• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Air pressure gauges-ON Article Reference

kantuckid

I'll throw this out there: In reading the recent ON article about these and the statement that said they all do a decent job(or something along that notion), I found that in conflict with my memory of some previous reads(way too long ago to be specific!) that said that many guages were way off the mark! This is not an effort to shoot down the author, just clearing the air on pressure guages. The common ones are still made the same as have been for a long time so not a tech issue either. I know,we haven't seen the remaining part of the article.
I have one that consists of a bourden gauge that was calibrated in the "gauge shop" in a former employers factory and attached to a short custom made hose and a chuck. After all these years it still reads the same as other digital/pencil guages I have scattered over a wide territory. Do they really all work fairly well? What about the Slime individual valve stem guages as seen in Wally World this week? They come in two pressures as they sell them.:scratch

I'll throw this out there: In reading the recent ON article about these and the statement that said they all do a decent job(or something along that notion), I found that in conflict with my memory of some previous reads(way too long ago to be specific!) that said that many guages were way off the mark! This is not an effort to shoot down the author, just clearing the air on pressure guages. The common ones are still made the same as have been for a long time so not a tech issue either. I know,we haven't seen the remaining part of the article.
I have one that consists of a bourden gauge that was calibrated in the "gauge shop" in a former employers factory and attached to a short custom made hose and a chuck. After all these years it still reads the same as other digital/pencil guages I have scattered over a wide territory. Do they really all work fairly well? What about the Slime individual valve stem guages as seen in Wally World this week? They come in two pressures as they sell them.:scratch

Part 2 is available for viewing..
http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_interest/the_pressure_gage_mysteries_part_2

p.s. We call the author of the article Mr. 'Calibration' on the local Mac-Pac forum..he's a stickler for accuracy and precision :)

It's all about calibration

I carried a pen style manometer for many years in my tank bag. Just recently I added a tire filler nozzle to my air compressor. I replaced the attached cheapo Mad' in China manometer with a better one. First check I thought wow, that new manometer is off the mark (too low) by 5 psi. Checked with one I carry in my car and it agreed more with the new manometer. Same at a tire store check.

Bottom line...for over ten years I was riding with a tire inflation 5 psi lower than I thought/it should have been.

/Guenther

I had a similar experience. The gage on my tire pump was reading about 8 low. I never would have caught it until I had to replace my front tire due to the center patch wearing out. I got a new gage (high quality with bleed off valve) and discovered I had my front tire at 44lb rather than 36. The rear was at 50.
I confiirmed the accuracy with my local shop. That was a $350 mistake after getting the new tires.

Who thinks the "tire store" has a more accurate gauge than the one in your toolbox?:lurk
I'm just saying theirs has been dropped and handled and used more than any of us casual users will ever think about using ours and they come from the same sources as mine.

Who thinks the "tire store" has a more accurate gauge than the one in your toolbox?:lurk
I'm just saying theirs has been dropped and handled and used more than any of us casual users will ever think about using ours and they come from the same sources as mine.

That's why I compare it against mine. If the two agree its called "confirmation".

That's why I compare it against mine. If the two agree its called "confirmation".
I'll try for "spoil sport of the month" award or better yet try to keep my resident curmugeon title: Ever hear of the saying-"two wrongs don't make a right" ? :dunno

Back