• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Throttlemeister function

KevinRT

KevinRT
I have a Throttlemeister on my 08 R1200RT and I am not happy with the way it works. No matter how I adjust it, when it is on the throttle is LOCKED and the throttle cannot be adjusted in any way. If I back it off just a bit, the throttle is not held at all. It does this whether I have the heated grips on or off. I had a Bob's Wristrest on my 98 RT and I could adjust it so that it would hold the throttle but I would still be able to roll on and back off the throttle when underway. This was very useful, especially in heavier trafffic situations and in the twisties when throttle control is so important. I have the cruise control but I do not feel comfortable with it except in relatively open highway situations. I have a friend with a Throttlemeister on an 05 F650GS and she can vary her throttle with the Throttlemeister engaged so they don't all do it. Or is this a problem only with the hexheads? I am considering adding a bit of grease or oil to the Throttlemeister as a solution but I am wondering if anyone has done this or come up with another solution to make the TM work as I want it to.

Throttlemeister

I have one on my 2004 Roadster and it works great. I would suggest adding a spacer like the rubber ring you find inside a washing machine hose. You can buy the washer at any hardware store.

I had the Throttlemeister on my R1150RT and after adjusting it, it worked well. I actually contacted the manufacturer (in MN or WI?) and learned that it's not a matter of tightening the end screw but instead involves positioning switch/brake lever assembly. (A friend of mine insists on tightening the allen screw at the end but my observation is that that doesn't fix his).

But, now having the real cruise control on my R1200RT, I really don't see any need for a Throttlemeister setup. I tap the rear brake to turn it off and use the little lever to adjust speed up or down - it works great for me.

I also have a Throttlemeister (heavy version) on my '04 RT.
Adjusting its position takes a little patience; there is a very fine margin with where it is initially positioned. This initial position at installation will directly affect its performance.
Be sure you have really loosened all of the switch/brake/throttle assembly screws when aligning it - one of them is well hidden under a chunk of rubber (at least, on the 1100 & 1150 - I'm not familiar with the 1200).
The big flat-head Allen screw at the end of the grip is NOT part of this adjustment.

Last edited:
Why would you want a throttlemiester if you already have a cruise control on your 05 RT? I have an 08 RT and use my cruise control a lot along with a throttle rocker when cruise control is not engaged.

Jack

Contact

I would strongly recommend contacting Throtlemeister by phone and explain your problem and I am sure they will be very helpful. A great company with good customer service. I have had the meister on three bikes and never have had a problem.

I have had them before and no adjustment issues but the one on my r1150r is kind of finicky. It is affected by IF the grips are turned on or not but regardless , never likes to stay in adj. for a really long period of time. Due to my preference for stock grips and nothing in the way of using the smallest dia. section of the grips because of small hands, I don't know another choice , except to adjust them every few thousand miles. Yes, I have used the instructions to do the adj. procedure and still don't stay in .

Why would you want a throttlemiester if you already have a cruise control on your 05 RT? I have an 08 RT and use my cruise control a lot along with a throttle rocker when cruise control is not engaged.

Jack

Cruise control was an option in '05.

OP may not have it on the bike?! :dunno

+1 on contacting Throttelmeister. They may have a "tip" for getting yours set up properly. Obviously, it's in their best interest to have satisfied customers...

I have one on my R1150GS, and I love it. I had installed it myself, and wasn't completely satisfied. I had "Fred" from the Throttlemeister booth at the WI Dells Rally examine/adjust it, and it's great now. :thumb

Throttlemeister setup

I have contacted TM by email and will post the results when they get back to me.

On the weekend, I used the TM and while finicky, didn't seem nearly as bad as last year.

Some posters have asked why I need a TM when I have cruise. I do not feel comfortable using the cruise in heavy traffic or in the twisties as I am constantly adjusting the throttle in those situations. On the other hand, I don't want my right hand to cramp up by having to hold the throttle all the time. A TM or similar device solves both issues.

+1 on contacting Throttelmeister. They may have a "tip" for getting yours set up properly. Obviously, it's in their best interest to have satisfied customers...

I have one on my R1150GS, and I love it. I had installed it myself, and wasn't completely satisfied. I had "Fred" from the Throttlemeister booth at the WI Dells Rally examine/adjust it, and it's great now. :thumb
I'm not dissing them , but TM gave me no particular "TIP" to set mine up. I have the instructions, and they can email them to you as well. I can set mine up just fine & it may stay OK for a couple of thousand miles, but it always eventually needs fussed with to stay in working order. If there is a secret, I'd like to hear it:ear

I can set mine up just fine & it may stay OK for a couple of thousand miles, but it always eventually needs fussed with to stay in working order. If there is a secret, I'd like to hear it:ear

Don't know if this has anything to do with your issue, but ...

Heated grips can screw up throttlemeister adjustment. At least they could when I last used one on an 1150RT. If you have the TM engaged and then turn on your heated grips the expanding grips will cause the TM tension to get tighter. In some cases the expansion can push the either the TM outward or the control cluster inward just enough so that the TM will no longer work when the grips aren't heated.

I learned always to disengage the TM before turning the heated grips on and then re-engaging once the grips came up to temperature.

No question that heated grips "on" equals TM working vs. not working-at least until I adjust them again. Your idea may well be the case but certainly not very practical to not be able use them in tandem just to keep in adjustment.
Honestly, the heated grips are not much use when it's REALLY cold. I would'nt pay for them on a new bike. I will admitt to using them as a "spa" for my hands on a cool a.m. ride.

I have found that the TM's range of adjustment from fully off to fully on isn't great enough to cover the range of 35F w/o heated grips all the way up to 100F.

If I set the TM so that it will engage when it's really cold, in the hot summer it will lock the throttle even when fully disengaged. On the other hand, if I set it up for the middle of summer or when the grip heaters are set to high, it won't hold the throttle in the cold.

I have not been able to find a single setting that works at both extremes.

So I've got it set for summer / heated grips. It doesn't work in the winter for the first 15min or so while the grips come up to temp, but that's better than having to constantly readjust the right control module.

And to the OP's question, I have no problem finding a setting with just enough drag to hold the throttle position, but still easily adjustable when I need to. It feels like a throttle with no return spring.

I have contacted TM by email and will post the results when they get back to me.

On the weekend, I used the TM and while finicky, didn't seem nearly as bad as last year.

Some posters have asked why I need a TM when I have cruise. I do not feel comfortable using the cruise in heavy traffic or in the twisties as I am constantly adjusting the throttle in those situations. On the other hand, I don't want my right hand to cramp up by having to hold the throttle all the time. A TM or similar device solves both issues.

"Not comfortable using the cruise..."

Electronic cruise on a BMW can be disengaged by use of the clutch, or the throttle, or the front brake, or the rear brake.

Yet, you'd rather mechanically 'lock' the throttle with a TM?

For me, this is something of a head scratcher??? :dunno

"Not comfortable using the cruise..."

Electronic cruise on a BMW can be disengaged by use of the clutch, or the throttle, or the front brake, or the rear brake.

Yet, you'd rather mechanically 'lock' the throttle with a TM?

For me, this is something of a head scratcher??? :dunno

Think about it. Do you really feel that you want to engage cruise, disengage, engage, thumb up, thumb down, disengage, engage, ad infinitum as you roll along in traffic or in the twisties, or do you want full control of the throttle with your hand - without having to grip it and risk hand fatigue? This is becoming more important to me as my arthritis slowly grows worse. And that is my beef with the TM function - I don't want to 'lock' it - I just want it to hold hard enough that the throttle does not roll off on its own but light enough that I can modulate the throttle. Chalk it down to a personal preference if you must, but I have had this functionality with a Bob's Wristrest on an oilhead RT and friends have it with TM and others on their bikes, and I want it with the hexhead. Make no mistake, I love the cruise control - just not in every situation.

I knew a guy who used to remove the throttle return springs from the carbs in every bike he owned as he, too, liked a neutral throttle.

Think about it. Do you really feel that you want to engage cruise, disengage, engage, thumb up, thumb down, disengage, engage, ad infinitum as you roll along in traffic or in the twisties, or do you want full control of the throttle with your hand - without having to grip it and risk hand fatigue? This is becoming more important to me as my arthritis slowly grows worse. And that is my beef with the TM function - I don't want to 'lock' it - I just want it to hold hard enough that the throttle does not roll off on its own but light enough that I can modulate the throttle. Chalk it down to a personal preference if you must, but I have had this functionality with a Bob's Wristrest on an oilhead RT and friends have it with TM and others on their bikes, and I want it with the hexhead. Make no mistake, I love the cruise control - just not in every situation.

OK - cruise not to your liking.

But I never use it in the twisties, and rarely have to make 'adjustments' when on the open road. Something I would never be without again.

However, neither do I suffer (yet) from arthritis, so having not walked a mile in your shoes, just do whatever works best for your station in life.

Good Luck! :thumb

Back