• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Why do you ride?

Let me hear your reason for riding motorcycles. Go to

www.swriding.blogspot.com

and click on the article on "Why do you ride a motorcycle?". Scroll down to read it and give me your reason for riding. Also include how many years you have been riding. I think our reasons mature just as we do.

Thanks,
tsp

Last edited:
Cars move the body,.....motorcycles move the soul.

I like to think our soul as eternal, but only hanging around in our body for our time on earth. Short time that it is, anything we do for the soul to happily carry it along makes for a much better journey. On a motorcycle, my soul is happier, and then so am I. Like listening to sweet jazz music in the arms of your love.

Only dogs and motorcyclists understand pointing your nose into a headwind.

Let me hear your reason for riding motorcycles. Go to

swriding.blogspot.com

and click on the article on "Why do you ride a motorcycle?". Scroll down to read it and give me your reason for riding. Also include how many years you have been riding. I think our reasons mature just as we do.

Thanks,
tsp

I think I know. Check here

Freedom, control, exhilaration, being "there", it is a spiritual experience for me.

I wasn't aware not riding was an option. I started riding when I was 11. I road raced, toured the country, went on epic rides with my friends, camped with girlfriends and later wife. Motorcycles are such a huge part of who I am, my wife gave me a Yamaha Venture Royal for a wedding present (tho I think there was some self serving in there too since my sport bikes were not that comfortable on the back). I rode every day rain or shine. 16 years after I started, when my daughter was born I decided that I was no longer going to ride. It lasted almost 4 months. I did not feel complete and my personality changed. My wife also said I ride better than I drive and she preferred I ride. over 37 years on bikes (less that 4 months there) and over a million miles ... the day I can no longer ride will be my final day.

It's how I get around. My first choice is always to ride. I've been around bikes all my life and riding my own for 43 years. It's not something I even think about most times.:brow

The first ride who knows how long ago as a kid on that mini-bike left a lasting impression. Riding legally for 20 years, my first ride on my first bike was 300 miles to go 40 to return to the shop. I ride now because It just lets me think and be to myself even when riding two up. When my helmet is on, the world opens up and I am more aware of everything. My wife says my attitude is better when riding season is here, when its not, that means I just want to go riding.

My Dad taught me how to ride when I was 11, and he had a new R50/2. I drove it in big parking lots from then until street legal in NY at 17, and then to school for a year.

Lost it and Dad when he left Mom that year. He took it, and later remarried and when the young step-bro became FL street legal (15), I got the bike in a crate in Tucson, AZ. That was '81 and I rode it 'til almost '91 when he told me to park it, and later sell it, as it was "dangerous" now. I did, and ran other bikes for some years.

My current ride moves just like the R50/2 just goes, stops, and turns much faster. But COG of the low boxer engine makes its ride lovable and familiar. And, with ABS/strong disk brakes and Telelever, it can handle a crazy fast city like Phoenix.

The weekend treks are more fun, though. The bike handles anything I throw at it in our twisties around AZ, NM, UT, CO and other places.

Its a good thing that everyone doesn't ride, because too many people can't handle walking upright or driving a car.

For me? I ride because riding moves my soul. Driving a car simply moves my body.

When I'm riding my soul "flys".

That could be on the twisty back roads, a mountain pass, a dirt bike single track, sliding out of a turn with the rear tire spinning for traction on my ice bike. They all move my soul, and I am better for it.

Back