• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

mesh/summer pants??

the Wizard of Oz
Really? I've ridden for years in my blue jeans or leathers and now I have a textile (first gear i think )jacket that I like better than my leather for versatility and a pair of over pants with a liner and padding and all that stuff that seems de riguer these days. But I get a regular email from "Discount MC Gear" or whatever they're called now, and they've been advertising mesh summer pants. The wear alone kind.

My Q is: will I really be $150 happier come August when I'm off on my trip to the west coast and back? IA, KS, NE, IL get sticky long about then.

Who knows? Try it and see! Nobody else is gonna know what makes ya happy! Having said that, I'm with ya, I don't see spending $150 for a pair of pants when I can get something that does the same thing for $12.99 at Costco!!!

Mesh are pretty nice as a pair will air everything out including the twins. Anything else you are just sweaty. Make no mistake though if it is hot it is hot so you will still be hot just not stewing in your own juices. I think I paid $175 for my Olympia mesh.

You are going to get hot in the summertime riding no matter what you wear.

The key question is, when you go down and are dealing with the road rash, how valuable would those pants have been to you at the time of the incident?

Ya dress for the worst event and try to make it as comfortable as possible.

Summer Mesh pants

In my experience, Florida, summer mid-west & west, my First Gear mesh pants are a very good investment. The only problem with the First Gear mesh pants are the front zippered pockets, right and left just below the waist. I can hardly get my hands into them to retrieve anything. My First Gear overpants can be vented high and low but can still be quite cumbersome in hot weather. Hope this helps.

The TourMaster Flex pants treated me well with their removable panels. On a 2 month tour last Summer, they worked well when the Rockies were spitting snow and worked well with the panels removed when it heated up over 80 degrees. At 100 degrees - any textile pants or jeans are too hot. Highway pegs help with the spread eagle air conditioning effect. The pants also have front pockets, but I do not have the beer belly to make it an issue. Wallet and phone in the jacket pocket or tank bag always works best.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Flex-Pant-p-237_4.html

Personally, I find even mesh pants too hot when it's over 90 so I go with kevlar riding jeans or cargo pants. I know I'm sacrificing some protection but I'm willing to accept that.

Olympia mesh

Lots of opinions here, and thats good. My Olympia mesh pants took a little getting used to because so much air flows thru them that I feel naked! If you are moving at any speed, you will not be sweating. If you stop and start to sweat (traffic lights, construction etc.) you dry out immediately once you get rolling.
There are certainly days when its "too hot" to ride .... not that I cant, just that its not much fun, and no matter what you wear, youre gonna be hot (but not sweaty)! JMO

I've been using the Rev it Mistral pants and I've yet to find a summer weight pant with hip and knee pads that has as high a quality. For under $200 you can get a better set, IMHO.

They come with a rain liner as well that serves as an insulator when it's cold.

I've been using BMW vent machine pants, about $150.00 at summerfest weekend. I use them for most of the season and add performance under gear as a base layer when temps get near freezing. Olympia has a vented pant that has zip off legs so you can have shorts when you stop. I'd like to try them. BMW has a zip off pant (summer) but they don't breathe very well, if at all.

Motoport Kevlar Mesh Pants

I had Motoport make me a set of their Kevlar panst , plus I ordered the waterproof liner. They fit as they advertised and the liner is warm and waterproof. I have worn thses pants at 42 degrees C and as cold as 0 degrees C with no problems. Colder than 0 degrees I would wear additional long undies. Warmer than 42 degrees I suggest you ride naked.

They are well padded and are comfortable and I highly recommend this company. They alos make a pant that fits like your jeans. Just send in a pair and they wil make you a set of riding pants that fit the same.

Good luck and wear the gear.

I'm in!!!

Dave, I was considering the Rocky Bow Lunatic Fringe this year, but now I'm definitely in!! Not that many people are suggesting I do anything naked anymore. See you in August. I'll be the guy on the red RT wearing a smile.:hide

Last edited:
Back