• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Dating Forum Anyone?

So change the thread title to something else; possibly "interested singles" or "singles meet ups". Whatever.

My thoughts are simply it's just not worth a pissing match, Lynn. If you don't agree with the premise, don't participate.

I have no plans or any reason to participate. However, if the MOA is to support an active dating forum, under any name, then it will have to set standards for that forum thread. "SWM with K1100 seeking SWF with K1100 for long term relationship" looks innocent enough, but what about others like "SWM w/R100 seeks same"? Where do you draw the line without stepping on someones toes? This could be a huge legal Pandora's Box for the MOA.

It is my understanding that topics like politics, religion, and sex should avoided in any MOA forum discussion, and rightfully so. Yet, for many people, a "singles forum" will easily cross to any one of these three areas. Relationships, religion, sex and politics all go hand in hand.

I am not against someone finding a SO that likes to ride motorcycles. I just question if the MOA is the correct agency to make that happen. Surely a local BMW club or a formal online dating service for bikers is better suited for the logistics of this sort of thing.

Last edited:
The BMW Motorcycle Owners of America*was formed in April of 1972 as an all volunteer organization. According to the Articles of Incorporation the BMW MOA was formed for the purpose to operate and maintain a national BMW motorcycle owners club. The goal of the club is to promote the camaraderie and friendship of individual members and BMW motorcycle clubs

“The BMW MOA was established around thirty years ago “to foster communications and a sense of family among BMW motorcycle enthusiasts.” We take that to mean that we are here to take care of each other by pooling our collective experiences for everyone’s benefit. Or to make that even simpler, it is not the machines, but the people that they hang around with that make the difference. The diversity of today’s BMW motorcycle owners and their motorcycles makes for some interesting and exciting prospects. “

How those words of description are interpreted and the intonation you give interesting and exciting prospects will speak volumes on your take of this topic. The trouble with on-line discussions is the difficulty of getting intonation across in print.

Is the MOA 'supporting' actively supporting something when it allows members to come together in a way they choose and comply with the organization's behavior guidelines in the process?

Religion, abortion, politics and firearms the Posting Guidelines banned topics. Sex is discussed regularly in threads -overtly or covertly- but well within the limits of other behavior guidelines.

In my time on the forum I have seen: threads asking for dating advice, discussions about when and how to ask someone to marry them, how to get someones attention, GLBT topics, celebrations or weddings, on-line stalking of a member by their spouse as their marriage broke up, on-line group therapy of sorts for recently divorced and widowed. The forum members and moderators dealt with all of it. Sometimes quite nicely others not so neatly but the forum is still here and grew in the process.

I am more than a little dubious about the legal concerns over allowing a thread , for example, in the Campfire section. Frankly I believe the MOA is far more at risk with bad/outdated repair and maintenance advice posted with the best of intentions in threads or stickies. My biggest concern is from defenders of MOA Sanctity riding into threads and causing more trouble for the moderators and membership than anything that will go on under our current guidelines. Obviously YMMV.

I am not a member of a local club. Their meeting times, interest etc don't seem to work for me. (In Fly-Over-Land they can be as far or further away than dealers.) I would like to get together with single riders. My wife is gone, I am not particularly looking for someone to take her place. I don't think dating is my main or even a secondary interest. I love may married friends but frankly at times they are boring and completely out of touch with life as adult singles live it on a day to day basis. I would like expand my circle of single friends and ones that seem to share some of my interest.

This thread has had a interesting life. I don't think renaming it is the best idea but may work. A better idea would be for singles to start other threads and discussions focused at our interests and see where it goes.

So...after many, many threads on the BMW face book site on the subject I dared to create a page on face book...for singles to meet, gab, and maybe plan some events or simple meeting places. The site name is: BMW singles...hope to meet you there :)
:wave

This would seem to be a great answer. A common site/page dedicated to the singles who are searching for somebody...a lot are not. What are the pitfalls of a FaceBook site?

My concern as a moderator would be a date gone wrong and fellow member bashing that could result from the experience...or two members trying to get the attention of a third might result in some hurt feelings here on the forum.
I don't want to even try to get in the moderation headaches that could cause.And it will.
As Mika mentioned, there have been some issues even with married folks dissolving a union...ugly and hard to manage here.

Anyways, just thinking on screen here...I don't set the guidelines.

Do you go into the sidecar forum? Or the forum of a topic you have no interest in?
Then why should this matter... Don't like it? Don't read it. But do not deprive others if they want it.
My 2?ó.

I'm not depriving anyone anything, I'm merely questioning the idea, and voicing an opinion.

Leave it to the MOA forum to have a mind-numbing discussion of the pros and cons of a dating thread.

26 year old single white male here with a degree in "rocket science" and a garage of beat-up old motorcycles. Ladies, control yourselves.

Leave it to the MOA forum to have a mind-numbing discussion of the pros and cons of a dating thread.

26 year old single white male here with a degree in "rocket science" and a garage of beat-up old motorcycles. Ladies, control yourselves.

Ah come one. The choices are a mind numbing conversation here, the 'Nothing Thread' or just wait in silence for the pshyc eval of the word association thread.
:laugh

Old Folks Jam

80 year old male here looking for 80 year female with her own motorcycle, please send picture of motorcycle.

There are all sorts of dating websites... but there is not one that is geared to those who are single BMW motorcycle riders who are looking for someone who has the same interest... Yes, there are many local clubs, rides, rallies, and so forth that are put one where one can attend and meet many nice and interesting folks... If I happen to meet someone... I don't ask their relationship status... if they are married.. looking.. or so forth... and I don't mention that I am available and etc... I enjoy having nice conversations and meeting nice folks... I think it would simply be nice for an online site if it is on here or someone started one elsewhere where there are singles who are looking for someone of same interest... I am sure that this idea was not brought up to try to go beyond the guidelines of this forum...it was just a thought one had come up with that happened to voice their thought... I have thought about this for many years... wouldn't it be nice to have a dating website... singles website of folks who have a big passion for riding a BMW motorcycle...I would love to share the passion I have for my motorcycle with someone who has the same passion as me and it would be awesome to know that there is a place where I can go and talk to other folks who are single who has same passion as me. As like all other topics, there are going to be people that are for it... and people that are against it.

If a singles section happens, I would be for having it as paid for a small fee where only those have password subscription access... those who are interested can have access and those who are not interested will not even know it existed... and it wouldn't be in violation of the forums.

post # 276 ? wouldn't that work? BMW Singles on FB.

I don't think we have the tools to have a password single only area. It's one of those things that maybe other sub-groups would want as well and we are about community, not exclusivity. And who would police who is single or not ? I don't care who is or isn't ...but some might.

Still just thinking on screen here:dunno

vBulletin saves us from taxation on the possible outcome of mind numbing conversation. A victory for free speech and the right to gather in public on the forum.

:blush Oops...almost got political :brad Sorry :bolt

..and she rides too

Originally Posted by leesrt
I'm looking for a woman who is independant, makes plenty money, and is hot. .........

Sorry I got the last one of them 30 years ago, and she rides too. :heart

No, you didn't. I'm still out here. :brow Although my bike may be more hot than I am at this point but I guess that's a matter of opinion. :laugh I think I'm still pretty hot. Riding a R1150R now instead of the R65. As someone who is new to riding said to me at a recent rally "My, you have a lot of miles on you, don't you!" Ha, ha, more than you know!

catch me if you can! :) vroom, vroom :bolt

rapunzel (who wouldn't mind being caught........... by the right guy)

Participation on this thread and online dating

I have no plans or any reason to participate.

You already are participating..... :brow

snip, snip

I am not against someone finding a SO that likes to ride motorcycles. I just question if the MOA is the correct agency to make that happen. Surely a local BMW club or a formal online dating service for bikers is better suited for the logistics of this sort of thing.

This is going to sound a bit cranky, so I apologize in advance. I have to ask, have you ever done the online dating gig? It's no picnic. There are a lot of unsavory people in the world and winnowing those out is a lot of work and it can be a real downer. Something like 30+% of people on online dating services are married. Real nice statistic to deal with.... Running into that time and again just stinks. Having done the online dating thing in the past I am at the point where that is NOT a path I choose to pursue. I've concluded that it's better to be alone than deal with all the crackpots out there. And the dating service for bikers, is just that - for bikers (read H-D riders and poseurs) not BMW enthusiasts. Having a place for single BMW enthusiasts to meet and get to know one another within the MOA is a wonderful idea to me. One at least gets to meet new riding pals and that alone is worthwhile. Having that in the Campfire area of the forum works fine. I'm also gonna go check out the new FB page that has just been created for us single Beemerphiles.

I find it really interesting that this particular thread lay dormant for about a year and has woken up again just this month. I've had a lot of good laughs reading the thread and some good food for thought. Thanks everyone! Now I need to go get something meaningful (?) accomplished for the rest of the day! :laugh

rapunzel

I find it really interesting that this particular thread lay dormant for about a year and has woken up again just this month....
rapunzel

Possibly because posters finally gave up on complaining about the Sedalia rally and are now back discussing a dating forum...

Agree With NE

You already are participating..... :brow

snip, snip

This is going to sound a bit cranky, so I apologize in advance. I have to ask, have you ever done the online dating gig? It's no picnic. There are a lot of unsavory people in the world and winnowing those out is a lot of work and it can be a real downer. Something like 30+% of people on online dating services are married. Real nice statistic to deal with.... Running into that time and again just stinks. Having done the online dating thing in the past I am at the point where that is NOT a path I choose to pursue. I've concluded that it's better to be alone than deal with all the crackpots out there. And the dating service for bikers, is just that - for bikers (read H-D riders and poseurs) not BMW enthusiasts. Having a place for single BMW enthusiasts to meet and get to know one another within the MOA is a wonderful idea to me. One at least gets to meet new riding pals and that alone is worthwhile. Having that in the Campfire area of the forum works fine. I'm also gonna go check out the new FB page that has just been created for us single Beemerphiles.

I find it really interesting that this particular thread lay dormant for about a year and has woken up again just this month. I've had a lot of good laughs reading the thread and some good food for thought. Thanks everyone! Now I need to go get something meaningful (?) accomplished for the rest of the day! :laugh

rapunzel

rapunzell, You don't sound cranky at all, I am now a widower for 2 1/2 years, I am old (80) and I still ride. I was seeking companionship, not love, not sex. I tried several dating services, the ladies that weren't full of BS just plain scared me to death. I ask y'all seriously, at my age can you imagine going night cubing??? A dance possibly yes, diner and a few drinks great, quiet times all right, World traveler, hiking, skying, and night clubbing I don't think so. Besides all the good looking chicks were 40 years younger than me.

Rapunzel,

Earlier I posted , questioning the dating forum here. But questioning means perhaps i can be swayed . And you do make some good points. Let's face it, dating anytime after high school can be a challenge.

I was just cautioning the OP, against rushing things in his own case. And that's really none of my business . It's just that with the phony's & liars that you noted, and those with all the [what i call baggage] ....I just sometimes doubt it's worth it:scratch

Ron

Back