA, but there seems to be a lot of options. This will get only occasional use so I am not too excited about the expensive path. I have been told that most any FRS radio will do, but I would guess there are specific features required to work hands free with the Autocom. I don't even know what I don't know yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I would like to add an FRS radio to my Autocom SPA, but there seems to be a lot of options. This will get only occasional use so I am not too excited about the expensive path. I have been told that most any FRS radio will do, but I would guess there are specific features required to work hands free with the Autocom. I don't even know what I don't know yet. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You just need the right Autocom cable. Also be aware that some FRS/GMRS radios have low audio into an Autocom system. It's best to go with one of the Autocom recommended models to be sure, or just buy what other folks have that is known to work at proper audio levels. I use a Motorola radio without trouble.

When you get down to it and have researched all of the FRS radios you will most likely find the Motorola's the top of the line. As such the new ones use a single extra long pin for the mic/ear phone and push to talk. Autocom has a cable for this.
https://www.autocomdirect.com/autocom/2348

I have two extra cables if anyone wants (<$) send me a note... stevesstuff-at-ureach-dot-com I upgraded mine to Ham gear and no longer need. These are barely used.

I use a Kenwood with my Autocom. Definately the 'expensive' option. However it works very well and has good range and sound quality.

The Autocom and the Kenwood support VOX -- eliminating the need for a PTT button. However, I found the button handy to have to reduce unwanted transmissions.

You can find them on ebay and craigslist for about $100.

Thanks for the the replies. One question on the Kenwood...how does the VOX work on the FRS? Does it also turn on the intercom?

The VOX is managed by the Autocom but requires a VOX compatible radio. And yes it does open the intercom channel also.

Back