• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin 660 - Map Download

Old Rider - OK Mechanic
I have a new Garmin 660 with the new map update both on mu computer and the GPS. When I create a route on the computer and download to the GPS it downlaods the map set off the computer as well. This seems odd as the map set should be on the GPS ? Should I delete the maps on the download ?

Are you using Mapsource on a PC, or Base Camp/Road Trip on a Mac? When you upload your route to the GPS, does it not ask whether you want to load the maps (or are there not boxes to tick/un-tick depending what you want to upload?

I'm using MapSource

I'm using MapSource and the dialog box comes up that shows what is being downloaded, one of the boxes checked is maps. I always let it do this, but my question is if this is necessary as the GPS should have all the current map set already ?

Un-check the "Maps". Just transfer Routes and Waypoints and it will transfer these faster than you can say Lickidy split!!

Last edited:
I said "don't transfer maps" on a trip to Quebec a few years ago. It was a Zumo 550. When I got to a certain point in the trip, there were no maps on the Zumo, but it was still tracking. The 550 was supposed to have North America maps, but guess what? It was up to you to load them.

Lacking paper maps for backup that time, I had to abort the trip.

My advice is that if you elect to not transfer the maps when you are prompted, you should make darn sure that there are maps in your device for the area where you plotted your routes.

The 660 has a lot more memory than the 550, so this may not be an issue for you, but it's wise to check. Sometimes the maps you do have are base maps or vector maps, and not the detailed maps you expect.

Lost, eh?

Up here in the barren north, every gas station usually will have paper maps for old timers. How do you think we colonized the place.

Back