• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Quiet Helmet

Dave_Faria

Slow & Easy
I know everyone wants a quiet helmet. Today I was down at Fry's Electronics and they have on sale active noise cancelling head sets for $20. I bought a set and they work. They are not very big and cheap enough to experiment with to see if they can be fitted in a helmet. Anyway if anyones interested I don't know how long the sale lasts. 3 to 4 years ago this technology sold for $300 to $400. The sale set is a Chinese product manufactured by a company named Colby.

Dave, we have Fry's here as well. Does that headset also have a mike for cell phone use? I have a headset like that now, and could use this as a replacement, if so.

I've got an older kevlar Bell Magnum, and it don't talk a lot...didn't have to get anything special, it just doesn't have a lot to say, most of the time...I like it.

It is just a std headset like you would use for a radio listening no mic. It is just $19. I was going to take one apart and try to install the ear pieces with the cushions in a helmet. The headset does have a female plug connection if you want to cannect a radio. read up on the technology so you know how they work. I think the headset electronics create a signal 180 degrees out of phase with the noise you want to cancel. You will need a little electronic skill to rewire the ear pieces if you can work out the install. I going to see if velcro might be stong enough to mount the ear pieces. If you get a set just try wearing them without a helmet around the neighborhood to see if they work for you. Mine made a difference and they were not tight and did not enclose my ear. I'm going to take the set I bought apart and probably try them on an old 1/2 hemet. They will be attached to the ear flaps. If they work at speed in the half helmet I'll try them to istall them in my full face Shoei RF1000. I wished I had a modular helmet.

This is a search of the fry's site. I just saw they had ear buds for $17. I got the $29.99 coby headset on sale for $19. Ear buds might be the way to go. They are cheap enough I might try both and then pick.

http://www.frys.com/search?search_t...+cancelling&cat=29794&submit.x=28&submit.y=11

I use a Zumo 660 and BT with the cell phone. With it, I use a Star1 headset made for it, and it has the mike. My HTC modular helmet has speaker pockets and the mike is on a post off the helmet so even when the face is open I can use it.

I'll stick with what I have because it works well. The 8Gb micro SD card in the Zumo has well over 400 songs and several audiobooks.

Back