• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Will we be able to find a trailer at the Rally?

motocamper

Greetings
Jet and I are thinking of buying a trailer to haul our camping gear. Most likely a Unigo due to its small size and style but we are open to other types of trailers.
We are planning on looking over trailer setups at the rally and making our decision at the rally. We would like to buy the trailer and have it setup for the RT at the rally. (We are touring the Great Lakes after the rally.)
We have contacted Unigo and they have not decided if they will attend the rally. Unigo has not updated their event page since 2009. I have been looking for used Unigo for awhile.(no luck)

Tony

I have no way of knowing - each rally is a bit different vendor wise - but I don't recall ever seeing a vendor actually selling trailers and installing hitches since maybe the late 1980s.

Best Trailer

I have been towing a Bushtec Trailer since 1991.

What I did was look around at the rally and talk to owners of trailers that you find you like. The experience of these owners should help you make your mind up.

Look me up at the National I will gladly tell you about Bushtec!

Attachments

• DSC00648.jpg
    DSC00648.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 246
.... and we will be at the rally (look for the Salty Fog Riders banner) and can tell you a bit about the Uni-Go (we were the Canadian distributors a while ago). We called it the 'un-trailer' because it just did not look like the bike was pulling one.
Anyway, as much as we like the Uni-Go we really like the Bushtec very much as well. Darn thing is you know, the more space you have the more you pack in there. Next it's a motorhome with a trailer and on the trailer....... :whistle - Bob

This picture is when we arrived back to Larry's River (base camp of the Salty Fog Riders Rally) from a 11,000+ trip around the U.S. in 2008. Note the fog that greeted us!

October20083631.jpg

At the Rally in Tennessee there was a large display of side cars and trailers (Hannigan I believe). I recently purchased a Bushtec and really like the trailer. You can carry just about everthing but the proverbial kitchen sink. The weight is carried low and the suspension of the trailer allows it to track with no wobble and no bounce.

Greetings
Jet and I are thinking of buying a trailer to haul our camping gear. Most likely a Unigo due to its small size and style but we are open to other types of trailers.
We are planning on looking over trailer setups at the rally and making our decision at the rally. We would like to buy the trailer and have it setup for the RT at the rally. (We are touring the Great Lakes after the rally.)
We have contacted Unigo and they have not decided if they will attend the rally. Unigo has not updated their event page since 2009. I have been looking for used Unigo for awhile.(no luck)

Tony

If I were you I would buy a hitch and trailer before hand. Even if there was a dealer at the Rally that would be a time consuming process that would not be fun. I have installed hitches on three bikes and while not really complicated it sure is better to do it in your own garage or shop where you can take your time with the wiring especially if your RT is a late model you need the remote fuse panel plus the lighting isolator. In my opinion the Bushtec is the best for quality, reliability and capacity. Especially if you are two up. And it's made in the USA:usa

If I were you I would buy a hitch and trailer before hand. Even if there was a dealer at the Rally that would be a time consuming process that would not be fun. I have installed hitches on three bikes and while not really complicated it sure is better to do it in your own garage or shop where you can take your time with the wiring especially if your RT is a late model you need the remote fuse panel plus the lighting isolator. In my opinion the Bushtec is the best for quality, reliability and capacity. Especially if you are two up. And it's made in the USA:usa

I totally agree. There will most likely be a couple of pesky hitch challenges that, personally, I would not want to be managing in the July heat..... out in the open..... while everyone else is off to the beer tent :beer. You might also want to have some 'get acquainted' time with a loaded trailer before you ride off two up. Also, while am not entirely endorsing them, Uni-Go is also made in the USA with parts also made in the USA. Not sure if that makes them any better but it sure is best to support local whenever possible. - Bob

Greetings
Thanks for the replies.
jdubick and tourunigo are wise with trailer knowledge. I do not want to miss beer.
The used flea market unigo is not a bargin for me. I do not need the hitch and the asking price is has much has a new one. The unigo factory is a one day ride and this sounds like a good reason to take a over night trip.
Thanks Again

Greetings
Thanks for the replies.
jdubick and tourunigo are wise with trailer knowledge. I do not want to miss beer.
The used flea market unigo is not a bargin for me. I do not need the hitch and the asking price is has much has a new one. The unigo factory is a one day ride and this sounds like a good reason to take a over night trip.
Thanks Again

I would be very interested in your findings at the factory. We knew Mark Huffman way back when we both were distributors for the NZ Uni-Go and then Mary and I went on to work with Mark (in the early days of his factory development). I would say that he is the most knowledgeable person that I know regarding this trailer. Seeing the whole package first hand from the builder is a great way to make your final decisions. If you do buy and have any handling/performance questions please feel free to PM me. Load distribution is critical. One more thing that I notice in your note: "already have the hitch". A Uni-Go hitch is made to withstand the twisting forces present with a one wheel. A hitch which does not have the capacity for this will lead to a wobble effect in most cases :nono - Bob

Greetings
What a nice setup brewmeister.
We am looking forward to investigating trailer rigs. We are hoping to find a bushtec rig at the Georgia Mountain Rally.
Brewed 20 gallon of American wheat last week and kegging it this week. Next will be a little belgian session beer. Then a Wit for the RALLY
Tony

Back