• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Pennsylvania Town Names

For those of you coming to the rally from out of state, be advised that about half the towns in Pennsylvania have either "Penn," "Mifflin," or "Lewis" in their name. On the ride I have planned tomorrow, I'll go through Mifflin, Mifflintown, Mifflinburg, Lewisburg, Lewistown, and probably half a dozen places that are Penn-something-or-the other.

And to particularly confuse visitors, we sometimes use the same name for multiple towns. There is, for instance, a Red Lion in southeastern Pennsylvania and other one in the Laurel Highlands of the southwest.

So have fun.

Massachusetts is not without amusement.

Westborough is south of Northborough and Northborough is west of Southborough and Middleborough or Centerville are not even close to being in the middle. There is no Eastborough, and there is an Eastham and Easthapmton, but no Westham or Westhampton.

I could go on with Westfield, Northfield, Greenfield, Deerfield, Hatfield, Brookfield, Pittsfield, and Springfield, but prolly shouldn't.

In Vt. South Burlington is east of Burlington??? In Pa you also have colorful towns like Blue Ball, Intercourse, Bird in Hand, etc. There used to be a cute little dittly about a trip to Paradise Pa. and the towns you passed through on the way.

In Western NY we just have to teach you to pronounce them.

Avon is AV (as in avenue) on

Chili is Chi (as in tea) lie

Leicster is Lester

Charlotte is Shar-Lot

Pembroke if Pem-brook

LeRoy is La-roy

Westborough is south of Northborough and Northborough is west of Southborough and Middleborough or Centerville are not even close to being in the middle. There is no Eastborough, and there is an Eastham and Easthapmton, but no Westham or Westhampton.

I could go on with Westfield, Northfield, Greenfield, Deerfield, Hatfield, Brookfield, Pittsfield, and Springfield, but prolly shouldn't.

Correction: there IS a Westhampton! You can also visit: Peru, Florence, Berlin, East & West Berlin, Wales, Texas, Washington and Florida.

Correction: there IS a Westhampton! You can also visit: Peru, Florence, Berlin, East & West Berlin, Wales, Texas, Washington and Florida.

I live near Peru (pronounced Pee-RU) PA and I've driven thru Mexico, PA, but that's in the opposite direction of Frenchville, PA. The river town of Jersey Shore is located between the old lumber towns of Williams Port (Williamsport) and Lock Harbor (Lock Haven). To add to the mess, Lockport is directly across the river from Lock Haven.

Yes, it's a funny muddle of English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish and Northern German town names throughout much of PA. A few Native American names are thrown in for good measure.

I live near Peru (pronounced Pee-RU) PA and I've driven thru Mexico, PA, but that's in the opposite direction of Frenchville, PA. The river town of Jersey Shore is located between the old lumber towns of Williams Port (Williamsport) and Lock Harbor (Lock Haven). To add to the mess, Lockport is directly across the river from Lock Haven.

Yes, it's a funny muddle of English/Welsh/Scottish/Irish and Northern German town names throughout much of PA. A few Native American names are thrown in for good measure.

I'll pass through Mexico this afternoon after transiting Port Royal (which is neither). If you've been to Frenchville, did you make it to Paris or at least New Paris? Or if you went to Germantown or New Germantown, then to Berlin or New Berlin? Right after Newville you hit Newburgh. Littletown is but Pleasant View isn't.

I'll pass through Mexico this afternoon after transiting Port Royal (which is neither). If you've been to Frenchville, did you make it to Paris or at least New Paris? Or if you went to Germantown or New Germantown, then to Berlin or New Berlin? Right after Newville you hit Newburgh. Littletown is but Pleasant View isn't.

I used to work on East Berlin Rd., north of Hanover on the west side of York.

Funny Names

On my way to Johnson City a couple years ago I jumped off the slab in traffic and took backroads through Shickshinny & Frackville! Never forgot those names!:laugh

Ok I'm thoroughly confused by those boroughs! I may need a GPS after all.:banghead

on that note....to get to Boston you can take the Sumner Funnel, Sorrow Drive or the Misery River Bridge. If you make a wrong turn you might end up on the Southeast Distressway. In any case, remember that the South End is not South Boston, that East Boston is across the Haabah, the West End is North of the North End (pronounced "Naw TEN"), Dorchester is DOT, the Combat Zone is gone, but Chinatown is still there, Brookline & Cambridge are not Boston, but Charlestown is. I won't go on!

Back